Allen-Heath iLive: First Impressions

• Members

Today was my first time actually using the board, even though the company we work with has had it for a few months now. Doing a corporate gig with a comedian, band, and DJ, for about uh 500 or so.

This is my first time using a digital mixer live, although I have done some mixes in a studio with a digidesign D-Command board. Once I figured out how to move between layers, how the aux mixes work, how the effects returns work, and paged through the menus, I had a nice mix going at soundcheck and found it easy enough to make changes to monitor graphs and adjust EQ, compression, etc.

The aux mixes are neat, you select the mix you want to adjust and all the faders fly around and you make your adjustments right on the main faders. Neat. Select your main mix, or another aux, and again the channel faders readjust to reflect the selected mix.

You can select a mix and pull up the graphic EQ, and with a button press you can breakout the EQ onto the channel faders... then you've got actual faders you can move around to adjust the EQ. Way neat, but took some getting used to when ringing out the monitors.

Notes:

- running ethernet cable is a lot more fun than running a 48ch analog snake.

- patching the mixer and snake head is so much easier with the network cable.

- 48 channels and i can't remember how many auxes... tons... all on a board that's smaller than my GL2400.

- centralized "master" channel strip is nice, don't have to hunt for the right knob in a sea of pots. just hit select and make your adjustments in the main screen. 5 band para-EQ, comps/gates, limiter/de-esser on every channel!

- it's pretty

- learning curve isn't very steep. the concepts are simple and getting to critical adjustments gets a lot easier after the first few times.

- at $30k I feel it's a really good bang for your buck.

I haven't looked into any options for interfacing with a multi-track recorder or protools yet, anyone know anything about that?

• Members

Which frame size were you on (fader count)? I've been dying to try one of these out. How many faders are used to control the 31-Band Graphs? On the M7 I'm mixing on right now, it's limited to the 8 centralogic faders which you page through, it annoys me every time I have to open up the EQ's.

• Members

It's the iLive 112. 28 faders, 20 channel faders. The GEQ breaks out onto the 20 channel faders. I'm not certain if the larger frames break out subsequently bigger EQ strips (32ch vs 20 ch) but I found this to be good enough. As I said, ringing out the monitors was kind of tricky.

• Members

How many faders are used to control the 31-Band Graphs? On the M7 I'm mixing on right now, it's limited to the 8 centralogic faders which you page through, it annoys me every time I have to open up the EQ's.

That's weird on the LS9-32 it pulls across 31 faders. I kinda wish they had labeled it though, figuring out which knob to pull for 2k is a little bit of guess work.

• Members

That's weird on the LS9-32 it pulls across 31 faders. I kinda wish they had labeled it though, figuring out which knob to pull for 2k is a little bit of guess work.

I'm guessing that that has more to do with the fact that the LS9-32 actually has 31 faders in a row. The M7 only has 16. I know what you mean about the lack of labels though... very frustrating.

• Members

I just worked a gig (as a muso) where the tech had been locked out of the LS9-32, never mind frequencies, he couldn't even get into the aux sends. He had to do some weird reboot using a fictitious name (or something like that). It was kind of scary - nice board though.

• Members

It can be set up so that you need a user key on a thumb drive or a password to sign in as a user. Each user gets a set of things they are allowed to do so they can't mess up the system in certain applications. That however by default is all turned off and there is no password. The only way you can get locked out is if the admin sets it up that way.

As far as labeling goes there is room for a strip of 1" tape to sit comfortably above and below the faders (and since my console rack is tall and I sit when I get bored on the front of the arm rest), however I would have a hard time using that space for anything other then channel labeling (especially with all the various layers).

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. I'd love to hear more about the operation of the iLive and how it compares to any of the systems in it's price range and below. It seems to be pretty pricey and I'm not really sure what feature it has to justify the price.

Archived