So I broke my powered mixer...

• Members

I just want to know why. If I can fix it/get it fixed for cheaper than a new one, that would be nice too.

We hooked it up for the first time the other day, and it stayed on for one second. Now, whenever you plug it into a power point by itself and turn it on, the light on it will flash and it'll come on for one second, then just shut off.

I drew a picture of how it was hooked up. I think that an instrument lead might've accidentally been used to chain the two main speakers together, but never into the powered mixer as far as I remember.

pasetup.gif

• Members

What power mixer (make and model) is it, and what are the Ohms of each speaker and monitor. With 8 Ohm speakers/monitors, the power mixer will only be seeing a 2 Ohm load. A lot of power mixers have a 4 Ohm load minimum.

Looks like 2 power amps Chip, each amp with 8 ohm speakers would be seeing a 4 ohm load.

Could easily be a bad amp. Does it do this with nothing plugged in?

• Members

1000w powered yamaha emx 512sc, two 500w yamaha speakers, 8oh

s I believe but they don't clearly say, two 200w 8 ohm monitors

The Yamaha EMX512sc is a stereo power mixer (two amps), so each amp is only seeing a 4 Ohm load (two 8 Ohm speakers in parallel equals 4 Ohm load). You should be o.k. as far as the Ohm load. Most likely something is wrong with your amp.

• Members

I run a Yamaha EMX512sc into 2 Yamaha S115Vs (8 ohm each) for mains and 2 JBL EON 10s (also 8 ohm each) for monitors and it works just fine. Your setup is fine, it must be something else. Did you look at the troubleshooting guide? That is if there is one in the user manual?

• Members

I just took a look at the troubleshooting guide that is in the user manual. The EMX512sc will turn itself off automatically if it thinks it's overheating. Turning it on for 1 second shouldn't be causing it to overheat. However, it could have a faulty sensor that is making it think that it is overheating.

• Members

I just took a look at the troubleshooting guide that is in the user manual. The EMX512sc will turn itself off automatically if it thinks it's overheating. Turning it on for 1 second shouldn't be causing it to overheat. However, it could have a faulty sensor that is making it think that it is overheating.

Unlikely.

There are other protection circuits involved, that is why I asked the question I did.

• Members

I run a Yamaha EMX512sc into 2 Yamaha S115Vs (8 ohm each) for mains and 2 JBL EON 10s (also 8 ohm each) for monitors and it works just fine. Your setup is fine, it must be something else. Did you look at the troubleshooting guide? That is if there is one in the user manual?

Yep, but it tells me nothing. We have those same S115Vs as well. Do you wire it the same way as my diagram?

Would an instrument cable chaining the two S115Vs be enough to short something?

• Members

Yes, I wire the S115Vs the same way. An instrument cable, although not ideal, shouldn't cause a short.

Again, the only thing that I read in the troubleshooting guide that would cause a power down is overheating. Since this is happenning without any speakers plugged in, I still think it is a good possibility.

I'm not a tech though, so I would probably contact Yamaha at this point.

• Members

The instrument cable while is a bad thing shouldn't cause that kind of damage. What does cause damage (user anyway) is when a cable is plugged in 1/2 way or not all the way in causing a dead short between + and -. That would most likely cause the amp portion of the unit to fail but not the main power supply. My uneducated guess is the power supply failed and had nothing to do with the speaker wiring. It's a good powered mixer and definitly worth getting repaired. Find an authorized yamaha repair center, they can get parts much easier.

• Members

Yes, I wire the S115Vs the same way. An instrument cable, although not ideal, shouldn't cause a short.

Again, the only thing that I read in the troubleshooting guide that would cause a power down is overheating. Since this is happenning without any speakers plugged in, I still think it is a good possibility.

I'm not a tech though, so I would probably contact Yamaha at this point.

You clearly misunderstand the nature of the protection circuits in the unit.

I can now say without any hesitation, it's not a thermal fault. The remaining possibilities for this amp are a power supply failure, an amp failure with DC offset that shut down the outputs (protection), or a rail to rail/ground short that caused the power supply protection to open.

Time to take it to a service center. It's not user-serviceable.

Archived