Best value in wedge monitors?

• Members

Looking to upgrade our foldback monitors. Currently have 2 JBL G731s and 2 Peavey 112TIs. Running two monitor mixes currently. Really like the footprint of the JBL wedges, just wish they had more bass although they've been working fine for a vocal/guitar mix. The JBLs are beat though... and the Peaveys are worse. Also, we play small stages around here. Looking to get something compact that won't break the bank like an EAW Microwedge.

Have thought about going powered or to IEMs... but really like the amps/EQs we have for the foldback system and the fact that it's all in the roller under our gig rig so we don't have to haul it unless we need it.

Thoughts?

• Members

I can recommend the JBL SRX 712m. They are small, light, great sounding & get frightfully loud if needed. I think they're cheaper than the EAW's. They can be had for around $950 ea if you shop around (you weren't too specific about what bank you couldn't break).

• Members

Thanks!

What're your thoughts on wedges with the horn on top vs. monitors with the horns at the side vs. coaxial?

I've been trying to pay attention when I get to play on stage with someone else's rig and so far, the HPR122i monitors at a local venue were the best I've used in the powered category and I thought that their coverage was better in single monitor applications than other "horizontal" boxes I've used including PRX512M. (...understanding that too much coverage can also be a problem.)

We only ever have room for a single monitor/musician though, so I need a little wider spread as we DO like to move around. FWIW, I was also impressed by the EV TourX wedges for their horizontal coverage (same reason I like my little JBLs) although you had to be right on top of it to be in the vertical plane.

I know there was a thread about the Alto coaxial awhile back, but the search function is still not working for me... curious about that one as well.

Looking to spend

• CMS Author

Wedge coverage is so site-specific that's it's really hard to make a general statement that's useful. As you wrote, sometimes wide patterns are troublesome, sometimes they're just what you wanted.

No, the PRX are several hundred more than MRX (~$900 vs ~$600), unless there's some killer deal on PRX out there. PRX run about the same as SRX passive.

• Members

As a band owning your own system, I'd stick with horn on the side wedges that have a pole mount. This gives you a FOH backup in an emergency or if you need more FOH speakers for an event. I'd also think they'd appeal to a wider audience if you ever sold them. The MRX would seem to fit your needs and budget.

• Members

I also like the idea of buying a product made in the USA as well...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ... out of what?

I used the Radian wedges for years and they are great. I also used an old Peavey coax back in the 80's (best speaker they ever made).

I haven't tried the Carvins, so I couldn't endose them ... but it's great looking on paper. I also have never tried, but would like to, the Cerwin Vega coax monitors.

Coax rocks!

• Members

Thanks!

I know there was a thread about the Alto coaxial awhile back.

Here's some info on the Alto MS12MA coaxial monitor. It uses a 16-voice "modeling amp"????:confused: An invitation to feedback???

http://www.altoproaudio.com/index.php?template=3&id_prod=122183472405707&id_padre=

There's also an 8" version, and a 10" version;

http://www.altoproaudio.com/index.php?template=5&id_padre=121628127408787

Here's an online dealer;

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=59948

Bob

• Members

So, you're supposed to ask the talent if they prefer MicroWedges, EV, JBL, etc and switch their modelers to that
:eek:
? That's just whack
:facepalm:

EAW's high end processor, the UX8800 has 3 different greybox settings for the EAW MicroWedge. Alto has copied the concept and offers 16 different settings...I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Dennis

• Members

+1 for the Yamahas as a good value at their price point (as voted by my wallet). IMHO, the minimum for musical monitors.

+1 for the JBL's mentioned above (MRX-512) at the next price point.

The JBL SRX712's are awesome speakers too, at a higher price point (we have these for FOH now).

As you go up in $$$ you get better speakers, with more bass and the ability to use more power and get more volume. There is a theme here...

What's your budget - and real need? Any of these will keep up with a typical drummer on stage, all can be drowned out by guitars with stacks playing (way too) loud.

• Members

Thanks all... I've got what I need I think... unless there are more folks out there that have used the coaxial stuff.

FWIW, I get plenty of volume from the monitors we have, but we're getting better gigs and would like to look a little more "put-together" and just can't justify the time and money to totally rehab 20+ year old wedges. Dropping some weight would also be nice! Heck, swapping all four for the MRX512m monitors would drop nearly 80lb!

Archived