singing drummers and horrible PA's

• Members

hey fellas,

newb here. my group plays some pretty horrid venues, many of which just have a powered mixer and a couple of 12s or 15s out front.

for the guitar players, we can sometimes catch a break and angle the "mains" towards us so we can hear a bit of what we are singing, but our drummer/singer is completely hosed in these situations.

we have tried using a single wedge monitor chained from one of the mains but without an individual volume control this often leads to feedback.

so basically i'm looking for a portable monitor solution with volume control.

thanks!

• Members

You could just run a xlr "y" off his microphone ( if thats all he needs) into a powered monitor. or if you already have a small practice PA and its just 2 or 3 vocal channels you could "Y" those off tho your PA. Although Even most PA heads have a unpowered monitor out/ prefader aux with seperate monitor controls, wich you could use as well to a powered speaker.

• Members
75 wats RMS? if this was chained from the mains wouldn't we destroy it?

If switched to 16 ohms and turned down it should be OK. It uses a transformer type step attenuator so only sees a fraction of the mains power if turned down. If the PA amp is more than 500w into 8 ohms it could still be a problem. Anyways without a separate anti-feedback equalizer for the monitors you're not going to be able to turn them up near as loud as a real monitor setup.

• Members

If switched to 16 ohms and turned down it should be OK. It uses a transformer type step attenuator so only sees a fraction of the mains power if turned down. If the PA amp is more than 500w into 8 ohms it could still be a problem. Anyways without a separate anti-feedback equalizer for the monitors you're not going to be able to turn them up near as loud as a real monitor setup.

Check your link. It goes to a really crappy Kustom floor monitor. 75 watts, 93dB. You'd never hear it on stage.

• Members

110db @ 1 meter - plenty if on a stand next to the drummer for just vocals
:p

Not in my experience. I had a band mate bought the 12" version of that thing. Feeding it 200 watts it may as well have not been there. That low efficiency just doesn't cut it.

• Members

12" powered monitor is a great start. I was suggesting powered in my first post, sorry I didn't realize you were planning on daisy chaining from the amp.

Look at the PRX512 or QSC K10. There are also others ( the EONs come to mind) that will be loud enough for the drummer to hear himself. Trouble with singing drummers is wedge location to help reduce feedback. In ears are best but everything will have to be miced.

Allexcosta probably has the best answer....

• Members

thanks for the quick response. those are too expensive for us, i should have specified i was looking for a budget solution.

would it be possible to run a chain from one of the mains into a tiny little mixer, then into a passive monitor?

• Members

Not unless they're active mains. Just running a out from a power amp into a monitor won't work (or at least, won't sound good and may cause problems).

There are cheaper products than the PRX that will work, but it really depends what product you're looking at.

I'd second the recommendation for headphones, (you can just get one of those cheap headphone amps - Behringer sell one for $50 that splits vocal mic and a monitor send. That price is Australian $$$ too - at that price, you can afford 2 and throw it out if (when) it fails) but drummers generally don't like headphones.

Failing that, check out what powered options your local store has and then check some opinions on here. I agree that the PRX would be your ideal.

I've heard some people on here describe wharfedale as being a decent budget option. My experiences havent been the best with their subs, but i have never used the powered wedges.

• Members

these work great to if you wanna slap a pair of headphones on him and he can just tap into the mains and control his volume perfectly..

please excuse my ignorance but how would we go about tapping into the mains? chain from one of the mains into this headphone amp?

• Members

My band just went to WIRED in ear monitors and will NEVER go back to using stage monitors again. An extra cord on a guitar cable is well worth not having to screw around with stage montors, monitor feedback headaches, etc... Besides that, it was EASY and cheap! Not to mention carrying all that monitor stuff around and actually being able to clearly hear each other! I put a condensor mike on my amp and pump a little to my ears via a aux send and all is fine with the world!

• Members

UMT,

Would you mind describing in detail what equipment you found to do what you just described?

I would be interested in knowing what gear it takes, how you set it up, and even where you got it.

I think it would be an alternative solution to the OP as well.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I would be interested in knowing what gear it takes, how you set it up, and even where you got it.

Hope you don't mind if I describe what I've used too...

On the cheap and works surprisingly fine...

This:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-HA4700-Powerplay-Pro-Headphone-Amp?sku=240107

Few of these:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B0015V1H28/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And a few of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

If you've got more than 4 aux/musicians there's the 8 channel powerplay. Y cables and connectors are a cheap option too...

For around 250 bucks you have everyone happy, zero feedback and a clean stage.

Ear buds should work fine too...

• Members

how many vocals do you have? what els is going into the monitor

3 vocals. nothing else is going into the monitor besides vox as this solution is just for the crappy venues that simply do not have monitors. at normal venues we do fine with the provided wedges.

i'm really liking that headphone tap, but what would happen if there was some feedback? would it blow my drummers head off if he was wearing earbuds?

Archived