Speaker Cables

• Members

I'll second (or third) the suggestion for EWI and Audiopile.

Another possibility is to get some SO or SJO cable of an appropriate gauge from a local electrical supply, Lowes or Home Depot and make your own. Audiopile also has a good selection of quality connectors.

Avoid marketing hype and brands that claim superior sound due to their materials and construction, it is all about physical construction, quality terminations and the appropriate gauge for the length of the cable run. The thicker 600v neoprene jacket of the SO cable makes it very durable, regardless of the brand.

• Members

Getting the local Lowes/Home Despot it can be a grab bag for the jacket type. I bought some carol 14/2 once are really didn't like the way it laid out. So I bought more EWI, much better! I like to buy in bulk and build the cable myself, not a cost thing but I've been doing it so long they'll match the other cables. Most stuff is 13/14 gauge except the 30 and 50' which is 12 ('cept 4cond. which is still 13ga for mid/high use).

• Members

Audiopile also labels each cable on each end with it's size and length, a nice touch.

I bought most of my cables seaching 12 AWG or 12GA and similar on ebay. With a little patience you can find decent deals on long cables and then cut them to length. I pretty musch use all SPEAKON now so those can be terminated with just some wirecutters/strippers and a screwdriver, REALLY EASY.

Boomerweps

• Members

Once you're looking at decent good quality cable other factors come into play like how it coils/lays, type of ends, servicable or replacable. Rapco, whirlwind, horizon, CBI & EWI all make great cables that aren't that expensive. I really like the low end rapco with the nuetrik ends they sell at GC, also really like (and will buy more of in the future) the EWI starline or whatever base model with the non-nuetrik ends. I have sooo many now though I can't see buying anymore. At this pont any cabling I need is for inside racks and I prefer foil shield install cable since it doesn't get moved. Anything that gets plugged and unplugged with each gig is EWI/rapco, install for other stuff.

• Members

Let me back this post up by asking this first, which I should have asked before I asked which cables to buy: Is there any truth to the fact that a better cable will make a difference and improve the sound?

Jack

For live applications...not really.

• Members

So it's a lie and just a sales pitch?

Jack

Regarding sound quality... yes (for the most part).

Regarding handling, lifespan, reliability... there are better quality cables that are netter in these regards. In many cases this has little to do with price, which is why experience and reputation is important.

• Members

Let me back this post up by asking this first, which I should have asked before I asked which cables to buy: Is there any truth to the fact that a better cable will make a difference and improve the sound?

Jack

As long as you have sufficient guage/length ratio, then it won't improve the sound at all. The things to look for are durability (of both the jacket and the connectors) and flexability (is it stiff and have a memory (OK no jokes about what's the first thing to go - Please!)).

• Members

Jack

It can't be a fact if there isn't truth. :confused: So it should be "is there any truth to the idea". After that you have to define "better". How do you define "better"?

• Members

I'm reminded of a post a couple of years ago where a bunch of audiophiles did blind comparison tests on different speaker cables. The one that the majority picked was a coat hanger:D. Once again, as long as the guage/length ratio is sufficient for your wattage application, there is no SONIC difference.

Archived