Samson D1500 RTA - Thoughts?

• Members

I know nothing of the Samson D1500 but rackmount, hardware RTAs are sooo 80's. Do you have a laptop? It seems like what you would pay for the D1500 should buy a good software RTA that would do 1/24th octave or better.

Dennis

I have a laptop. Can you recommend software? Does the software have white/pink noise generators?

• Members

The software I have is way more than a RTA and is fairly expensive. I haven't looked for a stand alone RTA program before, but I could. You could also Google "RTA Software" and see what comes up and then post a link here. I guess we would have to find some fairly cheap or free software because you will still need to find an audio interface for your laptop. Maybe you already have one for recording. Most software I have seen has a noise generator.

Lets see what we can find.

Dennis

• Members

The software I have is way more than a RTA and is fairly expensive. I haven't looked for a stand alone RTA program before, but I could. You could also Google "RTA Software" and see what comes up and then post a link here. I guess we would have to find some fairly cheap or free software because you will still need to find an audio interface for your laptop. Maybe you already have one for recording. Most software I have seen has a noise generator.

Lets see what we can find.

Dennis

Found this - http://trueaudio.com/

BTW, I see you are in SoCal. I'm in northern San Diego county.

• Members

I have a copy of TrueRTA.. .it works but is also kind of buggy. Worth about what I paid for it.

I just had a look at the free 1 octave version which is useless by it self but it appeared to have all the functions necessary to make it useable, Please explain "buggy"...I hate "buggy".

Dennis

• Members

We will be using the PA in different locations so I want to be able to tune the system to establish a good starting point for the different rooms.

That's pretty much what i figured. It has been my experience that RTAs are poor tools for tuning rooms. The problem lies in the fact that an RTA cannot differentiate between room modes, reflections and speaker response. You can certainly use it as a starting point, but keep in mind there are other factors at play that cannot be eliminated with a equalizer. Your best bet is probably to setup the system outside where you can "set it flat" with the RTA. Keep these settings are your base and then modify them to suit the rooms from there. Does that makes sense?

Archived