rta - smartphone/laptop/rackmount - opinions?

• Members

Do the smartphone apps have a useable RTA or are they mostly a gimmick?

Does a good freeware RTA download exist? (link?)

Aside from component durability/failure is there any real reason to use a rackmount processor with RTA (driverack etc) vs. a small laptop (or handheld?)

• Members

I have an RTA app on my iPhone just called "RTA". While it isn't anything I would call 100% accurate or anything, it has come in handy when a friends bands new sound guy had trouble with feedback in one of the monitors. I launched the app, went to the mic, cupped the mic, identified the frequency with the RTA app, went to the board and cut that frequency, then went back to the mic to check it.

Feedback was gone. So in just one use it was worth the $9.99 I spent on the app. I freely admit that my weakest area is identifying feedback frequencies. My ears aren't that well trained yet.

I hear that the apps are usually better and more accurate if you use a headset mic or can get another external mic that hooks up to the phone, as they have more dynamic range than the internal mic, which maxes out at 104dB I believe.

• Members

Do the smartphone apps have a useable RTA or are they mostly a gimmick?

Some of the iphone apps are the real deal but they are not free. The following link is to a thread on the Rational Acoustics website forum that addresses the topic.

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149&highlight=ipod

Rational Acoustics is the current regrouping of most of the old SIA staff and purchased SMAART from EAW.

Dennis

• Members

Some of those iphone ipod touch apps look pretty solid, thanks for the link. Seems there are some Android based apps as well.

I'm drawn to the simplicity of the handheld. Heck, with one of the apps the ipod can be used to remotely cue a signal generator from a laptop.

I've heard mixed results on TruRTA and appreciate the feedback AH.

• Members

There's a lot to be said for having a good quality RTA program on a laptop. If you are using it to fix specific issues, you can select 1/12th or 1/24th octave response and zero in on the exact frequency, then fix it with a PEQ (rather than having to dump 2 side by side bands of a GEQ).

Even if an iphone app gave you 1/24th octave response, it would be difficult to use because of screen size. It would be tough to see the details on a screen that small.

I guess it all depends on what you are using it for.

Dennis

• Members

FFT by Studio Six Digital is quite a good little iPhone app. My favorite feature is that it pops up a little window telling you the hottest frequency at any given moment. This is great for ringing monitors when using parametrics. It is limited by the SPL limit of the iPhone mic, but there are aftermarket solutions, including one or two from Studio Six. They are also working on Smaart for the iPhone.

Archived