Yamaha MG166C 16-Channel w/Compression

• Members

Does it do what you'll need it to do? Limitations seem to be:

1 - Only 2 pre-fader aux sends. This is 2-3 less than a full band would likely need.

2 - Only 10 channels with XLR's

3 - Only 8 channels with inserts (probably enough for most applications)

4 - Swept midrange EQ only on 8 channels.

• Members

For small (3-4pc) bands it's a really good mixer. Kind of like a mackie 1604 with a few less channels and fx/compression. Add some 31 band eq's and you're off and running. Why don't I have one? well, for the same physical space you can get a Yamaha 01V with 12xlr, more this and that. Higher learning curve too. I think for a band just playing the local bar circut with not too demanding monitor needs it works just fine.

• Members

We have an MG206C-USB, which replaced an MG1204. Really like it. It does have one more aux bus than the 16 does, and I really needed all 4. Didn't need the FX so can't comment on them. Everyone in the band, and some fans who've heard us play several time, have commented that it sounds better too; I like to think that's due to my tremendous talent :p but, er, probably not :)

Agree that I don't like the wall wart power supply, but I keep it well secured inside the rack and at least I can get a spare to keep on hand. Otherwise, quite satisfied for the $$$$$ and suits our 6 piece bar cover band just fine (and the budget).

• Members

I have the MG166-C USB. Purchased it because it was an incredible deal at the time. I agree with the in-line lump power supply; very awkward and you have to be creative if you want to mount it in a rack.

Depending upon what your need is, it could be just want you need or you can quickly out grow it.

Like what has already been said, it has 3 Aux sends, so if you run F/X's you'll lose one of the Auxes. The compressor is only on 6 of the channels and helps if you don't want to haul around a rack full of compressors, but don't expect anything near dbx 266 compression performance.

I have yet to use the USB function.

Overall, for the value, it's a basic mixer with enough flexibility for a small band.

• Members

This is "sound" advice.No pun intended:thu:

While I think it's worth the investment, it will be considerably more $$$. Figure $500 - $650 for a used V1 or V2 Mixwiz. Although a not so close second place, you could take a look at used Mackie VLZ mixers.

HERE is a custom ebay search for mixers that takes out most of the garbage. There are actually a few of the Yamaha boards on there that are currently at $199 and end soon.

• Members

I own a Yamaha MG166cx mixer and I am not a fan of them at all.

I bought it to use in my rehearsal space to replace a piece of crap Mackie 1604VLZ and I should have spent a few more dollars and bought ANYTHING else.

Not at all impressed with the on-board compression or the built in effectes (CX version). Pretty cheap sounding as to be expected in it's price range but really boarders on un-useable for the most part.

Horrible sounding fuzz/crackle sound when a channel clips the preamp gain......even when the preamp gain clip light indicates NO clipping :confused:

I would look at a comparable Peavey or I hate to say it.....Behringer mixer if you are looking for something on a budget.

Just my opinion.

• Members

I've used the older series Yamahas (MG12/4, MG 16/6) that are basically equivalent and the Behringer 2442 whatever it is, and there is no comparison: Considering that (here in aus anyway) they cost much the same, you'd get the Yamaha every time.

The Peavey PV series, looks much less featured than either the Behringer or the Yamaha. It doesnt even have sweepable mids i think?

Have been shopping for a mixer in this category to replace my old Yamaha - have found this thread interesting.

You might consider a soundcraft EFX mixer - similar price range.

Archived