GAS in overdrive!

• Members

Happy Holidays, All!

Okay... I have an "opportunity" to pick up a dbx driverack pa - no RTA - on what I think is the cheap ($250. is it??). Here's what I have and you guys can tell me if I should pull the trigger...

Still have the Carvin TR-1801's and TR-1503's (2 ea.) and the mongrel monitor cabs (2 @ 8ohms ea.) and Soundcraft FX16.

Have a Be... Beh.... Behri... oh, you know the brand, twin 31-band EQ (1channel for main, 1 channel for mon)

and a dbx 223xl crossover.

Some outboard comps and gates (TC Elect & Behr) on insert channels off the board.

FX16->EQ->223->QSC GX5->1503 in stereo.

FX16->EQ->223 summed->Crown XLS602->1801's.

FX16 Aux ->EQ->602->mons. - one channel daisy chained.

Have backup XLS402 sitting in the corner.

Should I grab the driverack PA? If so, what would be the benefits? Could/should I get rid of the 223 and get back some $? Or am I just suffering GAS and need to take a Zantac and let it go. I've searched the forum and have read numerous posts - some pro, some con. What do you all think given my equip list. Thanks in advance for your help!

Stix

• Members

Yes, I understand the DRPA accepts the RTA, just that this particular unit doesn't come with one - 'bout $100 new on fleabay I believe.

and yes, I plan on studying up and learning the unit and not just using it as an overglorified crossover. Thanks AH.

Thanks for the suggestions - good stuff, all. Keep the feeback (bad word!!) coming!

Stix

• Members

$250 shipped or bought locally? Decent price, hard to find for less. You can then sell off your 223 to recoup some of the DRPA cost. Yes, I think it's worth it to you.

Your current setup is a little confusing to me. I THINK you should have been using the 223 in stereo mode and just used one side for your apparently mono mains. Using the summed out for the subs means you are summing one sides signal with NOTHING from the other side.

Having the DRPA for mains (it has LINKED EQs so you cannot use it for a main and monitor split) will free up your stereo EQ for use for two seperate monitor mixes. Side note: while IMHO Behringer does make plenty of useable and usefull gear, their analog EQs are NOT one of them. Sell it off and pick up a used dbx231 for about $100-125.

I used my DRPA as the only FOH EQ for a couple years. I ended up putting the DRPA in the on stage amp rack and giving the soundguy (while I drum) a dbx231 in the FOH rack for feedback fighting. We don't use that feature of the drpa, not enough trust.

You can often find the Behringer ECM8000 omni directional condensor measurement mic for near $40. It's a decent substitute for the DBX $99 version for RTAing. IF & when you get the DRPA, go to the DBX website and read carefully how to use and interpret the RTA in the old archives' postings of the DriveRack User's Group (drug ;>0 Great for the mids bad for the high and low ends.

Boomerweps

• Members

@ Dennis: yes, you are correct. The unit I am thinking about purchasing does not have the necessary mic as part of the $250. price. I understand that the DRPA has built-in RTA capabilities.

@ Boomer: $250. locally. (he actually has two at that price!). Re. my setup... Currently the 223 is set at stereo (mains) with the subs mono-summed out. I use a Y splitter off the one side of the EQ to achieve dual input for the crossover. Thanks for the heads-up re: the Behringer mic. It's always nice to save a few $$! I see where you still use a twin 31 for FOH & I assume mons for the feedback fight. Although I am considering dropping the dual 31 for a single 31 for the monitors (we only use two monitor mixes - one for my IEM's and the other for the front of stage with the 2 wedges). In the short-term, I'm thinking we'll probably continue to go with the FOH & mons each through a dedicated EQ channel. To date, I haven't been disappointed with the Behringer although I haven't had anything to compare it too, either. Thanks for the replies!

Stix

• Members

Sounds like a good price to me. I just picked one of Craigslist for $100 and immediately turned it around for $200.

Without the RTA mic it still replaces your crossover and adds limiting and EQ if needed. However you need the mic to Auto-EQ or use the feedback eliminator which are two of the biggest features. They are the features that make the decision between the driverack and a simple crossover.

The DBX RTA mic is $99 new, Nady and I believe Behringer both have a $50 offering. I owned the Nady at one point and it works but between it and the DBx just go ahead and get the DBX. It is smaller, feels much more rugged, has a better reputation and will hold it's value better and get you more if you need to sell it later

• Members

AH:

Thank you for the offer and yes, I am interested in one of the mics. However, as we've just gotten past the holidays (3 teenage boys... and a wife - don't know which is worse, the three boys combined or the wife when it comes to gift expenses); I've just acquired this DRPA; recently acquired the GX5; am looking at a Sennheiser 300IEM G1 system for a couple of hundred; I've got to tell you, my GAS is starting to hurt!! :p I realize it's only $50. and that is an awesome price, I'm just feeling the pressure right now... today. Next week (after I see this month's commission check), I'll probably/hopefully feel differently! Would you mind hanging onto one for a few days?

Stix

Archived