Wharfedale subs get hot.

• Members

I have a pair of Wharfedale EVP 15P active subs that i use with my "small rig" for ease of portability and load in and out.

They are... usable i guess. Worth having but definitely at the bottom of the spectrum.

However i have an issue. They have an external heat sink, which i find getting really hot. I mean, by the end of a band set (approx 45 mins), not quite enough to burn you but not far off it.

Is this a problem? Am i risking failure (presumably of the amps etc) by continuing? Or is it normal.

I am going to email wharfedale and check their opinion also. I don't believe it is a "fault" though because both subs do it.

• Members

Not against a wall. They are used in a variety of spaces but the best test i have given them, the most recent gig i did, was on a open stage.

Not getting the clip lights on. At the last gig i did, i pushed them to see how far they would go before hitting the clip, and i did, but that was a one off. I would normally avoid clipping them to avoid damage.

• Members

Are the clip lights coming on? If not, you should be ok I would think.

Although it may seem counter-intuitive ... if you clip lights were on all the time continuously there would be less heat. The least heat is produced when an amp is full on or full off.

• Members

Yes because it is sending all the power out so there is little left internally to be dissipated. When the amp delivers 1/3rd of the power out the remaining 2/3rds are left inside. Crazy world, huh?

This is only true of linear amplifiers. Amps with Class-D output stages operate at roughtly the same efficiency throughtout their output range.

• Members

Yes ... you basically spread the same kind of thing across the tiers. I just though I'd point it out because it would seem that max power would produce max heating but it doesn't in conventional amps.

OTOH ... power off still produces no heat in any class;)

• Members

I have four wharfdale evp15 powered subs, the heatsink do get very hot and it concerns me too, after a short time the heatsinks get to hot to touch.

They're ok for live band stuff and pop DJ's in small rooms, Unfortunatly even with 4 used together they're not very loud for hard DJ styles,

but they are a comparatively cheap powered speaker so that make sense.

Archived