Opinions please

• Members

Stopped in one of the local pawn shops the other day,and checked out a stereo compressor/limiter.It was a Samson S.com.I can get it for $50.00 which is an excellent price,but I have never owned any Samson gear.Anyone know anythng about these units or this company?Are they the original Behringer?

• Members

Are any of your sound buddies missing any gear? Most pawnshops in my area carry a fair bit of stolen goods - despite their claims to the contrary.

Even though it's Behr, $80 bucks with a warranty sounds better than $50 for a piece of gear that might break down in a day or two.

Personally, I've never really liked Samson stuff, it always sounded funny to my ears. Never heard the particular piece your talking about though, so who knows.

• Members

I've owned the 4 channel version of that for nearly 8 years. It's not as good as a DBX 266XL, but not bad either. For $50, although I'd not use it for critical applications in a studio, it would make a usable compressor for live work.

If it looks like it's in good shape I'd not hesitate to get it. If it looks worn, I'd pass. It could be nearly a decade old as they've been around since at least 2002.

• Members

I agree. Samson is the lowest "bargain brand" I'd consider. I use a Samson crossover in my rig and have no complaints. Before moving to Line 6 wireless units, guitarists and bass had Samson ones and they were flawless for at least 5 yrs.

• Members

There is a audio store not far from my home called Starsound Audio. These guys do sound on a very large level. I was in there not too long ago and saw a 16 space rack loaded with all Behringer stuff. I asked the guy working the counter about it and he told me the owner frequently uses their products.

Now he also uses Drawmer,BSS,DBX, etc... but for some applications Behringer suits him just fine. This really caught my attention because their warehouse is filled with probably well over 1 million in equipment used for shows. The stuff can't be that bad. I use a pair of the 4600's----work just fine.

• Members

There is a audio store not far from my home called Starsound Audio. These guys do sound on a very large level. I was in there not too long ago and saw a 16 space rack loaded with all Behringer stuff. I asked the guy working the counter about it and he told me the owner frequently uses their products.

Now he also uses Drawmer,BSS,DBX, etc... but for some applications Behringer suits him just fine. This really caught my attention because their warehouse is filled with probably well over 1 million in equipment used for shows. The stuff can't be that bad. I use a pair of the 4600's----work just fine.

You are getting your leg pulled really good here. I know the guys and they don't use racks of that stuff on any of their real shows. Maybe for beater OTC rentals, or an occassional piece, and for resale to bottom feeders, but I have not seen it on any real gigs. I'm sure JR can confirm this.

• Members

Terry was the one who told me that they use Behringer for some applications. He did not specify what those applications were. My point was that with their budget allowing anything they want, I found their even sparse use of a lower line like Behringer to be a good sign for someone like myself who cannot afford the really good stuff YET ;)

Iv'e seen some of their shows: Hot August Nights, Blues and Brews, Rib Cook-off. and yes you are correct, I didn't see Behringer stuff there. so whatever use they have for it is indeed on a lower level.

• Members

The original 90's german made behringer stuff was pretty good though all of it was ripped off from what I remember. I got my hands on thier 160 knockoff but it was so noisy I immediately resold it. There was a time where behringer comps would make their way into C and D rigs of the larger sound companies, no EQ's or anything else, just comps/gates. That day is going away though, with the rise of digital boards companies are dumping off rack gear and if your in the analog world it can be a good time to buy used.

• Members

You are getting your leg pulled really good here. I know the guys and they don't use racks of that stuff on any of their real shows. Maybe for beater OTC rentals, or an occassional piece, and for resale to bottom feeders, but I have not seen it on any real gigs. I'm sure JR can confirm this.

Absolutly. I work with those guys at least monthly (often weekly). I even used to work FOR them in the early 80s. They have some Behringer gear in their "C" riggs that they rent out but none in their better P.A.s. There is an exception which is the ultra drive (which seem to be fairly reliable) which they use in their monitor racks. FOH is always DBX, Omni Drive, or internal amp DSP depending on what they are doing.

Keep in mind though that they are a behringer dealer so......... The owners name is Scott and I constantly razz him about "B" garbage and it's high failure rate :>).

Is this thread headed for the Behringer Mega Thread?

Archived