Where will you guys be moving to when the forum changes over?

• Members

If you haven't seen the new layout, as of right now, it's what I'd consider unusable -- only a third of the screen being used for actual forum, things are squished so small you can't even read thread titles, etc. And they have no intent on making it mobile-friendly for another month after the switch, according to moderator posts on the Beta forum, and most of my browsing is on my Pre.

There's a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge, and I've always learned a lot even while lurking. Where else should I be looking after the transfer, if things go as bad as I expect?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why is everyone dogging the new format based on a screen shot?

How about we give it a try and see how it works for real before we make up our minds?

Would we do that with gear? We'd all be hauling around Altec Voice of the Theatre systems every weekend.

sure, Wynn would be happy....:deadhorse:

• Members

I was going to say the same thing, BUT a picture is worth 1000 words and I just checked out the screen shots. All I can say is :facepalm: I took some screen shots from the beta site. I made them smaller so they'd fit, but that's what the screen looks like otherwise. What a waste of space, uneccesary scrolling side to side in posts and subject lines so small you can't tell what the subject actually is. What on earth are they thinking? Notice to the right of the second picture there is a section labeled "More Like This". I find it ironic that you can read an entire subject in that section, yet can sometimes only see one word of a subject in the actual raw forum list (last subject in the first picture that simply says "matching".

ls%201.jpg

ls%202.jpg

• Members

The big issue is that they're saying they're going to roll out the site and then make the changes within about a month that will make it usable. As it is right now, you have things like this:

16h9t8l.jpg

(Each reply scoots over to the right a hair, so lots of replies and you get... that)

• Members

What happens sometimes is that the old software isn't really supported anymore, and after a major incident (yup, we just had one recently) they decide to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Sometimes that goes OK - the previous big changeover here wasn't a big deal. I got an invite to check out the new stuff but haven't bothered to look at it yet.

• Members

IMO every time they redesign the site, it's slower and harder to load than before. The New York Daily News site is constantly being redesigned and has reached the point where it is almost unusable on any computer. I guess it keeps the people who do that kind of work busy. Think of a church or club that has a fine sounding PA system and some company comes along and convinces them that they need an upgrade and when they're done it sounds like crap.

• Members

When the transition happens I suppose I will find another home. For the last ten years I have been a regular at PSW and here. Guess it will soon be just there since this board will be unusable with the changes they are making. I won't go anywhere I have to keep scrolling to do anything. I am on a laptop with a 1024 x 768 screen and scrolling is painful.

• Members

It is hard to believe that someone in power here believes this is a good move. Obviously they do not actually use these boards. It will be sad but after playing with the beta, I doubt if I will spend nearly as much time here. Are they trying to justify closing HC down?

• Members

Gawd, I was asked to try out the beta of the new site yesterday. I was excited to be a part of the new look of HC, so I immediately went to the site to find what looked like chaos.

Drilling down on the left 1/3 was a pain to get to the place where I am now; the forums. And what do I see as the first post? Something I thought I would never see again. A post I made 11 months ago. That post was locked. And I wished that I never started it. Why is something at the top that is not new?

I tried to log in using lost password, to no avail. I don't like the interface they want to use. As everyone else said, it's cramped and not user friendly.

• Members

Holy crap. I can't believe that someone, or the people, in charge of this place think 2.0 looks better. It's complete crap. Chances are that if that design is put into effect I'll end up on PSW only, and that kinda sux because it's too uptight over thare a lot of the time.

• Members

If you haven't seen the new layout, as of right now, it's what I'd consider unusable -- only a third of the screen being used for actual forum, things are squished so small you can't even read thread titles, etc. And they have no intent on making it mobile-friendly for another month after the switch, according to moderator posts on the Beta forum, and most of my browsing is on my Pre.

There's a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge, and I've always learned a lot even while lurking. Where else should I be looking after the transfer, if things go as bad as I expect?

In response to the op, i just wanted to post this link:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2517210

It seems like admin is finally starting to listen to our feedback. I still think they should postpone the changeover until the flaws are fixed.

• Members

Not me, hee hee.

I personally don't like hiding behind a moniker.

I do not wish any of my personal information, and in particular my real name posted on a public forum.

I have have encountered three or four Psychopaths over the last several years, and even had a death threat publicly posted. :eek:

They banned the idiot but am I ever glad that I am untraceable.

PSW cannot tell if your name is John Smith, John Doe, or John {censored}.:p

If your hotmail account or whatever is Wolfman@hotmail.com, your real name cannot be verified.

BTW: Am I the only one here who believes that the revised search function sucks, since there does not seem to be a way to filter all replies other than "Live Sound and Production"?

If I search QSC PLX-3602 for instance by tiitle , what do I care if there was one for sale in the archive or whether someone on uses one as a bass amp along with a preamp in asks in the title on an amp forum or whatever?

Let's face anything that is not user friendly is a PITA.:facepalm:

• Members

Gawd, I was asked to try out the beta of the new site yesterday. I was excited to be a part of the new look of HC, so I immediately went to the site to find what looked like chaos.

Drilling down on the left 1/3 was a pain to get to the place where I am now; the forums. And what do I see as the first post? Something I thought I would never see again. A post I made 11 months ago. That post was locked. And I wished that I never started it. Why is something at the top that is not new?

I tried to log in using lost password, to no avail. I don't like the interface they want to use. As everyone else said, it's cramped and not user friendly.

I hate to say it, but I had the same experience.:confused:

Archived