DBX 1231 or 2231?

• Members

As I have posted before, I am putting together a small PA for our acoustic group. One of the suggestions was to add an EQ. I am looking at either the DBX 1231 or 2231. What would be the advantage/dissadvantage over either one?

My components so far are an Allen Heath Mixwiz 16:2 and two JBL EON 510's.

Also, I am accepting other EQ recommendations as well. :)

Thanks

• Members

The DBX 231 is a decent EQ as well esp if your on a budget.

The price tag doesn't bother me (too much) for either of these units. I just want to know which one would be better suited to my needs.

BTW, I'll check the 231 out.

Ooooh! Just saw the DBX iEQ 31. Interesting........

• Members

I've owned the 231 & still have 2ea. 1231's, 1ea 2231, and 1 ea. 2031. I've also owned the GQX3102 & KT DN360.

For my money.... the 1231 is the way to go IMO. The 2231 & 2031 are nice units, but you pay for some features that may or may not be necessary for your application ( limiter, noise reduction, etc.). You'll have to decide there, but personally I can't tell any worthwhile differance in sound quality between the units.

In fact.....the 231 is a perfectly fine unit, especially if money and rack space are a consideration. Having said that, I prefer the 1231 in most scenarios......especially the ones that are at my expense :lol:.

• Members

I have (2) 1231 & (1) 2031 DBX EQ's and they both are nice units.

The sliders on the 2031 are much smoother, more of a *pro* feel to them but both units function about the same.

As mentioned the 2031/2231 series EQ has noise reduction and limiter features which are nice features to have but really not a big deal if you decide not to have them.

• Members

Bang for buck is the 1231. The 2231 does feel better in operation, but I cannot hear any difference between them with the level of system I usually use them on. If money is not an issue, get the 2231 since it does feel good and has extras. If money is tight and it just has to sound good, buy the 1231 and be done. The 231 works and sounds fine, but the limited throw bothers me in use.

• Members

The price tag doesn't bother me (too much) for either of these units.

If the price is no object to you, I'd go with the dbx2231. I own/use three of these units. Most of the time I use two 2231's (one channel for foh and the other three for 3 monitor mixes).

On one of my rigs, I do use the limitting feature on my foh (Yorkville E152) mid/high cabs.

My rationale is simple: you may not need the added features now, but they may (will) come in handy in the future....similar to purchasing a mixer with a couple extra channels that you don't need now - You will need them later.

Best, Mike M

• Members

If the price is no object to you, I'd go with the dbx2231. I own/use three of these units. Most of the time I use two 2231's (one channel for foh and the other three for 3 monitor mixes).

On one of my rigs, I do use the limitting feature on my foh (Yorkville E152) mid/high cabs.

My rationale is simple: you may not need the added features now, but they may (will) come in handy in the future....similar to purchasing a mixer with a couple extra channels that you don't need now - You
will
need them later.

Best, Mike M

Useless features IMO.

Most power amps have real limiting built in, and if you size your power amps reasonably, it's better limiting than what's in the eq. The noise reduction is also unnecessary... if you have noise problems, you have other problems as well.

• Members

No one should be without an FOH 31-band EQ in my opinion. You never know what each room is going to throw at you that you need to adjust quickly and easily.

I have a few of the 1231 units and I love them. And I agree, I think the other features on the 2231 are not needed since you should be limiting elsewhere.

• Members

Believe me, I understand the difference !!

Just wondering if he really needs it ??

You should have a channel of 31-band EQ on every output, for feedback control and to get rid of annoying resonances and things like that.

I use the 1231's, love them. 2231's feel a little better but are functionally the same, the NR and limiter functions are useless.

231's work fine but I can't deal with short throw faders.

• Members

Also might consider Rane my ex retired drummer picked one up at pawn shop at a good price and sold it to me for the the same price he paid and probably one of the cleanest EQ's I ever heard considering a lot of EQ's out there do add more floor noise. The Rane is almost dead quite considering it replaced my old 70's model MXR EQ which was pretty freaking noisy.

• Members

No one should be without an FOH 31-band EQ in my opinion. You never know what each room is going to throw at you that you need to adjust quickly and easily.

Frankly, I would suggest that it's even more important on monitors. If the singers can't hear themselves properly (i.e. a poor monitor response) or if there's feedback, no amount of EQ on the FOH is going to make it sound good....

Bottom line: A good 31-band EQ is a must on every send from the board.

Also, if you aren't accustomed to EQ'ing a system, a shareware RTA program (like TrueRTA) on a laptop with a calibrated mic and pink noise source can go a long way towards getting your system sounding right and helping train your ear. It won't cost too much to put together, and it can make a world of difference - particularly if you don't have tons of experience setting up a system.

Archived