Plugging dynamic mics into 48v phantom power.

• Members

One potential problem is if you've modded your microphone and removed the output transformer (as is sometimes done w/ 57's). The transformer blocks the DC voltage from getting to the rest of the microphone, but without it, it could get passed along to electronics that don't like it.

-Dan.

• Members

One potential problem is if you've modded your microphone and removed the output transformer (as is sometimes done w/ 57's). The transformer blocks the DC voltage from getting to the rest of the microphone, but without it, it could get passed along to electronics that don't like it.

De-transformer'd 57s have no problem with phantom. Any dynamic mic that does have a problem with phantom:

#1 won't actually be damaged by it.

#2 is miswired or not of balanced construction and shouldn't be used anyways.

• Members

There is a potential problem with some ribbon mics, this is perhaps what Don's thinking, where the output transformer is center tapped and the center-tap may be grounded or coupled to the secondary in a way that causes polarization of the ribbon and it's toast.

• Members

There is a potential problem with some ribbon mics, this is perhaps what Don't thinking, where the output transformer is center tapped and the center-tap may be grounded or coupled to the secondary in a way that causes polarization of the ribbon and it's toast.

Any ideas which models?

-Dan.

• Members

There is a potential problem with some ribbon mics, this is perhaps what
Don't thinking
, where the output transformer is center tapped and the center-tap may be grounded or coupled to the secondary in a way that causes polarization of the ribbon and it's toast.

best AH typo ever, and you got some goodun's. since the S isnt anywhere near the T (on my keyboard anyway), is this perhaps a Freudian slam on don? :D

• Members

I think a lot of ribbon mis are wired that way (I don't know that for sure just a belief of mine). With ribbon mics I not only shut off the phantom but either leave a condenser plugged into the channel until it completely looses signal or short one of the signal pins to shield (pin 1) with something metal to be sure any residual charge in any capacitor is compleatly bled off (I've killed ribbons that way can you tell - the ribbon pops like a fuse). I'm extra careful!

With regular dynamics, phantom is no problem at all. It does however expose any bad connections you may have in your mic cabling/snake system (pop! pop! pop!).

Archived