Gain setting too high on mixer ??

• Members

I just recieved a new peavey XR8600 and a pair of SP2's for Christmas. It sounds really good. Here is the question I have. My overall gain level is set on about 4 right now ( small room ). The channel that has the vocals is set about 4 1/2 but the channel that has the acoustic guitar has to be turned up to about 8 in order be at the right mix level with the vocals. I have a couple of different acoustics and they are both the same so I don't think it is the guitar. It sounds really good but I just wonder why I have to have the guitar gain turned up so high ( almost to the max ) ? The mic is an XLR cable while the guitar is a regular 1/4 jack cable, so I'm not sure if that is making a difference or not. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on why I have to turn the guitar up so high to get a decent level ? Thanks

• Members

I didn't think I needed a DI box if I had a preamp in my guitar that ran off of a 9v battery ? I also run my guitar through a harmony G and then into the mixer but I bypassed the harmony G but it didn't make a difference. Any more ideas ?

• Members

I didn't think I needed a DI box if I had a preamp in my guitar that ran off of a 9v battery ?

it's an unbalanced hi-z signal. you need a DI box.

Don't worry about it, the output of the guitar's preamp is inherently low. You can either deal with it as it will cause no problems, or buy an external preamp.

• Members

I didn't think I needed a DI box if I had a preamp in my guitar that ran off of a 9v battery ? I also run my guitar through a harmony G and then into the mixer but I bypassed the harmony G but it didn't make a difference. Any more ideas ?

Do you mean you have active pickups in the guitar?

Just because there is a 1/4 plug and a 1/4 jack doesn't mean they are all the same.

The output of the guitar with active pickups is still not enough to fully drive a line level input. I am assuming the 'Harmony G' is some sort of guitar processor? That also will not have enough output to drive a line level input. The 'Harmony G' output is meant for the input to a guitar amp. The input for a guitar amp and the line input on the channel of you mixer are not the same thing. That doesn't mean you can't use the 'Harmony G' with your new mixer. I would just get a DI box for best results.

• Members

The pad button is not pushed. I guess my next step is to go buy a inexpensive DI box. This just doesn't make any sense to me since I have never needed one in the past, but it does appear to me that the guitar signal is not as hot as the mic signal.

• Members

but it does appear to me that the guitar signal is not as hot as the mic signal.

Not really.

The 1/4 input on the mixer is for LINE LEVEL inputs. The guitar is not a line level input. Just because the guitar has a 1/4 plug and the mixer has a 1/4 input doesn't mean they are the same thing. If you plugged the guitar into the mic input you would get the expected results.

• Members

The 1/4" input sensitivity will accept less than full line level on the channels. I think it's around -20dBu. That's no problem for your acoustic rig, be sure you have your volume up on your acoustic as well as in your processor. You will also nrrd your input gain/trim control up a little more on your mixer channel IIRC, Jim would know more details.

• Members

Well, that is exactly what I did. It is a 1/4 jack on one end and a XLR on the other. The 1/4 is coming out of the harmony G and the XLR goes in the mixer. Without the "pad" button engaged it is a very loud signal at a very low gain setting and if I engage the pad button on the mixer then I have to turn the gain up higher to get it as loud. So, why would this cable not be the way to go ? I can go buy a DI box if that is the correct way to go, but I am only about 15 feet of cable away from the mixer. Like I said, I have never had to use a DI box before but if you all think this is the better way to go, then I will get one.

Archived