Noise Floor Control

• Members

Would like to know what others typically do to either adjust to or measure their venue noise floor?

I have an acoustic guitar player, four stage wedge monitors, lead electric, rhythm electric, and bass guitar amplifiers on my stage. My nemesis is my drummer.

My main venue is 90ft x 45ft (4050 square feet) in the listening area and I am able to use a plexi-glass noise shield around the drums. The smaller venues we play, I do not wish to carry the shield for it is easy to scratch and difficult for me to store between gigs.

Any suggestions on what one can do in a small venue in which the audience listening area is around 2000 square feet (45ft x 45ft) and you have an out of control drummer?

Thanks

• Members

Life's too short to play with crappy drummers
:mad:
. Are you the BE or onstage?

I am the roadie, sound guy, and the filament fairy all wrapped up in one! :)

The lead singer of this band is a very good friend of mine and I have really enjoyed being able to go out and help the band grow either in practice or with gigs.

It has given me many more hours of experience at FOH and ALL the other things that must get done when one supports a band.

• Members

How many mics do you have on the drumkit? In a small room you often will just have the kick up with the rest off - are the drums too loud even with all the drum mics off?

I have a full kit. (Two overheads, clip-on tom mics, snare, and kick). In the large venue, I can run the overall volume measured at FOH to around 92-95dB and with the plexi in place the mix is balanced.

The smaller venues we have played, I have ended up having the entire drum kit at times muted on the board. My only other option is to raise the overall performance volume in the small room to that of drums. I have measured with my meter 115dB cymbal and 110 dB snare hits from 10 feet. Due to space constraints, the drummer is usually only 15-20 feet behind the mains.

I want my audience to enjoy the band, not LEAVE!

• Members

The biggest pain in the butt with a drum kit is bleed into the vocal mic's....it's something you have only limited control over. You can try muting them when they are not in use but you have to stay awake.

Dennis

I understand that comment completely!!!.. Put a noise gate and compressor on each of the vocal MICs and watch your entire mix disappear as that extra noise bleeds into them!

I am not the band's leader so making suggestions to the leader on how one of the artists should perform is not really my place, but my input is very much in the best interest of the band.

I have been working under the auspice that if my input is required, they will ask.

• Members

Yeah, gates on vocals don't work out well at all...can be a bit choppy.

I don't know if they still use them, but a few years ago, the Eddy Money band had these little rigs that the vocal mics plugged into and they had a proximity switch that opened up when the singers got within 6" to 12" from the mic, depending on how the unit was set. No choppiness. I don't know if anyone is still making them.

Dennis

Archived