Mixer woes! Can you help me get this fixed?

• Members

We've got some intermittant faults on the mixer, a Peavey RQ2310, in our church. I'll be taking it to a local repair shop, hopefully sooner than later (politics), but there aren't that many workshops around here.

I know a few electronics guys and places I could take it but its doubtful as to whether they've looked a piece of gear like this before.

I was hoping that maybe someone here might have an idea on what might be wrong, if there are any known issues, or where to start looking to faultfind this board?

The three faults are:

Two of the gain pots (channels 3 and 4) give limited gain until rotated almost all the way toward the right, then loud feedback and much noise ensue. Tried exercising the pots, no luck.

Pfl lights come on randomly. This is very intermittant, usually when the board is just turned on, and nothing more than a slight annoyance really. Activating then deactivating the PFL switch clears it and normal operation is restored. Nothing is affected except the pfl light.

Intermittant fault on channel 1, probably the most used channel. A noise slowly builds up from silence, it sounds like pink noise but more scratchy, happens maybe once a week. In about 10 seconds it builds up to a volume which disturbs the service and sometimes goes away again on its own accord. Unplugging the XLR plug connected to the input on the channel clears the fault and restores normal operation.

Any information I could pass on to whoever gets to try and fix this thing would be most appreciated!

Greatful as always,

Steve.

• Members

Hi Steve, just a hunch, the gain problem could be intermittent send and return jacks or insert jacks, depending on which your mixer has on the channels. I have seen this on Peavey mixers before. Some of the Peavey mixers have jacks with silver plated contacts in them, and these sometimes get dirty if they don't get used, which can make them intermittent on occasion. Sometimes you can clean the jacks' contacts and they will work right again, but sometimes it's easier to just change out the jacks. If that's the case, at least it's a simple fix.

I'm not sure on the PFL thing, I have never seen that occur, wierd.

The Channel 1 issue could be something with that channel, but it might be something plugged into that channel as well. Our church has an overhead condenser mic that runs on a AA battery, when the battery gets low it will make a noise similar to what you describe, you might want to check whatever it is that's plugged into channel 1, if for no other reason than the process of eliminating potential causes. Have you tried plugging something different into channel 1 to see if it goes away, or plugged whatever is in channel 1 into an adjacent channel to see if the noise moves to the new channel?

• Members

And ...

Your BEST online resources for all things Peavey is www.peavey.com, forums, live sound. Peavey actually has techs assigned to the forums and they can be very helpfull, along with well meaning users of the gear.

My small gig mixer is an RQ2314 and they are great little mixers. Too bad church politics are involved, otherwise you could likely find a used replacement in pristine working order for close to repair shop prices ;>( They know nothing but USED scares the hell out of them.

Boomerweps

• Members

I see more issues with boards living in churches than anywhere else. It's being left out uncovered for very long periods of time, knobs never being turned etc. If anyone on this board decides to buy one, don't. The last 2 I bought both came from churches and about 50% of the pots and faders crackled right out. niether 100% work

• Members

Of course, I should have isolated the problem to the channel or whats feeding it before now (its a sennheiser ew100 wireless system). I'm rather tentative about that though, it might take a week or so before the problem rears its head again and in my church, changing the mic to a different channel, woooooah, thats too confusing!!!!! :(

I'll do it a week I'm on the rota and hope that it happens then, if not I'll need to write a big sign (sigh).

I'm familiar with the Peavey forums, desolate and strangely laid out board that they are. That will be my next port of call :)

Thanks for the replies so far! I'll try cycling the jacks too see if that clears channels 3&4 next time I'm in.

• Members

There are several things that come to mind, though Jim's by far the best resource on this product IIRC.

The gain control problem could be a cracked resistive element, commonly caused by taking a nasty bump by some clueless operator. Has it done this only recently or since new? I have seen defective pots installed, where a couple units in a batch of say 5000 pots have the wrong wafer or taper installed.

The PFL could be anything, could be leaky transistors on the PFL tally LED switching circuit (if it uses that method).

The noise, if it's not from the source, could be the input diff transistor pair failing. It could also be due th phantom power present on a source that's not protected from phantom power, and the blocking caps (not phantom protection caps) are failing from being reverse biased.

It need to go to a proper service shop.

• Members

Have the gain pots always been that way? We had a defective batch of pots somewhere along the way, that did exactly what you are describing. But, they would have been that way from day 1, not something that would have changed over time. CraigV (Our Mod) had this problem years ago.

No idea on the channel 1 noise, that's pretty strange.

No idea on the PFL either.

I designed this series of mixers at Peavey. I'm on vacation now, so I might be slow to answer, sorry.

Archived