ATA Rack Cases ?? E-bay

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with ATA rack cases that are being sold on E-bay ? Are they heavy duty enough to hold a poweramp ? I am looking for a 8 unit case to put a power amp and a couple of effects in and these seem to be the least expensive that I have found. Any thoughts ? Thanks

• Members

I have one of their (thecasestore) 4sp racks for my guitar rig. We also have an 8sp rack for our sound processors (EQs, comps, etc). The 8sp rack has handles on the side.

Although I wouldn't throw these on a plane or use them for daily touring, they are pretty good for the price and are well-made. Both covers line up, perfectly.

However, we don't have all the extra weight that an amp would have. Also, without rear rails, there is nothing in the back to help support the extra weight.

mike

• Members

Absolutely unsuitable for amplifier use and most other use as well. It's 1/4" material, nowhere near strong enough to handle the rigors of the road, even a smooth road. It's a bugdet, low cost rack that is fine for lightweight, shallow processing gear that isn't moved much.

ATA is a transportation guideline that is so often mis-represented that it really has no practical value anymore.

If you are looking for real racks, look for something with minimum 3/8" plywood-laminate construction. It will need to be deeper than 12" for most amp products too.

• Members

I have a bunch of EWI and roadready cases. Both are very similar in construction and do very well for your app. The case store, harbor cases and a few others are basically the same import company out of NY. They are absolute crap, very thin "wood" and the latches and handles won't last 6 months. Shipping is still crappy for them too so you nay as well get an EWI.

• Members

I have about 4 cases from "the case store" and have had no problem. However, I am extremely careful when moving them. all of them are loaded with 2 amps each and a furman,therfore they're all a bit heavy. If I were a big time operator doing several load-outs a month, they probably would not hold up. At my current level, they work just fine.

• Members

However, I am extremely careful when moving them.

If you have to baby a case, then you made the wrong purchase.

You'll figure that out on that night when you're too exhausted to remember to baby them, or when the roadies from a competing act play samsonite with your cases.

The road is no place for weak cases.

• Members

If you have to baby a case, then you made the wrong purchase.

You'll figure that out on that night when you're too exhausted to remember to baby them, or when the roadies from a competing act play samsonite with your cases.

The road is no place for weak cases.

I didn't make the wrong purchase for where I am, at this point, in this endevour.

My post does state that if I did a lot of load-outs, they wouldn't hold up. So far, that is not my good fortune. As with all of us, I am constently upgrading everything. These cases however will serve just fine for a bit longer, and then will still function for lighter items like EQ,etc...

• Members

I'm talking about ripping the handles off just picking up an amp rack made of 1/4" luan. Normal use.
:facepalm:

And then there's the uses you never planned on.

A few years ago I was contracted to do a national level show in a ballroom... a ballroom up on the 3rd. floor of an old building (14ft., maybe 16ft. between floors). No elevator in the building. The only two means to get to the 3rd. floor ballroom was literally 500ft.+ through the building and up endless low rise to run stairs (all carpeted hallways and stairs) or up the narrow, steep outside fire escape. And, I had a 20 Ryder truck full of gear to get up there... so: I rigged up a Loadstar chainhoist on a swinging boom arm to hoist all the gear from the parking lot up to the landing at the top of the fire escape. Good thing the Loadstar had 50ft. of chain, cause we used most of it to reach the ground. This set-up worked extremely well... almost too well. We hoisted all the lights & towers, monitor rig, boards, distro, FX racks and backline amps up first. We left the FOH racks & stacks till last. By the time the crew and I were down to the FOH racks & stacks, the bands and promoter had arrived, and I had some management duties to attend to with the promoter and bands, so I delegated authority to the crew and left the hoisting scene for about 10 minutes, directing the crew to finish hoisting up the racks & stacks (what was left was the easy stuff compared to the B-3 we'd hoisted up earlier). Up till that point everything was quadruple strapped 6-ways to Sunday. Well... I came back from the meeting with the bands and promoter to discover one of my FOH racks (approx. 300 lbs. loaded with 2ea. Crown MA-5000's, 1ea. MA-3600, and 1ea. MA-2400) approx. 45ft. in the air hanging by one strap hooked to one flip-handle on the side of the rack case... and two guys at the top with a rope hooked to one of the casters, jerking on it hard, while the case held by the one flip handle was at the worst angle of the dangle... probably compounding the strain load on the flip handle by another 200+ lbs... trying to get it to swing, not noticing the power cord to the Loadstar was bound up on the hoist swing (cause they were attempting to swing it the wrong direction), keeping the hoist from swinging around over to the landing.

I immediately stopped the operation and lowered the amp rack back to the ground... and checked it over. Except for the handle portion of the flip handle having a noticable bow to it, all was fine.

Archived