Bridge/ Parallel Mono

• Members

Ok could someone explain to me what the differences are? I understand that Bridge Mono is Balanced and Parallel is not, but I have a Crown Power Tech 3 and in the manual it says that Bridge is rated for 8-16 ohm load and Parallel is rated for 2-4 ohm load.

I'm not saying I will be doing either I would just like to understand this.

• Members

Crown is the exception to the rule on what parallel mono MAY mean. There ae two possible meanings and Crown used them interchangably. Crown is/was the ONLY manufacturer that reconfigured the output stage for the different parallel mono mode. This is a CRITICAL detail.

You need to read the manual for your specific model to determine this.

• Members

No problem. Crown really confused everything with their dual use of an opertating mode depending on which product line you are talking about.

Does your amp use the input signal routing method or the output stage reconfiguration method? I don't recall.

• Members

so besides routing input 1 to both channel 1 and 2, what is the other possible parallel mono you speak of?

Reconfiguring the way the output stage operates, essentially paralleling the output stage to increase current capability and output stage dissipation capacity.

Here's the data from the Crown CT series:

CT-200 OUTPUT POWER

110W/Ch 8 Ohms

155W/Ch 4 Ohms

305W Bridged Mono 8 Ohms

225W Parallel Mono 4 Ohms

315W Parallel Mono 2 Ohms

Note that the amp is rated at 155 watts/chan in stereo mode at 4 ohms, no 2 ohm rating BUT in parallel mono, it delivers one channel of 315 watts into 2 ohms. That's the giveaway that something is different internally.

• Members

No problem. Crown really confused everything with their dual use of an opertating mode depending on which product line you are talking about.

Does your amp use the input signal routing method or the output stage reconfiguration method? I don't recall.

It is the output that it reconfigures. Simple and understandable after he told me, but man thats a bit of a pain when you can't find anything about it in any manuals or tech specs.

• Members

It is the output that it reconfigures. Simple and understandable after he told me, but man thats a bit of a pain when you can't find anything about it in any manuals or tech specs.

This is why I am very careful when I make my recommendations, suggestions and comments. There are a lot of details accumulated over 25+ years of doing this.

Archived