IEM's...who uses what and why

• Members

You want good earbuds. Especially us drummers. Preferably dual drivers and since your going all out I would get custom molds to get a better seal. I just use the cheap Shure PSM-200. I'm not sure if there is anything out there that transmits and receives. Seems to me like if there were it would be bulky and heavy.

• Members

We use the Shure PSM200 series, and they work fine our needs. Our drummer just bought the body pack and I hardwire him in, no need for wireless for him, and he saved money that way. I would recommend the better ear buds though, we are using the Shure scl-4's, :thu:

• Members

We use Sennheiser G2 series transmitters and body packs. We are using an Allen & Heath MixWiz 12M to mix with and have Ultimate Ears UE7 custom ear buds. We couldn't be happier. The sound is amazing and so consistant night after night. It will take some tweaking and some getting used to especially for the guitarists and drummers. Our dummer has also tried some Equation Audio RP-21 studio reference headphones and loved them. Whatever you do, don't skimp on equipment when it comes to IEM , you will regret it in the long run.

• Members

I occassionaly use Shure PSM200s. I also use a Crown CM311A headset mic. Previously no problems physically but last night every time I rigged out for the next set the Mic frame kept knocking the right earphone out. I finally stopped wearing the mic and gave up on my backing vocals. Wearing glasses doesn't help ;>)

Reason: PSM200s are the cheapest Shures and wasn't going with the even cheaper brands. They really don't block external sound too well. I use the mid size black rubber buds. Custom molds is the way to go if you can.

boomerweps

• Members

I bought 5 of the AT M3s. They sound good, are stereo, have lots of channels, setup is like my ATW-3000 mics, come from a reputable company, and I got them for not much more than PSM200s by shopping around. Paired with my Sennheiser transmitter combiner and a paddle, it is a reliable setup. The AT earbuds are OK, but I went ahead and bought Shure E4s when they went on sale (white only) for $79 each.

• Members

M-Audio IE-10 ear buds.

Only $99.

Sound very good.

Come with 4 sizes of silicone 'squishies' (I use the smallest) plus one foamy.

Replaceable cables.

For those who don't need wireless (anyone who is seated, or tethered by an instrument cable), most buds and phones can (via a custom cable) be driven directly by the aux out of the monitor console. However, there should be a protective limiter in the signal chain.

• Members

We use PSM200s. We love them. I do understand that there are better units out there but we are satisfied with what we use. The seal of the ear canal is imperative in order to have a good experience.

I use an E5 with custom molds but the other guys use stock E2s with stock foamies.

Not sure if there are combination units for in ears and a mic on the same belt pack.

Archived