X-Over frequency help ....

• Members

Hey guys ... had a question on x-over frequencies. Firstly let me tell you what i'm running ...

For my tops i have EV Tour X 1152's and for subs i have the Tour X 1181's.

http://www.electrovoice.com/productfamilies/98.html

Our crossover is a DBX 223XL.

http://www.dbxpro.com/223XL/223XL.php

Now my question is with respect to the crossover frequency. We run 3-way Mono by the way with two QSC amps.

What should the dials on the LOW/MID X-over freq. and the MID/HIGH X-over freq. be set too ?

As i look at the info sheet for the tour x speakers, the tops say the X-over frequency is 1650Hz ... so i assume under the MID/HIGH dial on the DBX i set it to 1650 ....

When i look at the info sheet for the 1181 subs ... it has no mention of crossover frequency ... so what should the LOW/MID dial on the DBX be set too ??

Appreciate all your help and expertice ... thanks again !!

• Members

100Hz between the subs and lows and 1.65kHz (1600Hz) between the lows and highs.

You will need to balance out the 3 bands levelwise, but to start, set the mids at "0dB" which may also be called "unity" and set the sub band to +3dB and the highs band to -6dB and that should be a good start.

Double-check everything and make sure the "x10" and "3 way mono mode" switches are in the right position BEFORE you turn everything on. Also, test everything at low volume first. Also really double-check your wiring, reversing lows and highs or switching the sub cable to the top box cable could cause you some real damage. Remember this if other people help you with your set-up.

What model amps are you using?

• Members

The TourX isn't a biampable cab IIRC. The crossover printed on the 1152 is the internal crossover and is there to let the user know what is going on. Really your system should be run in 2 way (stereo or mono) using a 100hz crossover point. You may find lowering the xover to about 90 and raising the low output by 3dB to help (and this effectively raises the x-over point by raising the low output.

• Members

Be very careful, that's at the very top of what I would even consider under the most ideal of circumstances. Be absolutely sure you have the high pass filter and clip limiters engaged and the HPD needs to be set per EV's recommendation for that sub. My guess is that it will be between 30 and 40Hz.

Also, if you have a high frequency accident, it will be "poof" in an instant. Limiting the HF section down to about 80 watts would be prudent... or get a little RMX-850 for highs. The 5050 for subs and lows w/ the 850 for highs would weigh less too. That leves an extra 5050 that's way to big for monitor duty, but you could run stereo with the 5050's on subs and lows and the 850 on highs. You would need another (or different) crossover.

• Members

Ok, i'm a little overwhelmed lol ... sorry, i'm really trying to learn as much as i can ...

So what would be the IDEAL way to run the TOUR X speakers in Mono Mode ?? and how many amplifiers and which ones do you recommend ??

I was assuming, and with previous speakers i've had .. i ran my tops (mid/highs) through one amp and i ran my lows (subs) through a second amp ... and than i had a third amp for my monitors. Thats what i've been using up to now, with a dbx 223XL crossover and a dbx 1231 EQ.

• Members

Thx agedhorse ... i'm still a bit confused on what to set the LOW/MID X-Over Frequency dial to on the dbx 223XL crossover ... lets just say i have the equipment you've discussed that would be best ... what do i turn the dial too for the LoW/MID x-over freq. and the MID/HIGH x-over freq. .... thanks again ...

• Members

Haha ... i don't actually have the 5050's as of yet .. it was just a consideration using the 'amplifier selection' tool on the qsc website. So i could always use your recommendation for the amps.

I completely disagree with that website selector tiool, it is ment to sell big amplifiers. QSC's own engineers don't even follow it when powering their own powered speaker lines.

Marketing folks...:facepalm:

Archived