Should I snag this soundcraft mixer?

• Members

I need a good mixer for live and studio application. Once I realized I needed more than 2 channels, I ditched the behringer 2channel mixer I had for $40, exactly what I paid for it. Now i'm looking for something beefier.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/1533969500.html

Came across that, is it a good deal? My gut tells me it's a steal and I should grab it asap, I emailed the guy. But is it?

What is a buss anyway? Dont care about losing one channel, but what's buses??

• Members

Thats a helluva deal,IF it still works.It's basically a 16/4 mixer.The busses are what I call subgroups.What that means is you can put all the vocals on sub 1,the drums on sub 2,and so on.Or you can also use them in other ways too.With 6 aux sends it looks like a killer deal to me,but wait for some of the real pros to chime in.They know things us wannabees don't!!! LOL

• Members

Ain't she purrrty?? This thing sounds GREAT! I layed down some guitar tracks (no interface yet) into the stereo line in on my computer. None/Minimal hiss, 200% more clarity, than when I had that Behringer 2 channel mixer. Sounds so much more articulate, and the sweepable mids on the EQ make this thing SO useful. I can finally accurately boost those low mids I can't seem to make come out of my amp.

I love this thing.

mix1.jpg

mix2d.jpg

• Members

Injected,

Sincere congratulations on a great score. You'll obviously be having fun this weekend.
:thu:

Bob

thank you, if I remember correctly you helped me in another thread about purchasing the old behringer mixer I had. Glad I got rid of that piece of junk. I sold it for as much as I bought it, so no loss there..:thu:

• Members

thank you, if I remember correctly you helped me in another thread about purchasing the old behringer mixer I had. Glad I got rid of that piece of junk. I sold it for as much as I bought it, so no loss there..
:thu:

That almost "reads" as if I steered you "toward" the Behringer :),,,,, I sure hope that "wasn't the case.:facepalm::)

What's that combo-amp you have off to the left of your pic?

Bob

• Members

The amp on the left is a Mesa DC-5 combo. I love it!

That's what I thought,,, kinda reminded me of my Mesa Mk. III combo. Great amps.

I'm still waiting for Soundcraft to start supplying dealers with their new NotePad series 124FX compact mixers. Spoke to my dealer just yesterday, and all he could say was, soon.

Have fun with those toys, Injected.

Bob

• Members

Oh yeah, I love it. They don't cost too much either but they sound amazing.

Personally I always buy used because I mostly have pretty small budgets. So the whole seeing a dealer to get the cutting edge stuff isn't really there for me:p

oh well though, one piece at a time. I will get the PA that I want:thu:

• Members

That's a smart philosophy with this stuff. (buying used), since todays' "hot item", is tomorrows' "old news". With "new", you either go all out and buy collector-level stuff, or you lose your shirt in depreciation. My Boogie is about 20 years old now, but it was one of the "Signature Series", of which only 100 were made. They're individual numbered 1 to 100, and have a plaque on the front, signed by Randall Smith, president of Mesa-Boogie. Nice hand-dovetailed birdseye maple cabinet. Beautiful piece, with a killer tone. "Lots" of killer tones actually. Clean, or dirty, this thing kicks ass. Simul-class also makes it pretty flexible too. Cost me a bundle when I bought it new, but I've been offered some big bucks for that lil' beauty. I just can't bring myself to part with it however, even though I'm mostly an acoustic player.

Any thoughts on which way you'll go for P/A speakers? I think it's a good idea to think "long term" there; in other words, looking at something you can build on. Mains that can also serve as monitors, just in case you outgrow them for FOH at some point. Also, speakers that array well together, in the event that you add more of the same speaker at a later date. That sort of thing.

Bob

• Members

Ah, nice! There are some things which do not depreciate in value much, and sometimes it's worth it to me to buy them new. Boogie's are a good example, they cost a lot back then, and to resell them today wouldn't put the buyer at a real major loss.

I haven't really decided what I'm gonna do for speakers. My main method of obtaining equipment is saving up a little wad of cash, and the moment I spot a deal on craigslist, I jump at it. That was the case with the board I just got.

As for the whole PA dealio...

Right now I have two 12' speaker cabs (Forgot the name!) but they're Mexican made and are a fairly popular brand in Mexico, apparently. There was an article I saw where an entire stage was decked out with the stuff. I have a QSC PL 1.4 powering them, and this board to mix with. They sound pretty clear and hold up well. The idea with those '12 speakers is that they work great for rehearsals and will serve as a monitor system in the long run. My only gripe is that they aren't angled, they have a weird shape. I'm gonna have to get some 2x4's to angle them correctly. The PL 1.4 outputs 300w/side, and the speakers are 250w. So I need to downsize the amp eventually and use it for mains. Right now, on craigslist, I see a Crest Audio FA901 for $200. It uses 225w/side at 8ohms, PERFECT for the speakers I have. I may get some money in a few days, offer the gentleman $160, and be on my way. I just hope it doesn't weigh a ton. That way, I have a PL 1.4 now that I can use to power mains. I don't know what speakers to get. Often, JBL PRX/MRX's pop up on craigslist, I might snag a pair of those, but I don't know the wattage ratings on them I'm guessing they'd be in the neighborhood of more than 250w/side. Any recommendations?

The next portion I'd buy is subs. Most likely will snag an RMX2450, they pop up often. A wide variety of subs pop up on my craigslist. Recently, I see Cerwin-Vega Earthquakes for $500 a pair, and B-52 18' subs for $600 a pair. Not sure on the quality of either.

That's pretty much my game plan. I want to ultimately have 2 '12 mains, 2 '18 subs, and 2 12's as monitors. Maybe later on I could double up on the mains, and subs? Or maybe not. It's expensive. Of course, in between all this buying the expensive stuff, I'd be grabbing more mics, more mic stands, more mic cables, etc. Necessities.:thu:

Any advice would be cool, I know you really know your stuff:)

• Members

I'm gonna need 2 amps though! I know the PL 1.4 is great, I got it for a great price too. However, its too much power for the monitors. I want to use it for the mains for mids and highs. I need a second amp for the monitor, less than 250w/side. The Crest Audio FA901 seems perfect, provided it doesnt break my back when i carry it. CA makes amazing stuff right? And for less than $200 i cant be wrong, right?

I will shell out cash for quality mains though, at least like PRX's or MRX's.

• Members

Itsa good amp, a lower end crest at the time but certainly a good amp. Eh, for 200, it's close to where the GX3 is at but you're fixated on the 225 thing. I wouldn't bother, if you need a second amp I'd chose something in the same amp family (PL1.8, 2.0hvx. Even PLX 1202/1602). You'll have similar input/output setups on the back, similar metering, similar input impeadance/sensitivity levels. PL1.4 would be a hard one to find a mate to. Besides, if you buy this amp and then buy MRX later, you could find yourself with dead weight. I'd have to guess you'd want to power MRX with something more powerful, but hey, it's your dime and no one can hear you scream on the internets

• Members

GX3's have reliability issues dont they??

I cant get another pl 1.4. i didnt go looking for it, it found me. i got it for like 200 bucks or something.

I dont know the wattage of MRX or PRX. What speakers are good that run at about 300 watts? Maybe I should just get 2 '12 speakers that run 300w/side with the PL 1.4

Then snag an RMX2450 to run with some '15 speakers.

Then run another rmx2450 to run two '18 subs.

Does this sound adequate?

^^^SCRATCH THAT!!

MRX's out of budget. Forget it. Point is, I will get a smaller amp for the monitors.

Now what to do with this PL 1.4 300 watts/side. Sell it to get a bigger amp?? Make it power smaller wattage speakers? But then I'll need ANOTHER amp and speakers to have enough power.

Any suggestions? MRX's are too much. Need something I can find for $600 a pair, used.

• Members
The PL 1.4 outputs 300w/side, and the speakers are 250w. So I need to downsize the amp eventually and use it for mains.

If that "250w" is continuous rms that amp is fine for them :). If that "250w" is "program power" not so much :(. I use a 300w/ch amp (RMX1450 clone) on my Peavey PR10's that are rated at 200w continuous rms and ain't worried about frying them. Oh, and make sure the clip limiter is on - I personally won't use an amp that doesn't have a clip limiter unless I'm using an external one "upstream" :). Great deal on that $200 PL 1.4 BTW :cool:. Oh, and a pair of two way 12's on that amp are plenty to keep up with a pair of 18's on an RMX2450 - I often run just that. Mixing two way 12's and two way 15's will most likely sound weird. Get those subs sooner than later before you are tempted to push too much lows into those 12's and damage them!

• Members

I have installed several dozen GX amps and no problems at all. I have not had any come in for service either, and internally they are built very well. Oh, and if you buy it new there's a warranty too!!!

The Crest FA series on the other hand had their share of problems and very hard to repair. When they worked, they were fine but frankly they are pretty disposable now.

Archived