• Members

I entertain in nursing homes. One man band kind of thing going on.

ok, i'll get more specific. what sources of sound do you plan on putting the microphones close to? what will they plug into (and if you say instruments and a mixer i will come over and slap you):thu:

• Members

ok, i'll get
more
specific. what sources of sound do you plan on putting the microphones close to? what will they plug into (and if you say instruments and a mixer i will come over and slap you)
:thu:

I'm not sure what you mean. I will be singing into the microphone through a pa system. Outside of that I don't know what answer you are looking for.

• Members

ok, vocal mic then. that is the first time you said what you will be using the mic for. there are many mics that work for many things but most only do a few things well. a kick drum mic wouldnt be a first choice for a bassoon.

vocal mics under $100? i'd have to say sennheiser E835 at $99. i have four of these and they are my current goto vocal mic for nearly everything except screamo stuff. overall a very good microphone and works on a few things besides vocals too.

what is your PA?

• Members

i'd have to say sennheiser E835 at $99. i have four of these and they are my current goto vocal mic for nearly everything except screamo stuff. overall a very good microphone and works on a few things besides vocals too.

what is your PA?

Agreed, The E835 is a good mic. Mic choice depends a lot on how the source sounds and reacts (like moving around etc...).

I'd say, if you can, ask your seller if you can "try out" a few vocal mics to see what suits your voice & style best (if you pay them something toward a purchase, they MIGHT allow you to take a couple out (1 at a time) for a spin - it depends on the seller)..

Do you play trax & hold the mic? (then handling noise is an issue if you leave it on a stand then that's less critical). Do you have a bright or dark tonality? "whisky voice", soft, loud, dynamic (how's your mic technique?). These are all things that come into play when choosing a vocal mic.

A few other suggestions would be: Shure SM58, Audix OM2, EV ND267, AKG D5, and although I've never heard one, I'd bet they sound great a B.L.U.E. Encore 100.

All good mics in the $100 price range.

I'm sure there's a couple I've forgotten.

• Members

ok,
vocal
mic then. that is the first time you said what you will be using the mic for. there are many mics that work for many things but most only do a few things well. a kick drum mic wouldnt be a first choice for a
bassoon.

vocal mics under $100? i'd have to say sennheiser E835 at $99. i have four of these and they are my current goto vocal mic for nearly everything except screamo stuff. overall a very good microphone and works on a few things besides vocals too.

what is your PA?

my pa is a phonic 620. Now I know this pa is bottom end but it's within my budget. I've heard all the options of renting, and buying used etc. I didn't want to waste money renting and I could not find anything I could afford used. So this is the pa I have.

• Members

hey, nothing wrong with that. i put together a little "pa head" system at work about a decade ago that still works fine, a soundtech similar to your phonic running into jbl MR 10" speakers. not everything has to be a grand system. what microphone do you use now, and what dont you like about it? see we're just trying to get to know you and what you have so we can help you better. tell us more, i'm interested.

• Members

hey, nothing wrong with that. i put together a little "pa head" system at work about a decade ago that still works fine, a soundtech similar to your phonic running into jbl MR 10" speakers. not everything has to be a grand system. what microphone do you use now, and what dont you like about it? see we're just trying to get to know you and what you have so we can help you better. tell us more, i'm interested.

thanks coaster, I've been taking a lot of heat for the phonic pa. I just expected more of the same. i have a shure sm48s-lc and a digital reference as a backup. I like the shure I was just wondering if there was anything else that would be any better.

• Members

well see now i have used the shure 48 and let me tell ya yes there are a lot better mics. the sm58 is better and still has a lot of qualities that the 48 has, but i didnt mention it because its more than $100, usually $129-ish

the shure 48 isnt a bad mic, has a nice crisp midrange that the sm58 has but the 48 has a huge handling noise problem in my experience, and also tend to want to feed back easier than the 58 (different people have different results)

i like the e835 a LOT better than the 58 though if that helps, the 58 is never my goto mic anymore unless requested by the muso. in fact i do not carry any with me unless requested in advance. even the most reluctant musicians that have balked at the e835 end up liking it after they use it for a little while, it has a nice smooth mid bump to it that may be just a little lower than i would like it but i have never had an issue with that. i've had great results with lack-of-feedback in the wedges, moreso than with the 58 (i find i need less eq) and while the e835 is a little less forgiving than the 58 for off-axis pickup its still close.

the EV mics mentioned are not bad either, i have about 8 EV mics and find them 'ok'. i have 257's and 357's and some other ones too.

the audix (OM2) i think is a good mic but IME not a forgiving mic, others may have different experiences.

if you think the sm48 is good, i think you would love the e835. either that or pony up for a 58. if you were up here in ND i'd have ya come to my shop and try every mic i have.

• Members

well see now i have used the shure 48 and let me tell ya
yes
there are a lot better mics. the sm58 is better and still has a lot of qualities that the 48 has, but i didnt mention it because its more than $100, usually $129-ish

the shure 48 isnt a bad mic, has a nice crisp midrange that the sm58 has but the 48 has a huge handling noise problem in my experience, and also tend to want to feed back easier than the 58 (different people have different results)

i like the e835 a
LOT
better than the 58 though if that helps, the 58 is
never
my goto mic anymore unless requested by the muso. in fact i do not carry any with me unless requested in advance. even the most reluctant musicians that have balked at the e835 end up liking it after they use it for a little while, it has a nice smooth mid bump to it that may be just a little lower than i would like it but i have never had an issue with that. i've had great results with lack-of-feedback in the wedges, moreso than with the 58 (i find i need less eq) and while the e835 is a little less forgiving than the 58 for off-axis pickup its still close.

the EV mics mentioned are not bad either, i have about 8 EV mics and find them 'ok'. i have 257's and 357's and some other ones too.

the audix (OM2) i think is a good mic but IME not a forgiving mic, others may have different experiences.

if you think the sm48 is good, i think you would love the e835. either that or pony up for a 58. if you were up here in ND i'd have ya come to my shop and try every mic i have.

Wow coaster, a wealth of knowledge and advice! I've seen some 58s in auction a ebay and some used ones for around 60. it seems to me that it might be worth getting the 58 or the E835 for my main and use the 48 as a backup? I could keep the Digital Reference DR-LVX2 as a third one. Have you ever heard of Digital Reference?

• Members

i have but i have never used one. careful buying a 58 on eBay, lots of low quality phonies. better to buy from an established seller, like sweetwater or even someone local in your area. i would avoid buying used as well, who knows what shape its in or whats on the diaphragm (or if its fake). if you're set on a 58 just remember its a popular mic because it is a popular mic.

• Members

i have but i have never used one. careful buying a 58 on eBay, lots of low quality phonies. better to buy from an established seller, like sweetwater or even someone local in your area. i would avoid buying used as well, who knows what shape its in or whats on the diaphragm (or if its fake). if you're set on a 58 just remember its a popular mic
because
it is a popular mic.

didn't realize about the fakes coaster. not sure what you mean about 58 being a popular mic, unless i'm being too analytical on your post. I will say that 58 and the e835 have come up consistently in a few of the forums i've posted in.

• Members

E835 gets a lot of love here...and I am no exception. Love this solid German mic!

agreed; i haven heard any senny i didnt like for something, even my old 421 (with gaff taped shure clip :D ). i like the 604's also, and whatever number that 'hang in front of a guitar amp with a cable" mic is...904? i dont own any of that mic but i use them once in a while.

• Members

Wow coaster, a wealth of knowledge and advice! I've seen some 58s in auction a ebay and some used ones for around 60. it seems to me that it might be worth getting the 58 or the E835 for my main and use the 48 as a backup? I could keep the Digital Reference DR-LVX2 as a third one. Have you ever heard of Digital Reference?

You should be careful about buying used mics on Ebay. The SM58 & E835 are both big targets for the counterfieters (precisly because they are such popular mics). FWIW SM58 (last I looked) can usualy be had for around $109 and if you look around you occasionaly find one for $99.

I buy lots of used mic on Ebay but I have some pretty esoteric mics that nobody counterfiets :>)

• Members
I'm not sure what you mean. I will be singing into the microphone through a pa system. Outside of that I don't know what answer you are looking for.

well what the heck do you think was meant? You can mic many things other than the voice. And how many do you need for a 1-man act?

Archived