suggestion for small vocal PA / monitor

• Members

Looking at purchasing a couple of powered speakers that would be very small club vocal mains and larger venue additional monitors. Looking for suggestions. The units should be able to run safely at 120 dbc at 3 feet, pole mountable, clean enough for vocal only duties and preferably able to set on the floor at a suitable angle for monitor duties. They'll be used as monitors more than anything, but I can see several places where they would be useful beyond that. Band's onstage volume is below 110 dbc.

Suggestions?

• Members

JBL PRX-512m

Only $597 each -- cheaper than the QSC K-12 and better resale value 5 years from now.

(Note that in Colorado, Yorkville is not a well-known brand....its more of an East Coast item -- which is why I have not purchased Yorkville before, its gonna be a tough sell when you wanna replace 'em)

• Members
where did you find them for 597 ???

EDIT: Nevemind, Audiolines...

Beware, that price is for "warehouse resealed" and Audiolines is notorious for listing prices for "B" stock, "warehouse resealed" etc that they can't actually come up with when you order it. At best they are a "bait and switch" sleaseball type operation :mad:.

• Members

With quite a few years of exposure to Traynor equipment, built by Yorkville Sound, the Yorkville doesn't scare me, but it looks like on the spec sheet that one JBL would outperform two of the Yorkvilles. (Slightly) You guys aren't making this decision easy. Thanks for your input.

• Members

With quite a few years of exposure to Traynor equipment, built by Yorkville Sound, the Yorkville doesn't scare me, but it looks like on the spec sheet that one JBL would outperform two of the Yorkvilles. (Slightly) You guys aren't making this decision easy. Thanks for your input.

Twice the price of the Yorkville. It should perform better. It's more than you need for a floor monitor though. We're a fairly loud rock band and the NX25P we use has more than enough volume and headroom for what we do.

• Members

JBL PRX-512m

Only $597 each -- cheaper than the QSC K-12 and better resale value 5 years from now.

I sell both, and the K12 will be less expensive every time. I would want to verify that at $597, the are really new speakers, with a FACTORY warranty and being sold from an authorized JBL reseller. I suspect than this is not true for the example given.

For this application, I would look at the PRX-512, the K12, K10, Eon 500 series, the Yorkville models mentioned etc. Any of these could work quite well depending on the OP's needs.

• Members

I was deciding between the JBL PRX512, Yorkville NXP55, and QSC K12s. The QSC HPR weren't really any option due to weight. I ended up with the JBLs and so far have only used them as "monitors" at home 3-4 times since I got them and they are loud and clear. We were playing at stage volume, actually probably louder since no one could tell us we were too loud. :) I could hear myself very clearly through one of the PRX 512s. It sounded better than the monitors the band I play with uses and I was using the PRX 512s with a mic right into them. I'd think going through a mixer with some EQ they'd sound even better.

• Members

Audiolines = snake oil. I bought some Cerwin Vega subs from them about 8 years ago. They removed the drivers and put in cheap ones. I threatened legal action and turning them into every consumers group I could think of and they sent me the original drivers. They remind me of those East/West coast shops that sell gray market stuff.

• Members

Wynn,

You may also want to consider the Yorkville YX15p. Obviously, they're a 15" box though. Same ballpark as the NX25p, as far as price goes. I don't believe Yorkville has a powered version of the YX12.

The NX25p has a built-in 3-band eq with its' onboard pre-amp.

• Members

Hi,

I just went thru the same thing. Looking for small/lightweight

but very LOUD. The new JBL EON 510s are the ticket !!!!

280W and 17lbs.... did I mention 17lbs and LOUD !!!!

Can be used as a floor monitor, or main speakers

Good Luck

The weight's good but max spl 121 isn't that loud.

• Members

Wynn, we all know you aren't looking to blow your ears out with outrageous volume but my PRXs have been used as monitors for speaking events and karaoke, FOH (with subs) for a LOUD rock band, FOH (no subs) for a jazz trio in a restaurant type setting, and FOH (no subs) for vocals only. They have performed each and every job flawlessly and sounded excellent in each situation. They are powerful, versatile, and light weight. I know that you will be extremely happy with a PRX512 purchase.

Archived