Yamaha 01V or Peavey 16FX?

• Members

Well, like the the title says, which of the two would you prefer to buy and use?

I mainly mix small bands, do music playback (from a laptop or MP3 player), and small-medium club/corporate voice events.

The plan is to condense my current system into a much smaller footprint and go with powered cabs and monitors eventually. For now, mains are Yamaha S115Vs driven by a Peavey DPC 1400X power amp and the subbage is a Yorkville Pulse PW.

Thanks!

• Members

For me the 01v is a winner hands down. I own a 01V version 1 that I use for small things.

So much packed into it with such a small package. The only thing really stopping me would be the learning curve. If you are comfortable with that then it's a clear winner IMO. YMMV

• Members

I don't know if you need all of the flexability that an 01V will give you but I wouldn't put them in the same ballpark (the 01V wins hands down).

There is a learning curve and yes it won't ever be quite as fast as an analog board but with some familiartiy you can make up a lot of that difference. What the 01V is capable of, is miles beyond the PV.

• Members

Well, you guys have pretty much cinched it for me. I am going to get a 01V in the near future. Does the MY8-AD card give me 8 more balanced inputs?

My plan is to sell my Yamaha EMX 5000-12 board and replace it with the 01V. For smaller gigs (think 1-2 mics and a laptop full of MP3 files), I will use my teeny Peavey RQ-200 analog mixer and use the 01V for larger gigs. I have two Yamaha Club S115s and a powered sub for mains duty.

Next step is to go to powered speakers, but gotta shake more $ loose first!

Thanks, everyone!

• Members

The MY8-AD card will give you 8 more balanced inputs HOWEVER note that they are only line-level. Fine for keyboards (usually) and other line-level devices but you will need separate pre-amps to use them with microphones.

Personally I have a Behringer ADA8000 and the ADAT card in my 01V. The combination gives me 8 more channels of mics or line-level inputs.

One other BIG thing to note. If you are talking about a used 01v version 1 those added 8 channels aren't fully featured. They can only be sent to aux 1/2 not 3 or 4. They only have a 2 band EQ. No gain only an attenuator.

I also haven't used them in awhile but I remember it being a pain to adjust the volume.

I used them for external devices, Cd player, ipod etc.

You can swap them with input channels 1-8 but that doesn't really help you much. Just keep that in mind if that's what you are trying to do.

I believe on the 01V96 the digital channels are now fully featured.

• Members

Not to try to persuade you, as you seem to have made up your mind, but what does the 01V cost vs. the FX mixer? This is an apples and oranges comparison in my book.

More like, pick the mixer that better suits your application, regardless of cost.

• Members

Gain on the extra ADAT inputs should be taken care of at the external preamp. I use the 01V with the ADAT card, it is MUCH more flexible than using an analog board of the same size. I really like the 01V for corporate simply because the EQ is excellent and I can "see" all the inputs at once. Routing is easy and there are enough sends and busses for feeds here and there. Using the ADA8000's outputs means I can send 4 stereo feeds on XLR if needed though I don't have the best control over level (you can route everything to a buss and route the buss to the ADAT outputs and the busses have a virtual fader on them. Or Aux sends work too).

The only channels that get added (17-24) are NOT fully functional (2 band EQ, aux 1-2/effect 1-2 on virtual faders. I use them for toms and hi-hat and maybe even CD/Ipod inputs when the main layer is full.

The stereo TRS channels actually have enough gain to plug a mic right in, I'll only use this for tom mics or a stereo guitar channel if I have to, and the stereo inputs can individually be panned (13 panned center, 14 panned left). Mono inputs that are adjactent only can be stereo paired (5&6 not 5&8&10 like the 01V96).

There are 3 fader groups (all faders move up and down together proportionally) and 3 mute groups (pressing ON turns all those channels ON together). EVERY input AND output has the 4 band parametric EQ and delay. So it's just a lot more powerfull than any analog board.

BUT

you need to spend some time with it, get used to where things are and how to access them easily. Some people really take to the board, some who just want basic function and could care less really would be better off with the Peavey (or any of that size frame).

• Members

With the 01V ver 1 there is no way to add more fully functional channels. Even with the ADAT and a preamp (like the ADA8000) you will have the limitations on your additional channels. You have to get Yamaha's ADAT card for the 01v. Model is MY-8AD I think.

For reference on cost I paid $400 for my 01v with the ADAT card installed already. I've seen them for around this price but somewhat infrequently.

As SoundMan says, pick the one that suits your needs and application.

And a big +1 to everything Unalaska said.

• Members

To me, the 01V without the card is not worth near as much. Get the board that suits you though, that means more than bells and whitles.

The systems I send out with another tech never get the 01V. No one wants to use it, the learning curve is too great. I have 3 or 4 other boards they can use but I'll take the 01V out anytime I can.

• Members

Not to try to persuade you, as you seem to have made up your mind, but what does the 01V cost vs. the FX mixer? This is an apples and oranges comparison in my book.

More like, pick the mixer that better suits your application, regardless of cost.

Good advice.

• Members

Then somewhere in between the 2 and more towards the Yamaha is the StudioLive. Doesn't matter to me which you choose, but have you even looked at the Presonus SL? It would seem to fit exactly what you're looking to do, which is pretty much our setup. It takes longer to set up our DMX lighting than it does our PA. Nothing more to buy to get extra inputs either.

• Members

Honestly, I would love to go with the Studio Live, it would meet my needs almost perfectly, but the $ to get one just are not available to me right now, nor will they be soon.

Based on what folks say here, I am going to re-examine my needs to see which is better for my specific criteria. In the end, I want a simple system with mixer and any other stuff in a portable slant-top rack and a few powered cabs. Most of my work is music playback and 1-2 mics for public events and some dance functions, for which a 16fx is plenty, but the per-input controls of the 01V would be excellent for the 1-3 times a year when I mix a band.

Sometimes, when you ask a question, the answer is people telling you what questions you *should* be asking. This seems to be the case here. I would love to test drive an 01V. Anyone near Gainesville, FL run an 01V?

Thanks, gang, please keep any advice coming. It will be a bit before I pull the trigger on this deal, so your input is very helpful.

• Members

Frankly, with those parameters I'd narrow down a list of acceptable mixers (analog) and then look used. You'll lower your cash outlay and be able to sell at or very near what you purchased it for if you start doing more later. Tough to buy a $900 mixer now and then start doing more and selling it for $600 to replace with something else. Yamaha, Peavey, Mackie, Soundcraft, A&H are a few brands that should have viable offerings in the used market.

Archived