Need advice in upgrading our system

• Members

Our band is currently running a fairly small P.A. A small powered Mackie 8 channel that drives a couple of passive Mackie speakers and a couple of powered EONs out front. We also have four wedges on stage and a seperate power amp to drive it.

The board is very limited and I need some aux sends so our singer can switch to in an in ear monitor. I think we need to upgrade our system to include some subs and a little more oomph to our vocals.

How would you guys go about upgrading our small system a piece at a time? I think my first step is to get a better mixer with some aux sends for the in ear transmitter. Should we go with powered subs?

Max

• Members

OK, it sounds like powered subs are recommended over passive subs.

I have been thinking of picking up a used 16 channel Mackie mixer as it seems to have enough aux sends. I also want to get guitars and keyboards into the FOH mix, in the past we have been putting only vocals, kick drum and a drum overhead. It is time to step up our live sound.

I just need some suggestions on gear that works well for a weekend warrior type band. We play about 4-6 gigs per month. We have two guitars, keyboards, drums and two singers making up a 5 piece band. I am not rich but I do get paid for gigs so I can spend some money.

Max

• Members

The popular choices are here are JBL PRXs, QSC HPR, QSC K Series, and Yorkville (NXP55 FOH/LSP720 subs). I recently started to put together my own PA and went with the JBL. So far, I have only picked up a pair JBL PRX 512s and for powered speakers they are extremely light. Definitely lighter than the old Peavey and Yamaha speakers the band I play with currently uses.

Of the above brands referenced you should be able to get 2 FOH and 2 subs for under $3000-3500 depending on which speakers you choose. One issue I see is that there's not a lot of the above on the used market yet.

• Members

What model is the Mackie board are you looking at? If you are buying used you might be able to find some Mackie 1501 powered subs. My band used a pair for about 5 years in bar situations with good results. We now use the QSC HPR subs. If you are buying new you can get a mail in rebate until the end of January. I believe it is $150.00 per sub.

• Members

I have been looking at the CR1604-VLZ, CFX-16 MK2. Both of those seem to have enough inputs and aux sends to get me where I need to go for now I think.

I will have to upgrade the system in parts as I mostly use money from gigs to finance gear upgrades. I may also sell off some of my extra guitars and some extra guitar speaker cabs I have to generate a little extra cash.

Max

• Members

Is the infamous Mackie ribbon cable problem solved? I also thought that Mackie might be facing some serious financial problems. Make sure you do your homework before making the purchase.

I second gonzobassman's suggestion to look at Allen & Heath.

• Members

Seeing as what you posted in the OP are you considering getting the mixer, followed by subs, and then upgrading FOH speakers?

I think the EONs could make good monitors. Atleast you don't need mics, cables, stands, etc... that will save you a good deal.

• CMS Author

I'd suggest something other than Mackie. The models CR has ribbon cable problems that have plagued them for years and have no business not being fixed thoroughly. There's NO excuse for this issue to still be around. The CFX series are just not very good mixers IMO. Plus, Mackie's parent company LOUD Tech. has been in dire financial straights for the past year or more, has cut production and I'd be very reluctant to trust them being around for long.

Yamaha MG, Peavey FX, Allen & Heath Mixwizard (

• Members

I have been looking at the CR1604-VLZ, CFX-16 MK2. Both of those seem to have enough inputs and aux sends to get me where I need to go for now I think.

I will have to upgrade the system in parts as I mostly use money from gigs to finance gear upgrades. I may also sell off some of my extra guitars and some extra guitar speaker cabs I have to generate a little extra cash.

Max

I have owned 5 Mackie mixers in the past including the 1604 VLZ and the CFX16. The CFX is as Craig said a POS. While I never had problems with any of them I would also be leary of mackie now days.

• Members

In accordance with the old 'Buy Once, Cry Once' policy, you should steer clear of Mackie at this time.

I think a vast majority of users here would agree that the Allen & Heath Mixwiz is the champion of small format mixers and an extremely safe purchase. They can be had used for a good price or are reasonable new too.

For powered speakers, the bag is much more mixed. Most wouldn't mind recommending the QSC HPR or JBL PRX (not my choice, but they are light) with maybe some votes for Yorkville (which don't seem to exist in my area). Sure, they cost more upfront. But you'll be happy with them for a lot longer and they'll hold their value much better.

I'd vote for a single 12" over 18" subs configuration, which would probably work for most small bar gigs, while being portable and flexible. Of course, opinions are like a-holes...

Archived