Peavey 24fx / QSC K12 / Carvin LSx1523A

• Members

Ok - back in October I had posted that our K12s went during a show.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2458972

BTW - thanks to all who responded with advice and help. QSC is VERY cool and replaced both speakers. Anyway - we sold the K12s to our bass player who left the band and we got a set of Carvin LSx1523A which is also a powered speaker. We are using a Peavy 24fx for a mixer. Well last night it started again. The mains (Carvins) started going in and out just like the K12s did.

I read on the Peavy forum that is might be common with this mixer and a software ungrade might be needed. Has anyone had any expirence with this??? Also - one of the Carvins is in protect mode and will only stay on for a few seconds - is it fried??

Whatever advise you have would be greatly apprciated. Also - keep in mind that we are pretty new to PA stuff so you can talk to me like a three year old and I wouldn't get mad. HA HA HA. Thanks again for any help.

• Members

If you had a Mackie mixer I'd say you had a ribbon cable problem...wan't aware that Peavey suffered similarly. I know Soundman (engineer from Peavey) frequents the forum and has a lot of insight to those mixers.

• Members

Unfortunately, we've had several of these complaints. I've had several of them returned directly to me and we have been unable to reproduce the problem.

Pretty hard to fix something you can't see...:mad:

If you would like, you can PM me and we can discuss the details of your situation. I can also provide you with the files/instructions to update your mixer. I just can't guarantee it will fix that particular problem, since we can't get them to do it here. Although, the programmer told me he fixed a couple of obscure bugs that could cause the code to break. So, maybe we'll get lucky.

• Members

There's something that bothers me about your continued problems... you seem to be having issues with different products, different brabds, even different types of devices. That, and what Jim mentioned about beig unable to reproduce these types of events and complaints in-house leads me to one distinct possibility...

Are you noticing these failures happening in one location? My first suspicion would be a gross power fault, something that is either casuing large voltage spikes, surges or high line conditions that is causing the failures. An intermittent neutral conductor is probably the most common or likely cause, but I would suggest stepping back and analyzing the situation more carefully and maybe it's time to find a professional to take a look also.

You are using properly grounded power right? No ground pins broken off or adaptors being used right?

• CMS Author

FWIW, kudos to Peavey in general, and Soundman in particular for being upfront about product issues, and especially for being here and responding to the community.

In our current age of buck-passing and blame-gaming, it's absolutely wonderful to see a company care about customer retention.:thu:

• Members

FWIW, kudos to Peavey in general, and Soundman in particular for being upfront about product issues, and especially for being here and responding to the community.

In our current age of buck-passing and blame-gaming, it's absolutely wonderful to see a company care about customer retention.
:thu:

+1000:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

In our current age of buck-passing and blame-gaming, it's absolutely wonderful to see a company care about customer retention.

Agreed!!!

Did you have a cell phone sitting on top of the mixer? If I set my cell phone next to my Sony MP3 player, the MP3 will start cutting out when the cell phone searches for towers. I noticed it by chance when I was driving and had both in the cup holder...

• Members

Absolutely. Cowboy up and take responsibility, the long term benefits are almost always worth it.

• Members

There's something that bothers me about your continued problems... you seem to be having issues with different products, different brabds, even different types of devices. That, and what Jim mentioned about beig unable to reproduce these types of events and complaints in-house leads me to one distinct possibility...

Are you noticing these failures happening in one location? My first suspicion would be a gross power fault, something that is either casuing large voltage spikes, surges or high line conditions that is causing the failures. An intermittent neutral conductor is probably the most common or likely cause, but I would suggest stepping back and analyzing the situation more carefully and maybe it's time to find a professional to take a look also.

You are using properly grounded power right? No ground pins broken off or adaptors being used right?

Hey - no two separate locations one indoor and one outdoor. Everything is grounded properly.

• Members

yep - Soundman is helping us out - he is the MAN!!!! - if he gets it fixed HA HA HA..

yeah - we were trying to decide between this Peavey and a Mackie and went with Peavey because of their customer service. I have never had a problem that Peavey hasn't helped me out. Seem like pretty good people.

• CMS Author

yep - Soundman is helping us out - he is the MAN!!!! - if he gets it fixed HA HA HA..

yeah - we were trying to decide between this Peavey and a Mackie and went with Peavey because of their customer service. I have never had a problem that Peavey hasn't helped me out. Seem like pretty good people.

My money is on this gets fixed right, and you'll walk away smiling. My experience has been that Hartley has a top-notch crew.

Now if only he'd spend a little for some bandwidth on his website....;)

Archived