Quad box for amps

• Members

For those of you that use a quad box instead of the power "conditioner" to power your amps, I have some questions.....

Do you plug all the amps into the quad box at every gig, or does the box reside in the amp case?

If the box resides in the amp case, do you have it mounted?.....and how so?

I built a quad box some time ago, and mine resides in the case, but I have yet to figure out a way to mount it without drilling holes in my amp case. So, it is just flopping around in there.

Let me know what you guys do.....and attach pics if you can.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I do.

Me too, I have several templates that allow 1, 2 or 3 boxes to be installed and on a tall rack it alows front mounting with the box(es) off the back of the panel and power cables route into the back at the bottom of the rack.

Be sure to use flanged panels for strength and bond all metal parts to ground and the panel with locking hardware.

• Members

link removed by moderator

How does that help the OP? He's looking at plugging in power amps, has nothing to do with Powercons

Also, it should be noted that the PowerCon panel that's shown is illegal as hell. It's missing the most essential of all items... the ground bond to the panel itself, and you must bond each and every source that's on an independant plug device. That means 4 bonds forthe 4 seperate circuits. As shown, it's illegal and potentially unsafe.

Also, the plastic box is totally illegal... it's not listed for anything remotely like this application, as well as having been modified with connectors not listed for this application. Those connectors must be bonded to ground as well in order to be legal (aside from violating the existing listing of the box).

IMO, you really ought to take that page down before somebody hurts themselves.

• CMS Author

How does that help the OP? He's looking at plugging in power amps, has nothing to do with Powercons

Also, it should be noted that the PowerCon panel that's shown is illegal as hell. It's missing the most essential of all items... the ground bond to the panel itself, and you must bond each and every source that's on an independant plug device. That means 4 bonds forthe 4 seperate circuits. As shown, it's illegal and potentially unsafe.

Also, the plastic box is totally illegal... it's not listed for anything remotely like this application, as well as having been modified with connectors not listed for this application. Those connectors must be bonded to ground as well in order to be legal (aside from violating the existing listing of the box).

IMO, you really ought to take that page down before somebody hurts themselves.

I've had enough of trying to persuade TimmyP to stop posting links to his site with the kludged-up messes of "poor-man's" distro's etc. From this point on I'm removing those links, and I'll warn him personally via PM.

• Members

Raxxess has a modular rack panel system that can take care of your PD.

DUPLEX.jpg

MCF.jpg

Bill, verify that the products contain a UL listing or recognition for this application. This may have changed, but there was no listing when I checked a while back. The system must include a UL listed backbox with adequate cubic volume and markings to meet the NEC box fill requirements, as well as the materials and thickness must be suitable for carrying the ground bond through all parts. The rail system without a backbox does not meet this criteria and I do not think the material thickness meets the standard, though the listing process will testthe particular application for a listing as an intended use. Most 4-sq boxes are designed to carry a fault current of 50 amps minumum.

• Members

I do not recall any previous posts that one would have considered an effort to dissuade me from posting about my 'ohmbru AC' widgets. Perhaps I missed them. In a response to Craig's firm yet cordial and professional PM, I have agreed to cease posting about such gadgets.

I've had enough of trying to persuade TimmyP to stop posting links to his site with the kludged-up messes of "poor-man's" distro's etc. From this point on I'm removing those links, and I'll warn him personally via PM.

• Members

I drilled holes in my rack. Actually, most of my racks have bonus holes in them.

:D:D

If I can, I use a rear rail rack mounted AC distro (several companies make them), otherwise I use short screws and mount the quad inside the rack. I try to put it into the bottom (you can use longer screws for mounting integrity) but placement depends on the depth of your rack & the depth of the devices in it. I try to put the heaviest amps on the bottom (this takes prescidence over where I'll put the AC). Keep in mind that if there's enough amps, you may well need more than 1 20A AC feed to it (those are the racks that are so much fun to move ;)).

I'm not sure I'd trust velcro to secure the AC (if it came loose though it probably wouldn't be a giant issue). The silicon glue would work fine but if you ever want to move it's placement, you'll tear half of the plywood off removing the box. Screws work great.

my .02

• Members

so wait a minute, if you have say a l5-20 flanged inlet in a 3 space panel wired to a quad mounted on the panel, do you need to bond BOTH the box and the panel or just the box?

what if the panel itself is not metal?

i'm just curious is all.

• CMS Author

so wait a minute, if you have say a l5-20 flanged inlet in a 3 space panel wired to a quad mounted on the panel, do you need to bond BOTH the box and the panel or just the box?

what if the panel itself is not metal?

i'm just curious is all.

All metal components that enclose a receptacle have to be bonded to ground. The quad box should have provision (a boss for a green screw, for instance) for this via a ground wire tail, or you can use receptacles that have a bonding yoke (the yoke screws are NOT sufficient if it's not that type of recep).

Note Andy's second to last post; the components used must be UL listed for the intended use, and assembled according to manufacturer instructions.

• Members

Me too, I have several templates that allow 1, 2 or 3 boxes to be installed and on a tall rack it alows front mounting with the box(es) off the back of the panel and power cables route into the back at the bottom of the rack.

Be sure to use flanged panels for strength and bond all metal parts to ground and the panel with locking hardware.

Can you take a pic? I'd love to see this. I'm more visual :)

T

Archived