Should I buy it?

• Members

Ok guys, My Mackie 1604 vlz pro is on it's last breath and has been used heavily for the last 8 or so years. The channels go in and out. I have took it apart countless times ending up with more screws than started with and am basically finished with it. Anyway, My bass player loned me his MixWizard dx 16:2 not the Wz3. The preamps sound better and is frankly easier to use with more parametric eq options, and I think the onboard effects are decent. Anyway. I can buy it off of him for 350$ which I think this a hell of a deal. Yes I do trust this guy. But, the other day I noticed a glitch which seems to be a common problem amongst these. On channel 10, the fader (only once so far) puts out full level no matter where the fader is. Then sometimes it works normally. I don't have the cash right now for a new decent mixer thats not a ... behringer and I can't bring myself to buy one. Your thoughts? I am real close to buying this one.

I am also thinking of getting a Presonus studio live her in a few months with the right funds but am nervous that when someone runs it besides me they will get really confused. Thanks

• Members

Its a known issue that can happen with these consoles. It is a ground issue with the wire that connects the channel cards. Generally, you pop off the back and re-solder the groundwire connection to that channel and it is fixed. Not a big deal to do.

• Members

you really pulled the pre section out of both the mixwiz and mackie and hooked them up to something to allow you to hear a side by side comparison of each, unaffected by any other factors?

while i agree the A&H is a better board i hardly believe the pres are much different if at all, only difference i notice is a different taper in the trim pot.

i have the version 3 mixwiz and a 1604vlz. i held out for the version 3 because the version 2 had to many things i didnt like such as recessed global phantom and the known fader issue. i havent heard of a version 3 with the fader ground problem.

also, it doesnt have a parametric eq. but for $350 i would buy it if i didnt have a version 3. if you take it in it may ruin $200 to fix or you could do it yourself, but seeing as you had trouble taking the mackie apart (easy)i wouldnt recommend you disassemble the mixwiz (not as easy).

edit: on the mackie, the only way to really fix the channels cutting in and out is to pull the main board with several allen head screws. clean each connection of the ribbon cable ends with deoxit. also check the channel inserts, and the HPF buttons in the eq section; i have had issues with all these in my mackie but right now it works %100. it seems i have to do this about every 3 years on that board, doesnt cost anything but takes a good half a day. also allows a good washing of the silk screen panel with all the pots out and i soak the knobs/fader caps in some cleaner too. i havent had to do a damn thing to the mixwiz.

• Members

edit: on the mackie, the only way to really fix the channels cutting in and out is to pull the main board with several allen head screws. clean each connection of the ribbon cable ends with deoxit. also check the channel inserts, and the HPF buttons in the eq section; i have had issues with all these in my mackie but right now it works %100. it seems i have to do this about every 3 years on that board, doesnt cost anything but takes a good half a day. also allows a good washing of the silk screen panel with all the pots out and i soak the knobs/fader caps in some cleaner too. i havent had to do a damn thing to the mixwiz.

That's not going to solve the problem... it's at the IDC connection, not the pin/socket connections that they go intermittent. The only solution is to replace the ribbon cable assy.

• Members

you really pulled the pre section out of both the mixwiz and mackie and hooked them up to something to allow you to hear a side by side comparison of each, unaffected by any other factors?

also, it doesnt have a parametric eq. but for $350 i would buy it if i didnt have a version 3. if you take it in it may ruin $200 to fix or you could do it yourself, but seeing as you had trouble taking the mackie apart (easy)i wouldnt recommend you disassemble the mixwiz (not as easy).

Personally I like the sound for my band better I meant. Seems to be a quieter board. Then again, my mackie has been through a lot so not a fair comparison.

As far as parametric. I meant you have more eq options for each channel on the A & H than the Mackie.:cop:

• Members

The Mix Wiz is a much more featured board. Grab it for that price! Mine developed the same problem on a couple of channels, and it took me about 2 hours to solder all the fader connections and I've never had a problem since. Pretty easy to do if you are comfortable with a soldering iron. If not, it shouldn't cost much over $100 to have it done for you.

Winston

Archived