okay to store PA equipment in garage?

• Members

Hello -- I'm new to all this. Live in Florida, so it doesn't get real cold. Tonight's about as cold as it ever gets [going to be about 25 degrees]. Obviously, gets hot and humid in the summer.

Question is, is PA equipment okay to store in a garage? I suppose I could find a spot in the house if necessary. But if it's all the same, I have a convenient spot in the garage for my PA and mics [mics are in a bag with cables].

Sorry for such an amateur question, but I've been playing a long time. Just never in front of anyone. So I just ordered a PA and I plan to start doing a few acoustic duos.

thanks

• Members

Thanks for the responses guys. Glad to hear ya'll think the garage will be fine. I can just see my 3 and 6 year olds plugging in one day for a little game of "I wonder what this button does".

I ordered a Yamaha Stagepas 500, so I don't need a ton of room. Yeah, it gets humid down here and that was my biggest concern. But my house is pretty new and the garage is totally dry. And it's detached from the house so I can play when everyone's sleeping, which is nice.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

• Members

Don't leave tonewoods like percussion or stringed instruments in the garage. The heat/humidity will adversely affect the tone and/or the finish beyond repair.

PA gear such as speakers and electronics should be OK as long as they are not flush to the ground (draws moisture into wood and speakers). Excess humidity absorb into the speaker cones making them heavier and they will change their sound.

• Members

Don't leave tonewoods like percussion or stringed instruments in the garage. The heat/humidity will adversely affect the tone and/or the finish beyond repair.

I had this problem over the summer - Carelessly left the guitars in the garage for a week after the gig. Result: Finish checking on one of the guitars, rust beginning to form on EVERYTHING metal...

I think the main issue (other than the insane humidity we had that week), is that the guitars were sealed up in their cases. I make sure the PA gear is stored so air can circulate... So far, so good.

• Members

You can store gear in -100 degrees... the critical piece being, you need to allow it to warm up properly -- especially with electronics before turning any of it on. Going from cold to hot = condensation / moisture. So letting the gear warm up, letting the condensation evaporate is key.

• Members

PA gear such as speakers and electronics should be OK as long as they are not flush to the ground (draws moisture into wood and speakers). Excess humidity absorb into the speaker cones making them heavier and they will change their sound.

Thanks -- interesting about not leaving speakers on the ground. Didn't know that.

Guitars are inside. Hung on the wall with care...

• Members

I was partly joking for dramatic effect.... but nonetheless, the rest of my statement holds true. Condensation = Bad.... let the gear warm up and let the condensation that develops evaporate before using.... and you shouldnt have any problems.

• Members

I was partly joking for dramatic effect.... but nonetheless, the rest of my statement holds true. Condensation = Bad.... let the gear warm up and let the condensation that develops evaporate before using.... and you shouldnt have any problems.

sometimes that can take a startling amount of time...i've brought gear in, opened up the racks and let it sit for 2 hours+ in 70F inside and had it still be radiating COLD from the racks. at this point in my life, i bring it in out of the truck, open the doors and turn everything on after an hour. the rack stuff will get warm quickly and the amp fans should take care of condensation.

i'm not saying thats what anyone else should do, but going from -39F to +70F takes a long time it seems.

• Members

Not recommended. If the electrolytic caps are exposed to temperatures that cold, the chemicals that comprise the dielectric could prematurely degrade. Dried caps (and a recap job) are the result.

Thanks man. Here in Florida, we rarely see -100. But if we do, I'll bring in the plants and my PA. http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/wink.gif

Archived