FOH Speaker Help

• Members

Hey everyone, glad to have found this site/forum. Been browsing around a bit and found some great information. Now, i'm looking for some help from you guys with respect to speakers. I play in a band, and we're in the market for something new. I'll give you a little background on the band first.

6 piece band, with 4 vocals (1 main, 3 backup), keyboard/accordian player (keyboard goes into the mixer through 1/4", accordian in mic'ed with a beta 57) ... drummer, one acoustic guitar, two electric guitar and a bass player.

Our gigs mostly consist of weddings and banquets. Venues we play are on the most part banquet halls with capacity of anywhere from 200 to 1000 people.

I was looking for some opinions on speakers. What do similar bands use, what do you guys recommend. I was looking at the Tour X series or possibly the QRX series for now, but i'm willing to look at just about anything.

Thanks for you help and take care.

• Members

Np, witsel ...

Monitors are small JBL wedges, into it's own power amp

Amps we have one QSC 2502 and one QSC 3102

EQ is a dbx 1231

Crossover is a dbx 223

Vocal mics are all SM58's

Accordion/Guitar Amp is mic'd with a 57 as is our snare drum and toms, bass drum with an AKG egg.

No soundman, we do sound ourselves and have alot of experience as we've been playing together for well over 8 years.

I would say, budget and vehicle ability wise, the above speakers that Rezrover recommended are a bit out of our price range ... probably looking more around the $5000 range, give or take $1000.

Thanks for the help.

• Members

An ideal application for either the JBL PRX, or QSC HPR depdning on your sensitivity to wieght. They are both powered, processed and biamped tops. Subs are also powered w/ active x-over. Together, they make a nice, compat,potent, great sounding triamped system right about in your budget. Sell off any un-needed amps and you should be good to go. It's a good time to make a real upgrade and this way you don't need to screw around with crossovers, DSP system processing or anything, just your eq's.

Start with say a PRX-518 or 718 per side and a PRX-512 per side and then if you decide to expand, just add identical modules of 1 sub and 1 top and you have expandability too. I would recommend 2 modules per side for 500-1000 people and you should be able to get away with 1 module per side for under 500 people if you keep your volume in check.

Archived