AmI crazy to want to do this?

• Members

I have a Crown 800CSL to run my monitors. I want to run 2 daisy chained off of each channel for a total of 4.

The question is, the "Monitor " out from my mixer is one 1/4 jack. Don't I need two inputs to the amp (left and right) to use both sides? If so, can I buy a splitter to split the single "monitor" signal into two so that I can use both sides of the amp?

Or am I a complete moron?

• Members

Yes. Do it with a Y-cable.

What you DO NOT want to do is to use the "Parallel Mono" setting on your Crown. Crown's idea of what constitutes "Parallel Mono" compared with every other individual on earth is beyond bizarre. I think they were probably heavily drinking when they came up with that bright idea.

• Members
What you
DO NOT
want to do is to use the "Parallel Mono" setting on your Crown. Crown's idea of what constitutes "Parallel Mono" compared with every other individual on earth is beyond bizarre. I think they were probably heavily drinking when they came up with that bright idea.

So, what did they do that is so bizarre?

• Members

So, what did they do that is so bizarre?

The old crown parallel mono mode doesn't split the input signal into the two sides. It reconfigures the output stage of the amplifier so it can drive as a single channel amp at lower impedance loads.

It's actually kind of a neat feature, but it is confusingly named and awkwardly implemented, especially taking into account what users are expecting it to do.

• Members
The old crown parallel mono mode doesn't split the input signal into the two amps. It reconfigures the output stage of the amplifier so it can drive a single channel at lower impedance loads.

Actually you have to do the reconfiguration yourself by running a jumper between the two "hot" outputs. I suspect that if you leave off the jumper it would act like any other parallel mono amp? Anybody know?

• Members

Balanced TS would be a neat trick.

They do have a ground lift for the inputs so you could do balanced (sans ground) with a TS jack. Not probable but it is a weird amp ;).

EDIT> I looked again and they do show a diagram of the input being TRS so all's well with the universe :lol:.

Archived