anyone use compression on keyboards?

• Members

One keyboard player I use a 5:1 with as much as 12db gain reduction on his loudest patches and no reduction on his softest :eek:. I thought it would squash all the "goodness" out of the keys but it really is a big improvement over trying to "chase" him all night :freak:.

• Members
I'm a keyboard player. I prefer to balance the volume by optimizing my presets for each song. Compression won't do that and it destroys the transients, timbre, and dynamics of all the sounds we are expected to produce.

Well. we would rather all you all did that so's we don't have to squash you :).

• Members

As a keyboard player, I spend hours here at home balancing my boards and the levels of the different patches within them. This means cracking the manuals and digging into their edit modes. I do this because I don't want compression on my boards.

If the keyboard players whom you work with don't take the time or put in the effort to do this on their own - well do what you gotta do.

• Members

But its way more likely that you find a keyboard player that has taken the time than a guitarist thats even read the manual on his new super duper effects pedal! LMAO Sorry had to explain how an effect worked to another guitarist Saturday night.

Archived