TC Electronics M One effects on live show- help

• Members

I just bought an m one the other day for vocal effects. I tried it for the first time at a gig last night but didn't have much success with it. I ran it mono, 1 aux send to 1 aux return. I'm a bit confused by all the different aux levels, input levels, output levels, mix levels, effect levels, ect. At first no matter what i did i couldn't get the effect to be audible. Then when i finally found on my mixer that i have an aux 1 send level, an aux 1 volume level, and an aux 1 return level i started to kind of make sense of it. On the mixer I ran the aux send at 25%, the aux volume at 50%, and the aux return at 25%, i had the individual vocal channels aux set at 25% as well. On the M One i had the input level at 50%, the mix at 50%, the effect at 50% and had it set on just a factory reverb. However, the effect sounded terrible and it was causing feedback and weird high pitch digital squeels from time to time. After messing with it a bit more i gave up and ended up just turning it off. Anyone have some advise on just getting some good clean vocal effects for live sound out of this setup? We play again tonight and i'd like to not have dry vocals this time.

• Members

The mix knob option is there because some people like to have a little of the dry signal in with the wet signal. For live shows though you already have a dry signal going to the mains from the vocal channel.

Set the dry/wet mix to 100% wet. Run out of your aux 1 channel to the unit. Turn up the aux output until you have a good signal getting to the unit. Since this is what seems to be your first foray into hooking this up I'd suggest setting the aux out to PRE FADER.

Then run out of the unit back to a mixer channel instead of the aux return. Use the gain on the mixer channel to get the signal strength you need then turn up the fader. Using this method you should get what you're looking for with enough volume.

• Members

The mix knob is for using the device in a series effects loop or insert, and is used to blend the wet with the original signal. This is NOT how you are using the unit. You are using it in what would be called a parallel path application and for this the mix control is not used, the parallel path provides the function (like on the mixer).

The M-one should be used with the send POST-fader, that way the effects level will track the signal at the channel fader and as you brinbg the fader signal (dry path) down, the effects tracks downward too. If/when you return the wet signal back to the channel, you must be absolutely certain that you do not turn that send up on the return channel you you will create an electrical feedback loop that will causebthe system to oscillate and likely cause seriious damage.

READ THE MAUNALS.

• Members

I'll try running it into another channel instead of the aux return next time. I had better success with it last night but it's still not doing exactly what i want yet. It did help running 100% wet and adjusting my input. I was in a noisy bar so it was hard to give all the settings a good run through. I just set it on medium room and kept the effect low. Anyone know if the factory drum settings in this unit work well for live drums? I eventually want to set it up on dual mono mode. 1 for vocals and 1 for drums.

• Members

Would you ever put two different effects on vocals then?

Only if the effect you are trying to achieve requires that. Sometimes I will use a verb and delay, or 2 different verbs with different times and rates and will use the second one to reinforce the first VERY carefully. Sometimes I will use a verb and slight chorus. Just depends.

To get very sophisticated with effects and have them turn out realistic (not silly) takes a lot of time and experience listening to how top engineers successfully use effects. Nothing worse to me than listening to a mix and hearing cheesy, inappropriate effects being used. Screams amateuer.

Archived