Using a laptop for guitar effects etc...

• Members

Ok, I had to sell a fair bit of my guitar equipment recently for financial reasons so I need to come up with a cheap way of sounding good live. Now I really like the tones I can get from Logic, running my guitar through my RMC Wizard and Digitech Whammy II into my M-Audio Profire 610 then to the laptop. It sounds great for recording purposes but I was wondering how this would sound live. Also would it be possible to use a MIDI Footswitch to change between different Channel Strip Settings?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Troy

• Members

It can work but you will hear about the use of computers in mission critical situations. If the computer crashes your show is dead. Make sure you have a dedicated Mac and keep it clean and you should be fine. What is your laptop?

I use an old iBook G4 for keys and DMX control and have never had a problem. It is a dedicated machine without a lot of extra programs.

• Members

Just last night, my audio analysis program glitched and I got some random (unintented) noises in my pink noise output. Had to stop everything and reboot. Then the USB device had a driver problem (according to troubleshooting) and rebooted again and everything was fine.

No way I would use this for a mission critical event where I was in front of people.

• Members

Does your MBP have the Express Card slot? If it does, look into a 48GB SSD drive. It is much more stable and fast. Due to it's size you can't have a lot of extra stuff on the start up drive. Check out this link...

http://www.macworld.com/article/145572/2010/01/ssd_macbook_pro.html

I do this with my 17" MBP (newest version - Christmas gift from wife) and it blows away the 7200 RPM drive in the computer. I use the internal HDD as a storage drive. The speed increase is indescribable.

Archived