slightly OT: Paint to finish mixer case

• Members
yes yes of course! and beltsanded the hell outta it, filled in any holes or crevices, sanded again. I now see how that was a bit misleading. But it sure looks great.

Damn, if you left the ratfur on they'd look like them rock speaker you put around your patio :lol:. In any case I'll have to check that out - I just got a pair of subs that were Duratex'd but have a lot of wood showing on the edges after a year of use. Probably didn't help that they have no feet or corner protectors - got 'em cheap though...

• Members

yes yes of course! and beltsanded the hell outta it, filled in any holes or crevices, sanded again. I now see how that was a bit misleading. But it sure looks great.

I've seen it done, believe it or not.

The prep work is really a bitch to do it right as you discovered!

• Members

Indeed, the prep is identical to what you'd expect for a smooth glossy painted item. You'd think the texture would hide a world of sins, but for some reason these coatings really mirror all surface flaws.

My case will be made from 1/2" new birch ply. Should finish nice.

• Members

Some Lowes stores have a rat fur that's a little thicker than the usual stuff, and has a thin rubber backing. A friend used it to cover a case he built for his Venice. It looks very nice, and is holding up exceptionally well. He said the item description was "boat carpet", so you might find similar stuff at a marine supply store.

• Members

I've seen it done, believe it or not.

The prep work is really a bitch to do it right as you discovered!

oh I fully agree there. I did 3 wedges, my drum mon. box, and a couple of yorkville sub boxes. The sanding is easy and the painting is easy but I never wanna take out another screw as long as I live!

• Members

oh I fully agree there. I did 3 wedges, my drum mon. box, and a couple of yorkville sub boxes. The sanding is easy and the painting is easy but I never wanna take out another screw as long as I live!

why? dont you have an electric drill? i'd agree by hand it would suck but i have a nice dewalt drill that i am quite fond of. makes a noisy flashlight but its a reasonable drill.

here's what i know about sanding and bedliner: use 80 grit before a prime coat, then sand the primer with 200 until you can see the grain though the primer. this is perfect for bedliner IME.

Archived