PA Speaker Specs

• Members

Based upon the following specs, assuming price was the same, which would be the best bang for the buck for these PA speakers?

Speaker A:

* 12" Woofer

* 10" x 4" horn

* (3) 3" Piezo tweeters

* 100W RMS

* 400 watts peak power

* Frequency response: 50 Hz to 20 kHz

* Push button connectors & dual 1/4" input jacks

* 8 ohms impedance

* Recessed side handles

* Carpeted passive loudspeaker

Speaker B:

* 12" woofer

* 11" x 5" double piezo horn

* High-temperature voice coil

* 100 watts RMS trapezoid speaker

* 400 watts peak power

* Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz

* Banana & dual 1/4" input jacks

* 8 ohms impedance

* Recessed side handles

Speaker C:

# 12" woofer for deep bass tones

# 6" x 12" horn for shimmering highs

# Specially voiced internal crossover provides superb separation of frequencies

# Recessed handle

# 1-3/8" polemount

* 100W RMS handling

* 200W peak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

None of the above, they are all classic bullsh*t marketing prose combined with a catagory of components that insures almost without any question (to somebody who is versed in understanding the details) that you will most certainly get screwed by purchasing a less than substandard product.

But Jack, you seem intent on a couple of forums anyway, to press ahead with blind faith in the persuit of the cheapest, most awful products available in the marketplace today. I fail to understand your enthusiasm in providing such poor equipment for your shows. Do you really feel that the old folks in the homes are not deserving of even a little bit better or are they happy to join you in the race to the bottom? You seem to disregard the advice given to you by just about everybody who has answered your questions, and you then continue on with the same old questions hoping to get a different answer.

Frankly, I do not understand your "blinded by the light" approach to this suject.

Every one of those speakers above represent poor quality junk. Don't waste your money, they are worthless IMO.

• Members

None of the above, they are all classic bullsh*t marketing prose combined with a catagory of components that insures almost without any question (to somebody who is versed in understanding the details) that you will most certainly get screwed by purchasing a less than substandard product.

But Jack, you seem intent on a couple of forums anyway, to press ahead with blind faith in the persuit of the cheapest, most awful products available in the marketplace today. I fail to understand your enthusiasm in providing such poor equipment for your shows. Do you really feel that the old folks in the homes are not deserving of even a little bit better or are they happy to join you in the race to the bottom? You seem to disregard the advice given to you by just about everybody who has answered your questions, and you then continue on with the same old questions hoping to get a different answer.

Frankly, I do not understand your "blinded by the light" approach to this suject.

Every one of those speakers above represent poor quality junk. Don't waste your money, they are worthless IMO.

horseguy,

have you ever spent any time in a nursing home? I went to play this saturday and it was raining and cold. The facility I went into had no cover to drive up under to unload. Whenever I encounter that situation, I go in with just my guitar and music and do an 'unplugged' type show. We had one of the best times I've ever had on that day. It's like a prison in those places. My motto is: Dedicated to Serving the Ones Who Are Often Forgotten About.

They truly are thrilled that anyone is willing to take time to come in and spend time with them. I started out with just a guitar and started building as I went. I have a wife and a 16 year old son and we have a budget. Maybe one day I will be able to afford all the top of the line stuff that you and others can afford, but that day is not here, although I'm working toward it. Now, as I said before, I understand part of what you are trying to do and help folks buy equipment that will last longer, sound better, etc, but that's not in the cards for me right now. So when I ask a question, I don't need you and the boys saying the same thing over and over. If you can't give an opinion or help on the specific items I am asking about, then just bypass the post and move on to the next one. I'm just as tired of hearing the same song and dance from you, that you are from me. Capiche?

Jack

• Members

Those all sound beyond awful, even in just text.

Maybe none of those bottom feeder boxes is more expensive than a set of Peavey PRs or a used set of Yamaha clubs?

See my post to the horseguy. Take the advice your momma used to give you and if you don't have anything to nice to say, don't say anything at all.

• Members

See my post to the horseguy. Take the advice your momma used to give you and if you don't have anything to nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Wait -- so you only wanted an affirmative view on the sales verbage you listed for some boxes which are all going to be really, really bad bang for your buck?

That's cool: I'm sure they're all just fine.

• Members

It's not a matter of what our mothers taught us, we will give you our legitimate opinions based on our experience in this industry. Based on the limited, rather meaningless specs you listed, it is doubtful that any of those speakers are high-quality and/or a good value. Soul's recommendation was a good one. He recommended two different lines of "workhorse" speakers that are a good value for the budget conscious. If you ask for opinions around here, you're going to get them, what you choose to do with them is up to you.

• Members

Wait -- so you only wanted an affirmative view on the sales verbage you listed for some boxes which are all going to be really bad bang for your buck?

That's cool: I'm sure they're all just fine.

Of course, and he is acting stone-faced deaf when we suggest options that may not cost any more either, like some good quality used gear as you (and I in the past) have suggested.

All he appears to want is validation and an attaboy for doing it his way. Great that he plays music in a nursing home, no argument there. What I do not understand is why not spend even a couple hundred dollars for ONE quality used speaker that will outperform 2 of the junker boxes and cost just about the same, maybe even less.

In fact, why do you even bother asking the same questions at both forums and getting the same answers, then copping an attitude because you don't like the answers. Maybe you should try to find a "yes man" forum, that way all your "questions" are answered in a way that makes you feel validated and happy with tyour choices. In case you haven't realized, this is not a "yes man" forum.

• Members

you might as well go and get a Fisher-Price MyFirstPA system from toys r us or something. you'll be frustrated buying cheap equipment.

In all seriousness, just go on craigslist and find one good powered speaker like a Tapco Thump or their Mackie equivalent and you'll like the performance way more than any of the ones youve listed...

• Members

I love the product description here:

"12" woofer for deep bass tones

6" x 12" horn for shimmering highs

Specially voiced internal crossover provides superb separation of frequencies"

Honestly I wish I could give you an opinion on these speakers here but I be lying and ashamed of myself. No one is making fun of you for not being able to buy a full Meyer rig we just dont want you to get gypped. I always am looking for a "bang for the buck" item, but like i learned in marketing in community college, you always have to make trade offs. You can buy any of those but chances are they just wont last long at all. I realize the folks in the home might not care about sound quality but you need to remember quality in other areas. If you cant afford a pair of used workhorse speakers (clubs, yorkies, etc.) save up for them. Like you said the "unplugged" set worked well so just do that a bit longer and wait a bit till you get some more money. Like someone on here mentioned in a previous thread. "Buy once, Cry once" and trust me. Ive bought cheap before... I cried when i saw my bank account, cried when i heard the sound quality, cried when all my stuff was broken, cried when i couldnt book any shows, and cried when i looked at my bank account again. See the pattern here?

• Members

Aged is right (horseguy. pretty funny. I'd hate to think of nicknames I'd get). You can tell a LOT from the wording being used. Under specs of a product check and see if a subjective word is being used with a objective word: ex

4x10 horn (ob)for shimmering highs (sub)

Piezo's are awful sounding drivers and I can't think of a situaiton where you'd want to subject those who might not have a choice of being in the room to that sound. When you see the word piezo, move on.

Any horn that is described by the dimension of that horn is crap. 4x10, 6x12 etc. What matters is if the 2 drivers were designed to work together, the size has nothing to do with quality.

"Push putton terminals" No speaker in the pro audio community (vs home stereo/car audio) uses these on a speaker. Banana too. If you see them...

Check for sensitivity. Many acceptible (and some not) average around 97-100db 1w/1m (1 watt produces 97dB of sound 1 meter away). Car audio and home stereo speakers average about 88-91dB. Big difference.

I understand that you're venue is a nursing home and you're on an extreme budget. I've played nursing homes as well (cello, no PA at all). Honestly, your best bet will come from a Kustom PA package at guitar center, 1yr no interest. Place the speakers behind you and rock away. The GC in seattle blew one out for $100 last summer, you could prolly find one on craigslist localy too.

• Members

Just a thought.Since you don't need much in the way of a PA,I looked at MF and searched PA packages priced low to high.There are a few at $199 but since you are also concerned about portability the is an Alesis Transactive Live at $149 which is from just looking the size of a guitar amp with PA style inputs including ipod input.

• Members

horseguy,

have you ever spent any time in a nursing home? I went to play this saturday and it was raining and cold. The facility I went into had no cover to drive up under to unload. Whenever I encounter that situation, I go in with just my guitar and music and do an 'unplugged' type show. We had one of the best times I've ever had on that day. It's like a prison in those places. My motto is: Dedicated to Serving the Ones Who Are Often Forgotten About.

They truly are thrilled that anyone is willing to take time to come in and spend time with them. I started out with just a guitar and started building as I went. I have a wife and a 16 year old son and we have a budget. Maybe one day I will be able to afford all the top of the line stuff that you and others can afford, but that day is not here, although I'm working toward it. Now, as I said before, I understand part of what you are trying to do and help folks buy equipment that will last longer, sound better, etc, but that's not in the cards for me right now. So when I ask a question, I don't need you and the boys saying the same thing over and over. If you can't give an opinion or help on the specific items I am asking about, then just bypass the post and move on to the next one. I'm just as tired of hearing the same song and dance from you, that you are from me. Capiche?

Jack

Must suck to be too lazy to drag in your phonic power-pod PA. I mean what is that 2-3 more trips to the car? :facepalm:

• Members

Based upon the following specs, assuming price was the same, which would be the best bang for the buck for these PA speakers?

Those specs are virtually identical and really say nothing meaningful. How can anyone make a recommendation based on that? I know virtually nothing about live sound compared to the vets around here, but I think I have learned enough from this forum and other means to know that those specs don't really tell me anything that helps answering your question.

A better approach may be to provide these guys with a budget for your system, and based on that budget, someone can respond with your best options. I know you have already made it clear what your application is, and my apologies if you have already provided your budget.

• Members

The Peavey PR series speakers are stoopid cheap and sound "OK" - I'd not look at anything else in that price class (and certainly not below!) except the Yamaha Club series speakers. Those are also fine except I'd rather have light plastic cabs than heavy MDF cabs but YMMV.

• Members

The Peavey PR series speakers are stoopid cheap and sound "OK" - I'd not look at anything else in that price class (and certainly not below!) except the Yamaha Club series speakers. Those are also fine except I'd rather have light plastic cabs than heavy MDF cabs but YMMV.

And... used PR's might be even cheaper than the junker products he is looking at right now. :facepalm:

• Members

It is really unfortunate that you did not listen to your Mother, since you do not have the courtesy to address those that command respect in an appropriate manner.

Although there is a degree of wisdom in your second sentence, quoting one of the fine old pillars of wisdom regarding courtesy, you choose to use it behind an irreverant address.

It appears that courtesy is something that you apply and do not apply as it suits you.

Your Mother would wash your mouth out with soap due to the callous manner that you address your Elders. Or is that one that your Mother forgot to teach you?

You should be ashambed of your somewhat juvenile attemp to provoke, with your name calling of Agedhorse, in a manner that can only be described as thinly disguised contempt.

Where is your temperance and tolerance?

Was turn the other cheek lost on you as well?

I am quite sure that if you were addressed as "jackassjesusfreak" that you would not find it quite so palletable.

Do unto others, and forgivenes appears to be somewhat limited in your way.

There are many of us here who have come to respect those senior members of the forum, who are our GOTO guys.

You will not make any friends here with your condescention.

If you don't like the answers....don't ask.

The truth is not always pleasant, but it is always the truth.

• Members

QUOTE from Soul-X

"Those all sound beyond awful, even in just text.

Maybe none of those bottom feeder boxes is more expensive than a set of Peavey PRs or a used set of Yamaha clubs?"

What's wrong with Soul-X's comment. He offered constructive criticism and gave you much better options within the same relative budget constraints. Members of the forum are trying to prevent you from making an equipment and financial mistake in your selection.

However I do have an old guitar cabinet with the amp head removed and a 2" x 6" Radio Shack piezo tweeter (shinny silver) installed where the head was. Sculptured acoustically transparent foam protects the 12" woofer. Complete with swivel bar stool mounting system permanently attached. ;)

• CMS Author

horseguy,

Jack

Jack, nobody is recommending "top of the line" here, not by a long shot. But Agedhorse is 100% on the mark...you continue to flog the worst of the worst and ask what's the best of it. None of it is worth wasting your money. If you disagree, by all means buy it...any of it. If you're having trouble deciding, just get what's cheapest, since that's all that matters, right?

• Members

Jack, this is an honest question,

Why exactly do you want, or feel you need a "P/A" in the first place? "P/A" is about audience coverage. Are your audiences that big, that you need a "P/A" to reach them? Would it be fair to say that maybe performing through a P/A would have that novelty touch to it, but serves no practical purpose?

If those rooms are reasonably quiet, and you have 40 or so people to cover , you could easily cover that group with just a small acoustic combo-amp. All you'd need is a mic, a cable, a mic-stand and your combo-amp. Otherwise, you could substitute a single powered P/A speaker for the combo-amp, and add a speaker-stand if need be. You probably wouldn't even need a stand for that application.

In all sincerity Jack, those speaker specs you listed, truly are meaningless. There are no "specs" there, that serve a useful purpose (to inform you of the sonic capabilities). All you have there, is an elementary description of components. Unfortunately, there is nothing appealing whatsoever about those speakers. Are any of them even "powered"? Do they have an onboard mixer? Are you going to have to buy an amp? a mixer? Are you going to need EQ? What's the point, if you can get all of those features in a single inexpensive powered loudspeaker? A small 2-channel acoustic combo-amp, would probably even have reverb.

Jack, folks here just don't want to see you throwing your money away on "junk" speakers that will disappoint in the long run. There is obviously no "value" there.

Just remember the words "sound reinforcement". If you're getting by reasonably well without a P/A as it currently stands, just how much more "boost" do you really need?

Stay away from piezo tweeters Jack. Your vocals will be important, so get a decent mic and cable. too. You certainly don't want to be fighting feedback constantly, and destroying your speaker(s).

Good luck,

Bob

• Members

What he said...expecting someone here to endorse cheap cr@p is laughable. I though you were already using an acoustic amp or two for you vocals anyway. If you "must" buy junk PA, buy...but don't bother opening another 15 threads about which junk sounds better. I doubt anyone here would use it at a gig if it were FREE.

• Members

It is really unfortunate that you did not listen to your Mother, since you do not have the courtesy to address those that command respect in an appropriate manner.

Although there is a degree of wisdom in your second sentence, quoting one of the fine old pillars of wisdom regarding courtesy, you choose to use it behind an irreverant address.

It appears that courtesy is something that you apply and do not apply as it suits you.

Your Mother would wash your mouth out with soap due to the callous manner that you address your Elders. Or is that one that your Mother forgot to teach you?

You should be ashambed of your somewhat juvenile attemp to provoke, with your name calling of Agedhorse, in a manner that can only be described as thinly disguised contemp.

Where is your temperance and tolerance?

Was turn the other cheek lost on you as well?

I am quite sure that if you were addressed as "jackassjesusfreak" that you would not find it quite so pallatable.

Do unto others, and forgivenes appears to be somewhat limited in your way.

There are many of us here who have come to respect those senior members of the forum, who are our GOTO guys.

You will not make any friends here with your condescention.

If you don't like the answers....don't ask.

The truth is not always pleasant, but it is always the truth.

I've been here before looking for help. I am asking for help, not ridicule because I can't afford top of the line. If you think speaker a and speaker b are junk, i already have learned that in here. just by pass my post. I don't need to hear it again and again. I was just asking someone who may also not be able to afford top of the line and who has purchased one or the other what their opinion is. That's the help I'm seeking. If you can't add to that then don't waste your time and typing skills to ridicule me. That's all I'm saying. I don't want to buy used because at least with new (even the 'junk') I get a minimum 1 year warranty. With used it could quit working the next day. In a year, I might be able to afford top of the line, but i need something now and I'm not going to waste money renting.

Jack

You will not make any friends with your condensation. I know that you would never buy these brands and that's all you need to say. A little taste of your own condensation was being giving out in small doses. I do respect my elders and love even my enemies. I'm 56 years old and don't need to be criticized by someone who's never walked in my shoes

• Members

Speaker A:

* 12" Woofer

* 10" x 4" horn

* (3) 3" Piezo tweeters

* 100W RMS

* 400 watts peak power

* Frequency response: 50 Hz to 20 kHz

* Push button connectors & dual 1/4" input jacks

* 8 ohms impedance

* Recessed side handles

Speaker B:

* 12" woofer

* 11" x 5" double piezo horn

* High-temperature voice coil

* 100 watts RMS trapezoid speaker

* 400 watts peak power

* Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz

* Banana & dual 1/4" input jacks

* 8 ohms impedance

* Recessed side handles

Speaker C:

# 12" woofer for deep bass tones

# 6" x 12" horn for shimmering highs

# Specially voiced internal crossover provides superb separation of frequencies

# Recessed handle

# 1-3/8" polemount

* 100W RMS handling

* 200W peak

I dont know if you have ever listed a budget, but if your on the cheap movement I would look at used items like on craigslist. Stay away from the stuff listed above. You can also try (gasp) Carvin and Behringer. I know of a church that has a set of Behringer powered tops and three years later there still running.

I do like what Bobby said above, using a single acoustic guitar amp that has dual channels should work fine for you.

• Members

Sounds an a lot like the truth to me.

Archived