Keys players...

• Members

A friend of mine is looking into playing Keys in a pop/Rock band.

Any recomendations on good quality/affordable Keys/Synth rigs around?

Not looking for the biggest/best thing ever - but also dont want to end up with something that sounds like a kids toy.

I myself dont know anything about keyboards - but i know there's quite a few keys players around these parts playing in the type of bands that we will be.

Songs will be anything from Piano Man and Rebel Yell through to things like Shake Your Tailfeather, Hip to be Square, Walking on Sunshine, Greased Lightning etc.

• Members

You know there's a keyboard forum, right?

I'm a guitar player who used to play keys and guitar in the band. I used a Roland Juno-D, which is a basic entry-level performance board, a Roland VK-8M for convincing B3 sounds and a Traynor K4 amp. Worked pretty well for me.

• Members

Based on the projected song list, looks like you'll need a variety of voices--from acoustic piano to B3, synths, etc. The Korg is a good choice, and I've heard great things about the Yamaha S90XS, which is the most recent upgrade on the S series of synthesizers. There's also a 73 key version. The Roland GX series is also popular, though I'm not familiar with it. There is a wealth of info in the keyboard forum...

• Members
There's also a 73 key version.

As an occasional bass player I tend to push keyboard players into the shorter boards so's I don't have to get out the chainsaw and hack off somethin' when that left hand starts invading my turf :lol:. Plus, two shorter keyboards are more versatile and transportable than one big one :cool:. The keyboardist in the band I mostly work with has a Triton LE :love: and a Walmart class Yamaha :facepalm:. Both actually sound OK but the Triton is definitely two or three classes above the Yammy toy. Also the Yammy is kinda noisy and I have to gate it :mad:. But I have to say the $150 keyboards are pretty much as good as anything we had in the 70's - if that's all you can afford they can do classic rock OK.

• Members

As an occasional bass player I tend to push keyboard players into the shorter boards so's I don't have to get out the chainsaw and hack off somethin' when that left hand starts invading my turf
:lol:
. Plus, two shorter keyboards are more versatile and transportable than one big one
:cool:
. The keyboardist in the band I mostly work with has a Triton LE
:love:
and a Walmart class Yamaha
:facepalm:
. Both actually sound OK but the Triton is definitely two or three classes above the Yammy toy. Also the Yammy is kinda noisy and I have to gate it
:mad:
. But I have to say the $150 keyboards are pretty much as good as anything we had in the 70's - if that's all you can afford they can do classic rock OK.

My last keyboard player, much to my objection, bought two 88 key weighted keys. Both in the case weighed about 100lbs each and took up way to much stage real estate. They were a Kurzweil k2600 and a Roland Fantom. If we were playing arena's I wouldn't give a crap, BUT we play some small stages (read corner of the bar) and real estate is a premium. I'm for the shortest keyboard that is possible and still functional.

• Members

My last keyboard player, much to my objection, bought two 88 key weighted keys.
Both in the case weighed about 100lbs each and took up way to much stage real estate. They were a Kurzweil k2600 and a Roland Fantom. If we were playing arena's I wouldn't give a crap, BUT we play some small stages (read corner of the bar) and real estate is a premium. I'm for the shortest keyboard that is possible and still functional.

As a keyboard player ,,,, I play what i want to play. While i agree space on stage can be tight. I am not going to play a board I dont like because another guy who doesnt play the instrument, doesnt like it. They can get another keyboard player. Good luck with that.

• Members
As a keyboard player ,,,, I play what i want to play. While i agree space on stage can be tight. I am not going to play a board I dont like because another guy who doesnt play the instrument, doesnt like it. They can get another keyboard player. Good luck with that.

... or get out the chainsaw :evil:.

• Members

I agree with the comment about playing an instrument that best suits the musician...up to a point.

When one person affects three other people, as in our band, I think shows a lack of consideration. Our keyboardist consumes just a bit less than the space used by the drummer, bassist and guitarist, combined.

If our keyboardist would turn his keyboards 45 to 90 degrees, he would give everyone a lot more room on stage. His keyboards are at least 88 keys and he sets up, facing the crowd, towards the front of the stage. Therefore, he consumes that width all the way front-to-back in his area of the stage. Then, he has his keyboard amp that blasts him in one ear. It extends the width of his area another 24".

If he would go with smaller monitors, or IEMs, he would save about 10+ sq ft on stage.

The bassist and I have gone ampless just so we have more room, for ourselves. We didn't open up our stage space just so the keyboardist could have more room for his rig.

Damnit. Now, I'm pissed. :mad:

• Members

I agree with the comment about playing an instrument that best suits the musician...up to a point.

When one person affects three other people, as in our band, I think shows a lack of consideration. Our keyboardist consumes just a bit less than the space used by the drummer, bassist and guitarist, combined.

If our keyboardist would turn his keyboards 45 to 90 degrees, he would give everyone a lot more room on stage. His keyboards are at least 88 keys and he sets up, facing the crowd, towards the front of the stage. Therefore, he consumes that width all the way front-to-back in his area of the stage. Then, he has his keyboard amp that blasts him in one ear. It extends the width of his area another 24".

If he would go with smaller monitors, or IEMs, he would save about 10+ sq ft on stage.

The bassist and I have gone ampless just so we have more room, for ourselves. We didn't open up our stage space just so the keyboardist could have more room for his rig.

Damnit. Now, I'm pissed.
:mad:

I dont care where a band puts me on the stage. I play a single 88 stage piano. If that wont work for a band. They are free to do what they want without me.

• Members

I dont care where a band puts me on the stage. I play a single 88 stage piano. If that wont work for a band. They are free to do what they want without me.

Yeah it sounds to me like the problem isnt that the keys player uses an 88 key rig - it's that he's an ass.

He needs to pay some attention to how and where he sets up on stage so all members can have a decent amount of room. At least have a chat to him about it - maybe he doesnt even realise its an issue.

(edit - Rhat - that wasn't directed at you - i was just agreeing with your sentiment and then making my own point seperately).

• Members

Yeah it sounds to me like the problem isnt that the keys player uses an 88 key rig - it's that he's an ass.

He needs to pay some attention to how and where he sets up on stage so all members can have a decent amount of room. At least have a chat to him about it - maybe he doesnt even realise its an issue.

(edit - Rhat - that wasn't directed at you - i was just agreeing with your sentiment and then making my own point seperately).

Yea ,, if the guy wont flex where he sets up its an issue they need to work out. The stage I play on every week with a 5 piece is tiny. We are packed in like sardines. My back is against the wall,, the guitar players is standing right in front of me. I am happy if he doesnt load up on mexican food lol. peeeeeeeeeeew

• Members

You know there's a keyboard forum, right?

I'm a guitar player who used to play keys and guitar in the band. I used a Roland Juno-D, which is a basic entry-level performance board, a Roland VK-8M for convincing B3 sounds and a Traynor K4 amp. Worked pretty well for me.

Yes. It's posted over there now. Thanks. No replies tho.

• Members

Budget??? Nord Electro 3 73. That thing has a great B3 and organ emulations and the Piano's are now much better than the older Electro 2. Another good suggestion for a more piano based rig is Yamaha's MO series or the MM series. I prefer Yamaha's pianos patches over most other brands but that may just be my ears.

• Members

Budget doesnt really apply because i'm in Australia and prices between us are WAY different.

I THINK we've decided on the Yamaha MM6. It's an entry level rig - but it should suit us for now. If we need something else in the future - we can always add to it.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Members

If the keyboard player is also the "front" doing most of the singing and mic work then this makes sense. Otherwise you've got a valid beef.

I've been on both sides of this one. If I'm carrying most of that type of load on a gig I'll try to position myself where I can be the most effective. If I'm hired as a sideman - well I know my place on those gigs too. ;)

I THINK we've decided on the Yamaha MM6. It's an entry level rig - but it should suit us for now. If we need something else in the future - we can always add to it.

I don't know what's available to you in Australia, but I'd strongly suggest that you look for a used Yamaha Motif 6 or ES6 instead. These are pro quality boards that are built rock solid and even though they are not new will outlast that toy MiniMo. A Motif 6 shouldn't cost you any more - the newer ES6 might cost a little more. The MM6 is based on the older Motif 6 but the Motif has more waveform ROM and twice the polyphony. The ES6 has even more ROM and four times the polyphony.

• Members

I don't know what's available to you in Australia, but I'd strongly suggest that you look for a used Yamaha Motif 6 or ES6 instead. These are pro quality boards that are built rock solid and even though they are not new will outlast that toy MiniMo. A Motif 6 shouldn't cost you any more - the newer ES6 might cost a little more. The MM6 is based on the older Motif 6 but the Motif has more waveform ROM and twice the polyphony. The ES6 has even more ROM and four times the polyphony.

An ebay search shows nothing at all. Not one match.

Actually - i tell a lie - there is ONE match. But it's over $800 and shows no signs of slowing down. Seeing as new they were over $5000 out here - i wouldnt be at all suprised if it sells for around $1500-$2000.

• Members

Yeah we here in the States are so spoiled. Here's just one of several listings for Motifs in my local Craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/1548282934.html

And actually that price is kind of high. If I actually wanted this board I could probably talk him down a hundred or two. Used gear is that plentiful over here. I didn't know about Australia but I'm sorry that it's not the same for you down there.

• Members

Yeah we here in the States are so spoiled. Here's just one of several listings for Motifs in my local Craigslist:

And actually that price is kind of high. If I actually wanted this board I could probably talk him down a hundred or two. Used gear is that plentiful over here. I didn't know about Australia but I'm sorry that it's not the same for you down there.

Some things are cheaper because of where they are made.

Like - we can get Edwards guitars and some ESP's from Japan MUCH cheaper than the US.

Other thing like Mesa amps are REALLY REALLY overpriced down here. ($8000AUD for a Mesa Roadking guitar amp). PUHLEASE!

I ordered a new Yamaha MM6 for $769 with an extended warranty. That will do us for the time being - the band hasnt actually played together as a group yet. If we need more down the track - we're quite happy to pay a bit extra for a more "high end" piece of equipment.

Archived