Who is building the top live sound consoles?

• Members

I think the top three right now are Yamaha, Digidesign, and Digico. For pro-level boards the party starts around $50,000 US.

Yeah, pretty much. The Yamaha PM5D is a common console to see on tours because it is affordable. Digico D5 and Digidesign Venue and Profile are popular consoles but more expensive. Most people I talk to feel Midas H3000 is king of analog.

Dennis

• Members

Midas is a gamble since they were acquired by B*******r.

Oh, the public release said nothing will change? Yeah they said that when Fender and Gibson was bought out in 1965, when Mackie was bought out, when Lexicon was bought out...

Color me skeptical because a company renowned for plagiarizing other competitor products using asian slave labor acquires a respected console company.

• CMS Author

Midas is a gamble since they were acquired by B*******r.

Oh, the public release said nothing will change? Yeah they said that when Fender and Gibson was bought out in 1965, when Mackie was bought out, when Lexicon was bought out...

Color me skeptical because a company renowned for plagiarizing other competitor products using asian slave labor acquires a respected console company.

There has never been a corporate buyout without major changes, layoffs, cutbacks and problems. Ever.

• Members

Soundcraft Vi-6?

Frankly, it's all personal preference at that level.

Anybody remember Innovason?

That board is amazing!

I was at a pro audio demo where I was given a hands on demo on it, I was easily confused after just a few seconds but it was easy to see how fantastic that board would be to work on out on tour.

• Members

For analog consoles, APB :

Love these guys, but they're not at the top. Never seen one on a rider, never seen one on tour. They probably should have concentrated on a digital product first. Great consoles though. Love their EQ section. We had a Spectra for a while. We still use a few of the ProRacks.

In my mind Yamaha and Digidesign are at the top of the heap for digital and digital is the way most tours and large sound co.'s seem to have gone. Especially the PM5D - it's become the new standard in my mind. Digicos are up there too, but they're nowhere near as prevalent as the two I mentioned. Midas is still at the top of the heap for analog consoles, with Soundcraft and Yamaha just behind them. Our Heritage 3K still goes out on shows pretty constantly. We'll see what happens with the sale to B********. More and more though, the smaller digital boards seem to have become the thing. Tour guys like them because they don't take up much truck/trailer/under the bus space. Venues like them because they don't have to kill seats or provide 6 stagehands just to get the console in place. Sound Co.'s like them because they're cheap and don't take up much warehouse and truck space. Everybody wins.

• Members

There has never been a corporate buyout without major changes, layoffs, cutbacks and problems. Ever.

Wadda you mean, my company was bought out by a big company and everything stayed the same or got better; oh, wait I forgot,:mad: they shut us down and I'm getting laid off in April. Maybe you're right:)

• Members

More and more though, the smaller digital boards seem to have become the thing. Tour guys like them because they don't take up much truck/trailer/under the bus space. Venues like them because they don't have to kill seats or provide 6 stagehands just to get the console in place. Sound Co.'s like them because they're cheap and don't take up much warehouse and truck space. Everybody wins.

I have a Yamaha PM3500 that still gets used for monitors from time to time and the console with the power supplies weighs in at around 800lbs...:lol:

• Members

Our pro boards that we carry can get rented out are:

Digi Profile

Yamaha PM5D-RH

Midas H3000-56

Yamaha M7CL-48 - (Most bang for the buck)

Other boards that we have that went out for individual bands on tour.

Yamaha LS9-16 & 32

Allen & Heath GL2400-32

Yamaha 01v96 + 8 channel mic pre

Allen Heath MixWiz (16ch FOH & Mon mixer)

We are adding a Digi SC48 to our inventory.

Archived