Question about Crown Amps

• Members

Which amp is ideal for running subs? (within reason). I am thinking about upgrading my single SP118 Subs to the SP218 subs. The 118's are great for fairly small venues, but you get larger rooms, the bass seems to die off somewhat, as one would expect. They will handle 2400 watts program 4800 watts peak. I've got the (2) CE2000 bridged mono that I will use for each sub, but in the future I'd like to upgrade. Any suggestions on amps? The I-TECH series are a TAAAAAAD outa my budget range. I don't mind older amps as suggestions either.

• Members

So, you're gonna run 2kw into each SP218 and want to upgrade from there? You don't really need to - 2kw is plenty to mess them up real good :lol:. What are you running your present SP118's from?

BTW a good amp for the SP218's is a QSC RMX4050HD which would put 1300W into each cab.

• Members

Crown K-Series, when it comes to powering subs, the higher the damping factor the better. You can find used K2's on ebay for a good price. I use them on my JBL SRX's and they sound very good. For example....You can hear the low end difference between a K2(3000 damping factor) and a RMX2450(300 damping factor I believe) I was really shocked at the difference it made.

• CMS Author

Crown K-Series, when it comes to powering subs, the higher the damping factor the better. You can find used K2's on ebay for a good price. I use them on my JBL SRX's and they sound very good. For example....You can hear the low end difference between a K2(3000 damping factor) and a RMX2450(300 damping factor I believe) I was really shocked at the difference it made.

While there may be a difference in what you're hearing, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the damping factor, unless you're running hundreds of feet of speaker cable to these subs. 300 is way more than sufficient.

• Members

While there may be a difference in what you're hearing, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the damping factor, unless you're running hundreds of feet of speaker cable to these subs. 300 is way more than sufficient.

I would agree that 300 DF is sufficient for mids&highs....

• Members

The amp's damping factor has nothing to do with what you are hearing. As soon as you throw the DCR of the voice coil (the part that represents the overhang) which is in series with the active part of the motor, plus a little speaker wire, you have just reduced your effective damping factor to

But the marketing folks would like you to believe otherwise ;)

• Members

So, you're gonna run 2kw into each SP218 and want to upgrade from there? You don't really need to - 2kw is plenty to mess them up real good
:lol:
. What are you running your present SP118's from?

BTW a good amp for the SP218's is a QSC RMX4050HD which would put 1300W into each cab.

Right now I'm running a single CE2000 to each sp118. 1320 watts to each sub. This past Sunday they were HAMMERING. But, like I said before, when you get into a room with lots of cubic feet of air, 2 18's aren't enough. I'm thinking 1.95kw of power to a 2 18 cab should be sufficient. I want something that will hit you in the chest like a sledge hammer LOL!

As far as the HPF goes I am running a Samson 3way stereo 4way mono x-over. Lots of helpful little tools on that unit. I like it alot actually. I am running it in a 2 way configuration ATM. If I had my choice I would run it 3 way, but with the number of amps that I have ATM kinda prevent that. In time I will migrate to a setup like that, but the biggest goal right now is to take full advantage of my amps.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming. I like lots of ideas!

• Members

You are headed down the road to disappointment. You are so far into power compression already that all you are doinmg is cumulative mechanical damage to your drivers. You will continue to do the same until youget enough speakers for your needs... power is secondary.

Also, 12kW to 4 x 218's is not a good idea for exactly the same reasons. But, to each his own.

• Members

You are headed down the road to disappointment. You are so far into power compression already that all you are doinmg is cumulative mechanical damage to your drivers. You will continue to do the same until youget enough speakers for your needs... power is secondary.

Also, 12kW to 4 x 218's is not a good idea for exactly the same reasons. But, to each his own.

Who?

• CMS Author

Who?

You and Coaster, I believe. If you're bridging that CE2000 into an SP-118 right now, you're putting 1300w into a 600 watt driver. If you don't have HPF set and you're pushing them, it's only a matter of time before you're looking for some new Pro Riders.

Applying power is not linear. Meaning that double the power does not get you double the volume. And after a certain point, you don't get more volume at all. The concept is known as power compression, and it works just like the compression we were discussing in the other thread. As the speaker reaches a certain threshold, output gains drop dramatically, and the speaker wears out mechanically...the spider loosens, the cone deforms, the pleats wear. The speaker will fail.

Point being that you need more speaker, and you need to power the speakers conservatively and carefully if you don't wan tto invest in replacements within the year.

Archived