Best powered speaker

• Members

I already have a full gig PA, but I just purchased a TC-Helicon Harmony-G XT which I intend to put together a coffee shop gig rig (just me, the Harmony g, my Taylor, a microphone and a speaker).

I may occasionally play to a medium size crowd, but anything bigger than that, and I would bring out the big guns ;)

I was thinking that a single speaker would be enough (if it was a good enough speaker). I am looking for good vocal clarity, and warm lows for the acoustic guitar and the bottom end of my voice.

I think I need some kind of volume control on the speaker (I will have to see if the Harmony g can do this for me with some output level, but I suspect that it can't). It may be nice to control the cross-over point and have some amount of eq on the speaker since there isn't going to be a mixer involved (mix the guitar and vocals on the harmony g).

I am looking for the rig to be easy (since I already have complicated), but to have high quality.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know a duo that runs a single power eon 15. They do use a little mixer with FX. They run two mics, a 12 string, and mic a set of congas and a steel drum. It works fine for them. The eons are pretty bullet proof. These guys have been running them down here on the island outside in the salt air for years.

• Members

LOL.... "Best Powered Speaker" yet no mention of what your price range is.

If you're looking high end, and looking at speakers ranging from $4000+ each:

JBL VP Series

Turbosound TQ445DP

RCF TT Series

Mid-Hi End -- ~$2000

JBL VRX932LAP

RCF 4PRO

Yorkville U15P

Mid-Range

QSC HPR153 / 152 / 122

JBL PRX

RCF ART

Bargain Basement

JBL EON

Behringer

Mackie Thump

• Members

I just got a pair of QSC's K12 active cabinets and I really like 'em !! :thu: I've put keyboards, vocals and acousti-electric guitar thru them, all sound great to me.

The K12's are powerful, clean sound, yet silent - I've had the JBL EONG2 15's for almost 8 yrs. and always liked their sound, although they're just a tad bit harsh in the horn and kind of hissy. The K12's have absolutely no hiss when you turn them on, even w/gain all the way up - are warmer than the EONs and they sound very full for a 12" speaker. :cool:

• Members

Thank you all for the information.

I was looking to spend around 1K or less for a single speaker (If I need more than one, I could always bring my power amps and Klipsch 302 speakers which would be WAY more than any coffee house gig would ever need.

I see the Yorkie 15", what about their NX 12"?

I am in the process of looking up each of the suggestions here so I can compare the features and specs (and price of course).

• Members

Another nice speaker.

Thanks for the vote Aged.

We installed KV2 Audio's ES series of speakers in the National Geographic Society's, Washington, DC Museum's auditorium two years ago. It's the same speaker as the EX (active) series only in a passive set of cabinets with a dedicated amplifier/DSP power system. They are extremely happy.

Although not as well known in the U.S. as the major brands, anytime I've demo'ed them for a client, I see a smile appear on the clients face, the only question is if they can afford them. Most of my corporate events are done using a pair of the EX-10's, 10" 2-ways and if needed an EX 2.2 subwoofer if called for and the system hardly brakes a sweat.

• Members

For $1000 you can get an FBT HiMaxx 40a. Robust mixer section that included RCA input that you could use with an mp3 player for break music, and also has a 3 band EQ, 39.5 lbs. Would make one heck of a monitor in a bigger PA setup too.

• Members

Bill, are you going to NAMM this year?

Nope, I'm a one man shop. Taking a couple days off would stop my income flow and in this business climate that's not something I can do. I'm also backed up on installs at the moment which I'm very thankful for and have events under contract into 2014.

• Members

BTW, here's a link to the event we're under contract for through 2014. We do a three camera live video shoot/recording, lighting, public address/background music, video projection, three 42" flat screen monitors and power distribution.

The Holly Ball has been presented for the last 114 years, we've done it for the last six.

http://www.rrecord.com/vid-1-7-10_Holly-Ball.asp

Archived