Help For A Guitarist - Plugging Direct Into A PA

• Members

Hi all,

I tried the search function, and didn't get any results, so, as I've been able to get some great help from this forum in the past, I thought I'd ask for some help with a problem that I'm trying to work out @ the moment....

For starters, I own and run the PA in the band that I am currently playing in and have started to book some full-band shows in a small-ish venue - playing once or twice a month on a Sunday afternoon (which is a nice add-on to my usual 3-4 nights per week).

The thing is, the set up space is small, and I'm trying to think of ways to minimize my band's footprint (not to mention, saving set up time for me !!!!!). Ideally, I'm looking for options so that I can just plug my Les Paul straight into a live, regular mixer and still get decent guitar sounds. I've tried a POD in the past (the original "kidney bean" type) and it was ok, but nothing like my usual setup (50W all-valve amp, stomp boxes in line and through the effects loop).

So, I was wondering if anyone has successfully seen or used a set up that sounds convincing and if so, what type of equipment is needed.

FWEIW, I'm not really expecting to be able to totally replace the sound of my amp (which is pretty much set in an overdriven bluesy tone), but I'm hoping to get a more-authentic sound than that of the 1st generation POD - plus, going amp-less would definately be a lot easier for me to fit in the space that we are allocated to play in (eg : for these shows, I have even just started using only 1/2 of my main FOH setup - one speaker and one sub, with 1 monitor.... and it's pretty much perfect for the venue).

Budget would be up to around $350 - maybe a bit more if justified. Ideally, something simple would be better, as even though I know a fair bit about deep editing etc...., I just want to be able to tweak a few settings, and then go.

Thanks in advance for any help / ideas.

• Members

At the price point you're looking at pick up a used POD XT Live unit. They have some great sounds and are very useable & tweakable. I plan on replacing my early 90's Chameleon with one sometime soon. The XT Live is nothing like the kidney POD that you had before IMO. It's a much better unit and I'll bet you'd be happy with it. Then just run it direct.

• Members

I disagree. The PODxt and newer blow the Tonelab away. POD 1.0 and POD 2.0 are not very good. The PODxt Pro or better yet, the PODxt Live are the best units on the market right now, in my opinion. You do not need a DI box between the PODxt Pro or Live and mixer, it is built in.

• Members

The guitarist in one of the bands that I work for in some clubs just brings in his normal pedal board that he uses and just plug it into a passive DI to the board.

I give him his guitar through his vocal monitor, works out great for clubs where space is at a premium.

This clip is one where there is no guitar or bass rig on stage:

• Members

I disagree. The PODxt and newer blow the Tonelab away. POD 1.0 and POD 2.0 are not very good. The PODxt Pro or better yet, the PODxt Live are the best units on the market right now, in my opinion. You do not need a DI box between the PODxt Pro or Live and mixer, it is built in.

Both the units mentioned are way over the budget mentioned. And the footprint is not exactly small. With the xt pro you would need to add a pedal board as well.

If you want small, plug and play, killer tone, for $350?

Tonelab it is!

• Members

The PODxt Live can be had for around $350 or so. Same price as the LE. It is true that the Pro is probably out of range because you do probably need the floorboard to use it to it's potential. I still prefer the xt Live over the LE and in the states, they both run about the same price.

• Members

Both the units mentioned are way over the budget mentioned. And the footprint is not exactly small. With the xt pro you would need to add a pedal board as well.

If you want small, plug and play, killer tone, for $350?

Tonelab it is!

Here's a quick search of POD XT Live got me through this search engine. http://www.craigzoom.com/

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1549642366.html

$250

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1547895926.html

$250

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/1550315008.html

$250

A ton of them come up all over the US using that search engine. The 3 I posted above are just the first 3 on the list. For $250 it's a damn good deal.

• Members

as bad of an overdrive tone as you'll ever find. I'm with the Tonelab guys, without a doubt.

But what do you really mean:)

I've heard some great players getting some great tones out of these so it's all personal perspective I guess.

My suggestion was a bit in tongue in cheek, as the OP didn't seem to want anything that wasn't large, or anything that wasn't organic.

Most of the good players I know own a Blues Jr. and use them for practice and small gigs. Put a pedal in front, and you're good to go. Some guys throw a JBL in, seems like a bit too much trouble though.

But of course a Dumble... would kick their butt.

• Members

I've been using the Digitech RP1000 with great success at church through the PA. When I listen to it in the recordings it sounds like a real amp for the most part. I own a Rivera Slavemaster and Mesa Stiletto Ace and have been playing 30 + years so I know what good tone sounds like. I have mine set up where it sounds like a Fender Twin, Fender Bassman, AC30, Marshall, Mark IV, and Triple Rec at times. All sound pretty good and there are a lot more choices. Lots of effects too and good overdrive and distortion tones. Almost forgot, it has stereo XLR outputs so you don't have to buy direct boxes. My stereo delay sounds excellent through it. Sometimes I use the panner function and look at the congregation and they're looking back and forth at the speakers. Sort of funny. Usually the younger guitarists though...lol. It's very simple to program too.

• Members

The POD or tonelab will do the job but be prepared to do some real tweaking. I suspect also, a weaker guitarist will lose more than a good guitarist: i know lots of guitarists who use those products, the good ones tend to get a great tone, but weaker guitarists, or acoustic guitarists who try to play electric on one song tend to sound not so great.

For myself, as a pretty sub-average guitarist, i get a way better tone out of even a cheap tube amp than i did from my POD.

From my experience, i'd steer away from boss products for this purpose (i note no one has recommended them anyway).

• Members

I've been using the Digitech RP1000 with great success at church through the PA. When I listen to it in the recordings it sounds like a real amp for the most part. I own a Rivera Slavemaster and Mesa Stiletto Ace and have been playing 30 + years so I know what good tone sounds like. I have mine set up where it sounds like a Fender Twin, Fender Bassman, AC30, Marshall, Mark IV, and Triple Rec at times. All sound pretty good and there are a lot more choices. Lots of effects too and good overdrive and distortion tones. Almost forgot, it has stereo XLR outputs so you don't have to buy direct boxes. My stereo delay sounds excellent through it. Sometimes I use the panner function and look at the congregation and they're looking back and forth at the speakers. Sort of funny. Usually the younger guitarists though...lol. It's very simple to program too.

+1 for the RP1000

I bought one for my son and the sound on that is awesome.

I, myself, have a GSP1101. It is a more-powerful, rack version of the RP1000, basically.

RP1000 is $350 on Pro Guitar Shop's site.

GSP1101 is $400. However, it is best-utilized with their Control 2 footswitch which runs $250.

I love my GSP for full gigs. For practices and Tuesday-night open jam sessions, I wish I had an RP1000 or RP500 for the portability.

• Members

If the modeling boxes could actually model a tube amp, no one would buy or play through tube amps. In my experience, if you're used to the voicing and dynamics of a tube amp, nothing else will be acceptable. The Tone Lab and Pod can get close, but they sound digital and have other problems. The best thing you can do to decrease your footprint is to get a small, low wattage 1x12 combo amp (I use a 5/16W one that I run cranked and it sounds great) and consider losing some of your pedals (I'm down to a tuner, an overdrive, a booster, and a wah) in order to use a smaller pedal board.

• Members

Thanks Picker - I agree, and are looking into everything @ the moment. From what I've seen so far, the modellers just aren't really doing it for me (still just too synthetic for my taste), so, I'm going to look into things a little bit more.

The thing is, if I'm going to lug any amp, I might as well save my $$ and just keep using my own - which I know and love ! - and then ditch my pedal board - and maybe run only a tuner.

That's why I used the POD as an experiment, as I could just set it up next to the PA and run my guitar cable straight into it - thereby eliminating the usual mass of cables associated with a pedalboard (well, mine anyway - what with the send / return cables, input cable, 2 x power cords (I have to run a separate one for my Deluxe Memory Man delay) etc....).

But anyway, thanks again for the input, and your suggestion is well received.

• Members

If the modeling boxes could actually model a tube amp, no one would buy or play through tube amps. In my experience, if you're used to the voicing and dynamics of a tube amp, nothing else will be acceptable. The Tone Lab and Pod can get close, but they sound digital and have other problems. The best thing you can do to decrease your footprint is to get a small, low wattage 1x12 combo amp (I use a 5/16W one that I run cranked and it sounds great) and consider losing some of your pedals (I'm down to a tuner, an overdrive, a booster, and a wah) in order to use a smaller pedal board.

...and LPs sound so much better then CDs... Beta has better resolution then VHS... The times are a changin'...

I used to think the same way but over the years I realized that while I stayed "true" to my sound, the people paying us couldn't give a rat's ass what gear we used. Most people can't tell that we are now emulated at all. It took some time and tweaking, knowing which combinations work and which combinations dont, but we sound better then ever. Best part is our set up time went from 2 to 3 hours down to less then 30 minutes. No more lugging my SVT refrigerator (I loved the sound but my back was taking some serious abuse), our huge HDH system or extra racks of gear. I understand the mentality of "I can only get my sound through a Marshall half stack at full volume" but I grew up a few years ago. My PODxt Pro has done things for my sound that no amp/FX rack could.

Emulation isn't for everyone but it has come a long way. Bringing in a system that completely fits in my wife's Quest and easily handles 300 people is much better then the 2 vans and 10' box truck we used to use. We will never go back to amps.

• CMS Author

Of all the musicians i've known over the years, none need a lesson in "what's good enough" more than guitarists. Being fussy is one thing. Going to the extents that I see so many guitarist go for "their tone", which NOBODY else can hear, or cares about, is quite another.

Another point is that even if the argument is given that "it matters to me", the fact still remains that you're playing to a paying audience. Give them what they want and care about....show up on time, play at an appropriate level (of skill and volume), play songs they want to hear, and then END IT. Nothing more is expected. If you aren't a rock star, then kindly remember that you're not a rock star.

In the bedroom, fuss over your tone. In the studio Ab-so-{censored}ing-lutely fuss over your tone. At Jack's Dew-Drop-Inn, just plug in and play.

• Members

Thats the other side to it: I've worked with guitarists who won't play in a garage without their cranked tube amp drowning everyone else out. Their tone may well be good, but the band doesnt actually sound its best. People are there to hear the whole band, not the lead guitarist.

Archived