Is there any reason at all not to use powered Speakers?

• Members

the new 515 eons are so light that i am afraid to put them on tripods in any kind of wind (i'm serious). i about threw one through the ceiling the first time i picked it up (again, serious).

so other than that and wedges, not really.

• Members

Can't you loom power and signal together? Shouldn't be a problem with a good quality cable.

I tried that once, but the {censored} reminds me of bundled feeder cable and it's extremely disturbing....

hate... feeder... so... much...

I personally see advantages and disadvantages to either setup, and IME the differences in usage and transport aren't enough to give a clear winner of the two.

I prefer passive rigs, though.

• Members

I was thinking about how convenient it is to have powered speakers. No more guessing about which power amp to use or whether the amp is underpowered or overpowered for the speaker.

Is there any logical reason not to use powered speaker? I cant think of any now.

You covered the pros (and I agree with them for the most part). Yes there are several logical reasons NOT to use powered speakers. Here are the cons:

1) As previously mentioned, sending two cables to each box (yes you can bundle them to a point but their sources are different (if you're running multiple speakers with the same signal, you must provide an AC feed to each speaker as well)). A lot of speakers (as mentioned in a multi monitor stage) can make the AC distribution a serious challenge (think 16 speakers & 12 mixes).

2) Although the Eon's are light, not all powered speakers are. Speakers are getting lighter as are amplifiers so this is becoming less of a problem with time but still why have any more weight up in the air than is necessary? In a multi array clusters (be they line array or splayed array), once again geting adequate power up to your hang is an extra chore (sure lighting guys do it but have you tried to lift some of the harnesses going up to a lighting truss? (this is why more efficient lights, optics & LED's are the way of the future)).

3) If an amplifier or speaker fails you only replace 1 component rather than 2 (I suppose in the future, modular powered speakers may be made but there will a fair amount of extra cost & proprietary parts for a convenience that is already afforded by seperate components).

That said, Most of the difficulties lie with bigger, more complex systems (and in the the future these difficulties may well be addressed). For smaller stages and companies that need flexability with their system(s), I believe they are a great idea.

• Members

except in the more expensive cabs, most of the top cabs only come in 90 degree horiz dispersion patterns which can make augmenting/arraying the rig sometimes more difficult. i too dislike running ac and signal, especially on monitors. when something goes down on a passive setup, there's often more ways to get a rig going in emergencies.

I recently ran a QSC HPR rig with aux fed subs. it was effective. aux fed subs on active cabs is very easy

• Members

Up until pretty recently, Meyer was the only one doing larger-scale, arrayable powered speakers and they were one of the most expensive options. Some manufacturers are following suit now, but even still, speakers and amps in the touring world are mostly separate components. I think a lot of guys prefer it this way because if an amplifier is separate from the speaker and it fails, it's an easy work around. If an amp fails and it's in the middle of your array, 30 feet in the air, you're bummin'.

• Members

I'm actually in the process of moving from a powered to passive rig - bet not many people are doing that these days!

It took one gig to make my mind up on this. Rowdy crowd in close proximity to volume, crossover, mains and signal xlr. Not good.

Set-up time advantages are fairly minimal. I usually end up wasting a load time figuring out how i can best get power to the very front of the stage and telling guitarists that 'this little white plug at the back goes to the FOH don't unplug it'.

Crossover + amps are already patched together and speakons hooked into amps so not much difference in the amount of things that need to be plugged in. Also feel much more comfortable about running an XLR from loom to the amp rack close by rather than half way across the stage.

More space is taken in your car / van, but offset by having the weight distributed more comfortably. Some actives that were two man jobs become one man jobs in passive form.

low-mid level passive speakers are becoming unfashionable and you can get some really good prices - particularly for S/H amps. I reckon you can get more bang for buck going down the passive route.

There is some reasons. Make of them what you will :)

• Members

I recently purchased a pair of JBL PRX 512s. When I bring it up to the band leader he has stated the following:

-The problem is if you lose power, you lose speaker.

My comment: However, this doesn't address the fact that if our current powered mixer loses power we also lose power and speaker.

-Hasn't heard any powered speakers that sound good. My comment: we are currently using a pair of Yamaha Club 15 inch speakers. What do you guys think would sound better.

-I don't like two cables.

My comment: I can understand that. But, I don't really think it's a huge issue.

I think most of it has to do with the fact he just hasn't had much experience. For what we do (weekend bar band), I think the JBL PRX 512 would be an upgrade. Once I add a sub(s) it would be a huge upgrade.

• Members

Yep ... no problem:thu:

How are you doing this exactly? I've built some XLR/power cables using electrical tape, and they work great, but they sure don't coil well, and look like {censored}e...

As previously stated, the need to run power to the speakers is (IMO) the biggest issue. Up until now, finding a solution has been luck and ingenuity...

But the speakers sound great, are light, and NO AMP RACK

• Members

What have you guys been doing with the power cables for the powered speakers? I'm thinking extension cord to the back of the stage where the power outlets are. Speakers on right go to back right, speakers on left go to back left. Am I making this too simple?:confused:

• Members

What have you guys been doing with the power cables for the powered speakers?

I bought some 25' IEC cables for my powered mains:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5295&seq=1&format=2

Those are 14 gauge but 16 gauge would be fine with most speakers:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5288&seq=1&format=2

• CMS Author

What have you guys been doing with the power cables for the powered speakers? I'm thinking extension cord to the back of the stage where the power outlets are. Speakers on right go to back right, speakers on left go to back left. Am I making this too simple?
:confused:

Yes!

You need a 150 amp 3ph distro, with uninterruptible power supply and generator backups, isolated grounding, and a redundant monitoring system. As a minimum.

;)

*It might not be a bad idea to use the same circuit, if not the same outlets, for the FOH systems (mixer, processing, and speakers) IF you run into hum issues at some venues. Just keep this possibility in mind and try to have some quad boxes (oh no, not THAT discussion again:facepalm::lol:) available to combine loads into a few circuits. Many hum issues are caused by different resistances to ground in the house mains circuits, and using a common circuit will reduce this problem. Again, that's only IF you have a problem...if you plug in and all's quiet, go play and don't worry.

• Members

Craig, that was over my head. What exactly is a quad box?

I googled it and found this... http://www.professionalequipment.com/gfci-cord-protection-quad-boxes-15a-6ft-cord-14880-003-012/gfci-cord-protection/

Is it what you are talking about? I lot of the places we play have these installed as their outlets. You are saying if a place has a dual outlet it may cause some noise and to solve the noise I could get one (or as many as necessary) of the boxes I linked above, plug it into the outlet in the wall, and run the power from there?

Archived