hints about some power amps

• Members

hi guys

im looking forward to buy a bigger power amp

i was looking ebay here are mi choices

im planing to use it with two 18 " 400w rms copy of ev speakers, im looking for amp that last

Samson PG3800

Features

560 watts per side @ 8 ohms

900 watts per side @ 4 ohms

1800 watts per side @ 2 ohms

3800 watts bridged mono @ 4 ohms

CREST AUDIO CPX2600

CPX 2600

500w @ 8 ohms

750w @ 4 ohms

1100w @ 2 ohms

1550w 8? bridged

2200w 4?bridged

Tapco J-2500

2 ohms: 1400 W

4 ohms: 750 W

8 ohms: 575 W

4 ohms bridge : 2500 W

8 ohms bridge: 1500 W

thx for your help :thu:

• Members

I would be looking at new QSC GX stuff myself.

What EXACTLY is the speaker???

sorry guys i dont have much info about the LOUDSPEAKER

i bought them in 2001 and still doing fine

there are frontal vented loudspeakers with a 18" done by sound engineer here in mi country y used ones with qsc rated 400w rms 8 ohms and they work really good . my goal is to have my own sound reinforcement to play with my band to cover a 200 fans in a gig

• Members

If you're looking at Samson amps, I would look at the SX series rather than the PG series. I was under the impression from talking to my rep that the PG series were more designed for dj use instead of for using with bands. I've sold quite a few of the SX series (and I have them in my church as well) with good results.

Having said that, I would also say that of the three you listed I would probably choose the Crest. I have a rack with 3 amps labeled "Acoustic", which Samick distributed here in the USA about 10 years back, and these were made by Crest Audio for Samick/Acoustic. VERY well made amps, they've been run pretty hard and have given me no problems at all. I haven't had any sort of bad luck with the Samson SX's, but I haven't had any of them as long as I have had the Crest-built amps, so for longevity, I'd have to vote for the Crest.

I have no experience with the Tapco at all.

• Members

The SX seem ok, heavy but ok. QSC GX would be my 1st choice, Crest 2nd. I don't know what the pricing for those amps are though, you may find some just plain too much $ for whatever reason. I'm a little suspect of a 2.5" VC that's 400w. Seems a tad high.

• CMS Author

If the drivers are EV copies, as tlbonehead and Unalaska wrote, they might have relatively small, 2-1/2" voicecoils, which usually means they don't handle a lot of power. I would be very careful to limit power to 400w and no higher, and use a high-pass filter at 50Hz. Many amps have high-pass filters (HPF) built in. QSC PLX and RMX series amps are an example of this.

• Members

Beware of older Crest products... parts may be next to impossible to find. Same goes for many of the older amps that use either custom driver IC's or class D rail switch modules. QSC MX-1500's and 3000's also fall into this as do Crest PL's, 2501/3501's. some FA's etc.

• Members

thx for all your threads , i know that crest is a serious brand the thing is ,that there is a difference rms rating about the crest 2600 i have seen that works at 8 ohms 550 or 500 rms in severel web pages.

It cost a few $$ more about 500k against samson amps in mi country .I guess a will have to save a extra buck to buy it.

thanks again :thu:

Archived