Audio Technica / Mixwiz - IEM - Question

• Members

Ok...two questions...

We just started using the Audio Technica M2 system. We are running 4 transmitters from 4 aux outs..

1) We are having trouble with volume. We had the aux volume all the way up and some were still not totally satisfied. And then sometimes we were "peaking" on the transmitters and thus causing distortion is some peoples mixes. Is this an earbud issue? or are we just used to loud wedges and this is the entire point of IEM...to be NOT as loud?? We could still hear, just didn't seem "as full" sounding??

2) Secondly, I couldn't get any effects (mostly a little touch of reverb on the vocals is what i was looking for) from our MixWiz into the In-ear monitor mix? Why is this??? Am I not doing something? I use the mixwiz on-board effects.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

• Members

Are you sure the aux master is up? They are at the right side of the board. Did you turn up channels aux 5 or 6 on the individual channels? Is everything miced? What earbuds do you use? You will not get much low end if you dont have a great seal of the ear canal.

• Members

I have been using the Audio-Technica M2 System for about 8 months now. No complaints, but the performers have their own earbuds. Most are using the stock earbuds that either come with the IEM's or can be bought over the counter at Guitar Center (no ultra high end earbuds).

I set the output of the mixer so that the red peak light of the IEM transmitter is illuminated occasionally. There appears to be some headroom even if the peak lights are lit. The earbuds must have a good seal in the ear - this greatly affects the volume level, especially in the low end.

I mixed a 4 piece band over the holidays and everyone had M2's. All the guitar cabinets were DI'ed and the drums were electronic except for a few cymbols (the bleed into the drummers vocal mic worked well). There was virtually no instrument sounds on stage. Everything was fed into the M2's It was the absolute cleanest FOH sound I've ever produced. Not to mention much easier on the back during load in and load out.

• Members

I use M3s and have no issues with volume. Make sure your channel gains are set right. If they are too low, it won't be possible to get high output to ears no matter what you do. Make sure the aux masters are up. Be aware that most Mixwiz boards will be set for -2dbu output unless they have balanced option fitted to make them +4. Six dbu is noticeable. That should be plenty to drive your ears and if it isn't, then you have your gain structure out of whack somewhere.

Good buds make a HUGE difference. The stock AT buds are decent but nothing to write home about. The seal of the buds will make more difference than the buds do after you hit a certain quality level. Lesser buds with a good seal in YOUR ear will sound better than good buds that don't fit your ear correctly. Custom molds are the way to go but $$$. They are reasonable costs for the improvement but you still have to write the check.

• Members

And to expectations. When we made the switch, our "old style" guitarist had a problem accepting that ears would never give you the whomp factor that amps and floor monitors do. He was trying to get stage level in his ears and could not understand that the purpose of the IEM was to REDUCE the damn volume so that you could hear longer. Once he "got it" he started to like them.

If you expect that IEMs are going to be floor monitor volume in your ears, you won't be happy, but they are NOT meant to be that loud. They should sound good, not cranking loud to the point that their benefits are negated.

Make them loud enough to hear well and sound full and then STOP. Thats what they are for.

• Members

If you expect that IEMs are going to be floor monitor volume in your ears, you won't be happy, but they are NOT meant to be that loud.

Exactly. The effective db level to the ear drums is reduced since the performers individual mix is not trying to compete with the rest of the stage volume. Much healthier concept.

• Members

Are you sure the aux master is up? They are at the right side of the board. Did you turn up channels aux 5 or 6 on the individual channels? Is everything miced? What earbuds do you use? You will not get much low end if you dont have a great seal of the ear canal.

Please note this was just a rehearsal and our first time to "try" out our new IEM's. I was personally pretty satisfied. Definitely a change but something i could get used to. I just couldn't get any effects (vocal reverb) from the board into the IEM. but I may have been doing it wrong.

Lets see, back to the answers to your questions above...

Yes, the aux master was up. Almost all the way.

I don't know if i had aux 5 and 6 on the individual channels up? Is that the only way to get effects into the IEM mix? I think I had them up but maybe I did not have them turned up on the "master" side. Hmm... :facepalm:

Everything was mic'ed.

We are all using the stock Audio Technica earburds. However, I have some dual driver custom molds coming in the next week or so. This should help me a lot from what it sounds like...

Archived