Replacement woofer for Yamaha SW118IV

• Members

We are looking to supplement our somewhat budgeted(but effective) PA system with some subs. Between several members in the band we have enough combined sound gear to play smallish- medium sized bar gigs. We have foregone micing the drums (save the kick-which doesn't get turned up very loud) thus far when running our own sound. Honestly, most of the gigs we have played so far haven't really needed it, but our venues and crowds are growing rapidly and I know our sound reinforcement may need to grow accordingly.

The drummer says he already has several mics needed to mic his kit. He also has one key ingredient to our cobbled PA system, which happens to be a pair of Yamaha SW118's. I haven't seen them yet, but apparently they have some age and one of the drivers is blown. After some brief research I discovered the speaks in the club cabs are made by Eminence. Will the 8 ohm Eminence Delta Pro18 speaker be a suitable replacement? I'm looking for the closest match to the original... and cheap. :blah: The DP18 seems to fit the bill, but I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

• Members

Post your location and perhaps someone here can recommend a recone shop local to you. No point in saving on the recone only to pay it anyway for shipping.

I'm in eastern MD but can get to just about anyplace in DE in about 35-45 minutes. An hour to Annapolis and Baltimore. About 1-1.5 to DC, or Philly.

• Members

The Delta pro was not even an option when Yamaha started producing the sub.

I realize that. But the mag and VC size are the same as what the Delta Pro is currently. I don't think Eminence offered an 18" in its regular line that was similar sized to the stock Yam driver, before the Delta Pro. I could be wrong though. BTW, was it what, 6-7 years ago when Eminence went from just model numbers to actual names for their different speaker lines?

• Members

After doing a little more Google searching I stumbled on Brandywine Electronics in Wilmington, DE. They have reconing service and are an authorized service center for just about every pro-audio device and brand under the sun...including Yamaha. I left a message this morning but probably won't hear back from them until Monday.

Brandywine Electronics

Archived