Stagepas 500 for gigs?

• Members

IMO it is not enough to do the job. I mean, that is if the job is a full four piece band performing to a bar crowd with material such as:

Killers, Tragically Hip, Green Day, Collective Soul, The Beatles, The Stones, Roy Orbison, Stevie Ray Vaughn and ZZ Top

Is that the intent or are you planning on doing something else with it?

• Members

it's about what you'd expect from a complete $900 system. 2 10" speakers and like 200 watts ea. if you're a small quiet acoustic band it might work fine. for a louder rockin' type affair you'll run out of sound power in a hurry. there's one at a place i play, where we do a 3 piece band, drums with blasticks, small amps(like an SWR Workingman's 12 for bass, Blues jr for guitar). 50 people audiences right up close..it works surprisingly well. we have only two vocals and don't mic anything.

• Members

Any of you guys use the yamaha stagepas 500 for band gigs? how does it do? how awesome is it to load in the whole pa with just two peices?

I own the Stagepas 500 and it's hella awesome to load in... except I've also got to pack in a powered speaker/monitor, speaker stands, mic stands, guitars and a suitcase full of cables.

Anyway, it's perfect for the "mostly" acoustic open mics I host in two different small/medium sized coffee shop/bars. It's also been used by an acoustic four piece (2 guitars/2 vocals/electric bass and a miked djembe/percussionist) in a larger-sized room, with power to spare.

But, I don't think it would handle a loud electric band in noisier bar settings, without adding additional powered speakers and a powered sub.

So, for acoustic solo/duets and acoustic rock bands in small to medium venues, it's perfect.

Anything bigger and in louder, noisier rooms... go for a more powerful system... or use the house system, which most of those venues should have anyway.

mAXEd

• Members

just got one last week. 2 acoustics or 1 electric/1 acoustic, plus bass and un-mic'd drums, it's great. oh -- guitar center is running a thing thru january. if you trade in any amp and upgrade [amp or pa], you get the trade value of your amp plus 15% off the upgraded equipment. so i just traded in a crate amp i haven't used in years for $75 and got 15% off the stagepas 500. netted out at about $750 out the door.

• Members

Hey Mikerol, that's cool... I got a similar deal at GC's Labor Day Wknd 20% off sale last year... without having to trade anything.

I only buy big ticket items there when there's some kind of sale or trade-in offer deal.

Allows time for the g.a.s. to build up

rock on

mAXEd

• Members

, you get the trade value of your amp plus 15% off the upgraded equipment. so i just traded in a crate amp i haven't used in years for $75 and got 15% off the stagepas 500. netted out at about $750 out the door.

As long as it's the right tool for the job. You're not running your bass guitar through it are you?

• Members

As long as it's the right tool for the job. You're not running your bass guitar through it are you?

no, but i was wondering about it. i think it could take it when playing acoustic rock/country. but i have a feeling anything heavier would cause damage. no need to risk it. running 2 guitars and 2 mics sounds great.

• Members

no, but i was wondering about it. i think it could take it when playing acoustic rock/country. but i have a feeling anything heavier would cause damage. no need to risk it. running 2 guitars and 2 mics sounds great.

You don't want to. It will crush the headroom and make everything else sound worse. Even kick drum through it would be a no no in general.

Archived