New Orleans Bound

• Members

The main band I do sound for is playing the Margaritaville in New Orleans Friday night, for the third time. It is for an annual event called Pardi-Gras. A parrot head version of Mardi-Gras. With as much bitching and moaning as often happens here, I just have to give props to the house sound guy there, Mike. The dude is always helpful during setup and after the first year (when he didn't know my skill level at all) when we are done sound checking he leaves me to do my thing at the board.

Mike makes playing there, and mixing there, a breeze.

• Members

Back from NOLA, and once again, Mike Montero made the show a breeze. We had a couple of moments where we both kind of scratched our head setting up. But once we got all channels working everything else was a breeze.

Then for the street party (with a sound company, not associated with Mike at all) the break came and the sound guy headed off to get some food while break music was playing, not realizing that this being a fund raising event that they needed a live mic for raffle and a live auction. Fortunately for the organizers I was able to find the un-marked channels for the CD and get a mic active. The board was one of those that instead of having mutes it had channel on buttons.

Then he didn't make it back in time for the start of the set so I had to help get everything active for that as well. I like the organizers so it was my pleasure. But Jerry and I know these kinds of events, and we never leave the board unattended without someone to bring up a mic for announcements and the like when needed. Of course 90% of our sound gigs are events like that. So we know what to expect going in.

Archived