Crown's new digi amp

• Members
Pfft, it weighs twice as much as ours. :poke:

Website sez less than 11 lbs for the new XLS's :p. Also it appears to be a DSP amp? Peavey hasn't shipped any of their DSP models yet and what I've seen of their feature set I'm a bit disappointed. OTOH the DSP in the XTi's sucks too. Neither have a fully adjustable limiter and while it's possible the IPR DSP's have limiting in the presets it isn't user adjustable at all? The IPR DSP's also have no computer interface - perhaps we'll see if the XLS has one later today :). Without a computer interface is the firmware in the IPR DSP updateable or do you have to buy a new amp if you upgrade your speakers to ones that aren't in the preset list? As amps can last 20 years that's a serious problem - I suspect there are doing to be a LOT of new speakers released in the next twenty years :lol:.

• Members

If it doesn't end up with an adjustable limiter in it, it's not because we didn't want it in there. It'll be because of hardware limitations, we are trying to hit a pricepoint;). I don't think it's 100% decided yet, so you might want to wait until you see the final product, your call.

• Members
If it doesn't end up with an adjustable limiter in it, it's not because we didn't want it in there. It'll be because of hardware limitations, we are trying to hit a pricepoint;). I don't think it's 100% decided yet, so you might want to wait until you see the final product, your call.

The manual for the IPR 1600 also describes the DSP version - but don't get me started on Peavey manuals :mad:. I know the hardware chip used can do limiting and I'm guessing it will on the presets. Yah, hopefully it's just another screwup to have put the preliminary (and obsolete?) menus and photos for the DSP version in that manual and the final version will have a USB port to make it at least the equal of an XTi but maybe with fully adjustable limiters :)?

• Members
I'm holding out for an amp that's so light it actually makes objects around it lighter. Until then, no deal!

Well, these are light enough to go in those lightweight plastic racks so they actually do lighten your naked racks by 10+ lbs ;). You can stick three of them in a shallow 6U rack and still carry the whole thing with one hand :eek:!

• Members

VERY interesting. I actually really really like the XTI amps. Ive used them to death , sold a boatload of them and other than one amp that wouldnt go into stereo mode (right when the amps were released) I havent had a single issue. I havent gotten any info on these from our Crown rep. If they have a similar interface as the XTI's with a lower price point , they will be a hell of an amp imo

Archived