Mixer Power Supply question - Yamaha MG166CX-USB

• Members

I just got a new Yamaha MG166CX-USB mixer. Their data sheet for the power supply states:

"PA-30 AC adaptor (AC35VCT, 1.4A)

100V, 120V, 220V, 230V or 240V; 50/60Hz"

However when i recieved the unit, the model number is correct, as is the AC35VCT, 1.4A, but the voltage is only 120~V. I specifically wanted a universal supply, as they stated theirs was.

So here's the question: I called the UK and they say their adaptor is also a PA30, however rated for only 230~V.

Does anyone have any clue how I can figure out if this is actually a universal power supply, and not simply a 120V one? No one at Yamaha can give me a straight answer, but their data sheet is clearly misleading, which makes me wonder if the darn this is infact what they say it is - a 100-240V supply.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downloads/data_sheets/mixers/MG_USB_Models_datasheet.pdf

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

• Members

To my knowledge, they don't make a universal supply. They use a big wall wart, basically a transformer in a box.

IMO, this is how they skirt paying for UL approvals. The lump is UL approved, but the mixer is not looked at, since the AC line voltage never enters the mixer.

Given the new "green laws", I'm not sure how they continue to sell these, or if they'll be able to continue to sell them.

• Members

To my knowledge, they don't make a universal supply. They use a big wall wart, basically a transformer in a box.

IMO, this is how they skirt paying for UL approvals. The lump is UL approved, but the mixer is not looked at, since the AC line voltage never enters the mixer.

Given the new "green laws", I'm not sure how they continue to sell these, or if they'll be able to continue to sell them.

I believe this is correct also.

The labeling is clear but only because I breathe this stuff. A universal supply would be generally labeled 100-240V, not 100, 120, 230 or 240v.

• Members

I believe this is correct also.

The labeling is clear but only because I breathe this stuff. A universal supply would be generally labeled 100-240V, not 100, 120, 230 or 240v.

Would that mean that the statement on the datasheet of 100, 120, 230 or 240v is not indicating universal voltage? I'm wondering weather I have a valid claim with Yamaha for misleading me. Maybe they can get me a 220v adaptor for free?

Thanks for all the replies; much appreciated.

• CMS Author

Would that mean that the statement on the datasheet of 100, 120, 230 or 240v is not indicating universal voltage? I'm wondering weather I have a valid claim with Yamaha for misleading me. Maybe they can get me a 220v adaptor for free?

Nope, the data sheet is not misleading, or indicating a universal supply. It's listing the different voltage models they provide. As Andy wrote, a universal supply would be described by the overall ranges it handles, "100-250v, 50-60Hz". It would not list specific supply voltages within the range.

• Members

Nope, I don't think so.

Archived